World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 3/27/2017

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 3/23/2016

Warcraft Orc Painting Process - Here is where the fun begins. This is a helpful trick that I do on almost all of my builds. I take a pic of the costume while the armor is still raw and photoshop approx base colors over it. This helps me decide what direction I wan to go with fur color, armor distressing etc. So the first pic shows one of my early shots in the Orc, next to a Photoshopped color scheme, and then the final product.
Before any of the colors went down I sprayed everything with Valspar black primer. To base out the colors on the orc I used Valspar Color Radiance Flat in 2 different shades of red for the armor. (They don't have names on them just the tops to show the color inside) I used Krylon Hammered Silver for the Trim and Krylon Red Oxide Primer for the horns and leather. I was going to tape off everything then saw how long that was going to take and decided not to. I sprayed in the general areas but wasn't concerned with over-spray since the real details would all be hand painted. Once everything had dried completely I took it all inside to begin the time consuming task of hand painting using Liquitex Heavy Body Acrylics.

wx7j8xbh.jpg

vodCfdMh.jpg

CYCpT3vh.jpg

eegAMgph.jpg

lEfHV7Hh.jpg

sS5tJSIh.jpg

YdPWUqmh.jpg

Last edited:
Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 3/23/2016

Nice.........still following..........

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 3/24/2016

I love it all. I'm just really stunned that you guys can win money with competitions?? :eek:

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 3/24/2016

So how do you know when you have enough Plastidip on there? The detail work is insane. I cant get over how enamored I am with this. Its a shame I didnt see it live...

So how do you know when you have enough Plastidip on there? The detail work is insane. I cant get over how enamored I am with this. Its a shame I didnt see it live...

It's kind of experience to know how much. Because you want enough for a decent costing but not so much that you start to take away your details. Several years ago I distressed a couple of pieces of foam and then practiced on coverage techniques and layer thicknesses.

Warcraft Orc Armor - All of the armor is now plasti coated, primed, and had a base layer of spray paint. From here I black wash all of the armor using a mop brush and Liquitex Heavy Body acrylics ( Mars Black ). A wash is just like it sounds, you load up the brush with a bunch of paint and water and scrub it all of the surface. Then before it dries take a paper towel, rag etc. and wipe off the excess. This lets paint seep down into the details you have created and weathers the armor. At this point I am not concerned about the leather or the horns I am just focusing on the metal parts. After everything has had a chance to dry I start the long process of hand painting all of the red accents. The first layer is Liquitex heavy body Cadmium Red medium Hue and Cadmium Orange Hue. The red and orange play off each other and give the color more depth. Then that is highlighted with Cadmium Red medium ( not the hue ). The hue version of all the Liquitex paints is more transparent and doesn't seem to have as much pigment, which is fine for a first base coat. The Cadmium Red is really makes the armor pop and a little bit goes a long way. You can see from some of the close up shots I want to leave a bunch of the original wash showing through to give the armor a dirty grimy / gritty look.

bBYVWlLh.jpg

9n9DvXyh.jpg

ZnSCS5dh.jpg

isyhijGh.jpg

BldFLaVh.jpg

h5h2dBqh.jpg

TeyTcBAh.jpg

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 3/28/2016

Warcraft Orc Leather - To paint the foam to look like leather takes a little more skill than the armor, the multiple layers are key to giving the foam depth. First I spray Rustoleum dark brown camo to break up the monotony of the rust red. Then I apply multiple layers of black washes. Some I put on extremely wet to simulate the weathering and dying as if it was leather. Then I add more pigment behind straps, around the stitches, and in the folds. The final pic shows a before and after with the black wash application.

Bpcnzifh.jpg

JTPqWbBh.jpg

QXWFMvyh.jpg

9VpEzR8h.jpg

cVJ3owph.jpg

5vWvARuh.jpg

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 3/4/2016

You mention that you use regular mask latex from monster makers can you please indicate which product from the website. Thank you in advance

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 3/29/2016

lost track of this build :facepalm , belated congrats SKS props for the contest win. suit turned amazing , great thread of step by step progress and how to pics I look forward to seeing your orc in a future cosplay vid.

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 3/29/2016

Warcraft Orc " Leather " - Now that all of he black washes have dried its time to start adding some color. This step is the hardest to look believable and will take a ton of practice. I use multiple colors in various drybrushing steps to get the desired look.
Here are the Liquitex Heavy Body acrylics I use and pretty much the order in which I use them : Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Raw Sienna, Indian Yellow, Cadmium Yellow Deep and Hue The Cadmium Red and Hue and applied as a wash over certain straps just so everything doesn't look to uniform. You basically just have to judge where you want the highlights and where the "leather" would get the most wear.

APgvaB1h.jpg

wXreKXGh.jpg

Sy18EGeh.jpg

WmcdH9Eh.jpg

QFi6Wegh.jpg

Xy6nozjh.jpg

zdK1Zymh.jpg

wrw10ruh.jpg

15WtU64h.jpg

dKHEXA9h.jpg

aLnWbPIh.jpg

4s7E3Ywh.jpg

Better than watching telly. You re not popular in our house though. I told my Wife after my Iron Man mk1 build that id take a break. Now you ve got me building a muscle suit.....

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 3/30/2016

Warcraft Orc Shield - The shield had a wood texture scribbled into the foam using a dremel and I really want to accent that with the paint job. It is easy when using similar colors to make everything look muddy. The way to alter this is simply by practicing how the paint in applied. Depending on how you drybrush it can drastically make the finished product appear to be a different material. Just like the leather first thing is to black wash the entire piece. Then using Raw Sienna, Indian Yellow, and Unbleached Titanium I drybrush the wood surface of the shield. The laughing skull and metal trim are painted black and highlighted with a mixture of Liquitex Rich Silver and Bright Silver. The same technique is also applied to the skull on his belt.

CdLRFFih.jpg

PGQyGBBh.jpg

mDP63dxh.jpg

C04661ph.jpg

bsmObaFh.jpg

jpm2jjNh.jpg

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 3/31/2016

OMG...I just found the thread and worked my way through every single post. STUNNING WORK

One question seems to be yet unanswered, what is the overall WEIGHT???

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 3/31/2016

OMG...I just found the thread and worked my way through every single post. STUNNING WORK

One question seems to be yet unanswered, what is the overall WEIGHT???

Thanks! The entire costume weighs in at approx 25 pounds

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back