Veektohr's Half-builds & The Occasional Finished One - Zombie MGCs

Re: Flash-Bashes and Blasters (Obi Saber Upgrayyyydez)

Sofar I haven't seen anybody use the Mechanismo technical drawing with an explanation of the working parts . . . to build the inerts of OB1's lightsaber :
Chaïm

You're up buddy! Get to squishing some crystal chamber action up in that "da-da-da-daaa SUPER GRENADE!" of yours. You could use EL-wire for #7 and #8! ;) I still can't figure out if #3 is a rod or a cone. Don't forget to add an "Illodium PU-36 explosive space modulator" for @newmagrathea and @veektohr in there somewhere!

You guys are forgetting one thing: the booster bearing.

I'm forgetting... what's a booster bearing? Do you mean the Booster / Barrel Attachment for Flash Hider? <--- the gear looking thing. Or is there another part yet besides the 'booster' and the 'flash hider'?

Last edited:

I'm forgetting... what's a booster bearing? Do you mean the Booster / Barrel Attachment for Flash Hider? <--- the gear looking thing. Or is there another part yet besides the 'booster' and the 'flash hider'?

Booster with flash hider:

604A6276-8973-464A-85F6-D4FD70028059_zpsy5qkq3xc.jpg

Booster with bearing:

DSC01246_zpsd141ef83.jpg

So it's more or less an end cap then. O.K. That may be the first one I've seen.

If I'm seeing it correctly, someone a long time ago, in a war far away, said...let's make this part with some holes in it, ya know, just incase anyone ever wants to use it to make a FX-version lightsaber prop and have it make laser-sword sounds with a speaker hidden inside it! Yep, I think that's what they said alright.

Seriously though... If the prop master had to return these parts to Bapty... I don't see them cutting the Flash Hider. As much as I like thd9791 's idea, I think the Bearing is the more likely scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:

The clamp's pressure isn't enough to hold this together. Maybe it was wood, but i have yet to see a valid explanation for an empty clamp, sorry guys

The clamp's pressure isn't enough to hold this together. Maybe it was wood, but i have yet to see a valid explanation for an empty clamp, sorry guys

No disagreement there... there had to be something else holding together... but all I'm saying is that all cutting up the flash hider does is to add structural support to the clamp... which I'm my opinion isn't needed... and does nothing to hold everything together because you still need to attach the flash hider to the grenade somehow. Which means a single rod, or wooden dowel as Chaim mentioned, would work better...

I don't think anyone said it was empty. Something is probably there because we can see a wrap or glue residue coming from under the clamp. If you want to put a flash hider, I say go for it! It works, it makes sense, but that doesn't change the fact that it's conjecture no matter what we put there.

- - - Updated - - -

Back on topic! Hey Victor, we need more pictures!

O.K., hear me out. I'm not saying it's empty. I'm not saying it has wood in it. I'm not saying it doesn't have half of a flash hider tucked up in it.

But what if it was just one long threaded rod. Would it fit? I don't have anything but y'all's pictures so I'm just guessing here. This may even be too complicated, but envision it this way with me for a second... ( --- this is the rod, > < these are the direction of tension on the nuts/washers/parts)

Faucet Cap ---> Nut ---> Washer (holds faucet handle to booster)---> Faucet Handle ---> Booster ---> Booster Bearing (with bent wires to clamp) <--- Washer <--- Nut (holds booster towards back of clamp)---> Nut ---> Washer (holds grenade towards front of clamp) ---> Grenade <--- Balance Pipe <--- Nut / Cone

The idea I'm having here is two fold:

1. Using nuts and washers between the Booster Bearing and the Grenade will keep them apart from one another. It's easy to just screw the nuts away from one another until you have the appropriate distance between the Booster Bearing and the Grenade to fill the gap beneath the clamp. Therefore, you wouldn't have to cut a big dowel to length and drill a hole through it. And, you wouldn't have to cut a rented part in twain.

2. Even with this configuration, which holds everything together solidly from end to end, (because the Clamp doesn't hold the Bearing with enough pressure, but it's close enough in diameter to let it rock only a little, and it's held mostly in place from side to side with bent wire) it still leaves just enough play at the Bearing end to account for the bend in the Chronicles photo.

... what do ya think? Feasible? Plausible? Validable? (I know that one's not a real word) ;)
teecrooz is right, we're bogarting veektohr's thread here a bit. Apologies. veektohr , I haven't looked back far enough maybe... did you decide on the chunky grenade or the green one? I too would like to see how your lightsaber is progressing!

p.s. As I 'Preview' this, I think I am saying it's empty... with nuts.:lol

Last edited by a moderator:

all cutting up the flash hider does is to add structural support to the clamp....

sorry to continue this, but that's just plain not true. When you're using some sort of rod, you use nuts. and the nuts have to sandwich something together. You can't sandwich the booster and grenade together without something in the middle to keep the 2 inch length for the clamp.So the FH actually creates a solid mid-section that sits precisely inside the grenade's bottom ridge and solidly threads into the booster. This isn't really about the clamp but about giving the whole thing a solid spine.

