Veektohr's Half-builds & The Occasional Finished One - Zombie MGCs

Re: Veektohr's Flash-Bashes and Blasters (Denix Lock Frame Insert)

Decided to make a better trigger too. I mocked up a hybrid of a real C96 trigger and the Denix one in Photoshop, then did a first pass in Fusion again. I wish there wasn't such a long turnaround time with Shapeways, but what can you do? It'll be fun to see how any of these parts fit.

PTr6jQo.jpg qyBRycn.png

Re: Flash-Bashes and Blasters (Update: modeled new Denix trigger)

Alright, after all that wait... the lockframe was too small! It looks cool, though. But yeah, I'm not going to try and fit it. I have a real one now to measure off of, which actually looks like it would fit the Denix if I wanted to chop it down (which I don't). But here it is:

ezaLTDq.jpg IEkAS5g.jpg

However, the hammer looks pretty good! It's a hybrid of a real New-Safety model and the Denix. Here they are all lined up.

FbnLkAn.jpg eKBRSh3.jpg

The fitting for the Denix hammer spring is on the other side. Of course I had to see if at least that worked...

And it does! The pivot point is a little off, so it doesn't sit flush against the slide. I'll have to fix that. Still, it's exciting that at least one thing works considering the amount of time I have to wait between modeling something and actually having it to play with.

J9PJSZQ.jpg

Sooooo time to use the real lock-frame to get some final measurements from and make this darn thing work completely. The trigger I made should arrive next week, so that will be a nice little break from modeling to see if it fits as well. Version 3, here we come.

Last edited by a moderator:

The pivot point is a little off, so it doesn't sit flush against the slide. I'll have to fix that.
On the Denix, I think that the bolt's handle is a bit too thick and I think also that the upper receiver is too far back compared to a real Mauser C96.
The easiest mod would be to file down the bolt handle to accurate thickness.

Moving the upper receiver forwards (and down...) would be quite a bit more work. But of course it is possible. (I've done it...)
I would very much like to have a pewter cast of that hammer of yours ... ;)

BTW, did you find a way to mount a spring on the "takedown latch"? On a real Mauser C96, the spring is ... the same piece of metal as the pin that the hammer swivels on.

Last edited:

Yeah, I noticed that. I was thinking it would be easier to rework the hammer, than to do such an invasive body mod... although I'm already gonna mill out the backside eventually. Do you have pictures of how you moved the upper?

When I got the real lockframe in this week, I saw that the pin and latch spring were one and the same. The whole