I know this may be petty, but telling me it's pointless or doesn't do anything isn't factual. I don't want new people coming in here and getting wrong information.

You could still bolt the emitter/Grenade and the booster/sink knob on two separate bolts, but then you've got the complicated problem of adding a third​ source of support for the center.

Edit: that's not to mention, there are no cotter pins or brass screws on screen. I suppose it depends on which version you're talking about...during or post production, but the post set up was just for documentation and not actual handling.

Edit#2: @teecrooz There's a difference between conjecture/guesswork and this. I have no idea why what I did is so useless to some, nor have I still heard another option of what keeps that grenade in place on a rod, so this whole thing is irking the **** out of me.

Last edited:

There is no reason to get upset and no one said it was useless. You found a solution that works for you, but it does not make it fact. It will all remain conjecture until the prop is found. A stack of washers accomplishes the exact same purpose.

I never claimed it to be fact, nor did I challenge that it was just conjecture man.

I was paraphrasing; I said I liked this way because it seems to fit, other people like other ways. and offered my evidence. I was open to discussing just the bearing (check out how I asked what else would be in the clamp) and he never really filled that blank space in, but really wanted to push this point home anyways.

If you're trying to be supportive, I appreciate it, but I really feel I'm not the one who was being difficult.

Ok... I don't want to derail Victor's thread here anymore than it's already been and I certainly don't mean any offense to Tom and his build.

My point is that I agree with what Chaim pointed out earlier, that the original prop makers were under time and budget constraints and that they would have taken the path of least resistance in their build; which to me is a single rod or a dowel threaded through everything; which is what always amazes me about this lightsaber in the way everything just "fits" together.

My build was very similar to Tom's build with the exception that I used the booster bearing and incorporated the brass top plate of the grenade to use as a guide for the threaded rod; hence my supposition that its not the flash hider that provides the structural integrity, but the rod, or in this case rods, themselves:

IMG_2150.JPGIMG_2151.JPGIMG_2152.JPGIMG_2083.JPGIMG_2177.JPG

And I'm not saying my build is *better* or more *accurate* - in fact I don't think that this was the way at all the prop makers did it; too overly complicated and too many moving parts. I built mine this way because I wanted to incorporate as many of the grenade and booster parts as possible without any widening of holes or having to cut my flash hider.

I agree with Chris; we'll never know the answer and it's all conjecture. And all builds are good builds so long as you feel comfortable with how you make it and the ultimate end result :)

Back on topic... more pics Victor!!

No need to worry about derailing anything guys! Mi casa es su casa.

Wait wait wait, I played that wrong. I'm so upset. The only thing that could make this better would be a booster in my stocking. The address of my stocking is available upon request. :p

In other news I found... a bearing... lol. Attached to some random flash-hider. I bought it anyway because I have a sickness that's eating me slowly from the inside of my bank account outward.

iERmCCt.jpg

Last edited:

Anybody familiar with this weird lookin' thing?

JQ426UJ.jpg

I'm assuming it's a booster variant. Looks like one for British .303, but smooth not finned.

Anybody familiar with this weird lookin' thing?

http://i.imgur.com/JQ426UJ.jpg

I'm assuming it's a booster variant. Looks like one for British .303, but smooth not finned.

I can honestly say that I've never come across a booster like that in all my searches... but if it truly is a ANM2 variant, I'd definitely be interested in it for a side project of mine...

I can honestly say that I've never come across a booster like that in all my searches... but if it truly is a ANM2 variant, I'd definitely be interested in it for a side project of mine...

It's on its way to me, so I'll get some better pictures up once it's here. :thumbsup It's also coming with some old cotter pins if anybody wants one for their Tunisia saber.

Re: Flash-Bashes and Blasters (Weird Booster Thingy?)

Perhaps that is a booster for a MKI (post 156)? I know the boosters generally weren't "finned" on the MKI. That one above that (post 155) looks like a .30 1919a1 booster, although the 1919's had many variants due to different calibers barrels lengths and barrel jacket configurations. Perhaps the second pic (post 156 again) is one of those as well. The 1919 came in .50, .30-06, and .308. It also somewhat looks like a very small booster wrench type of deal. I'm super excited to see what it actually is once it arrives to you, Veektohr.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back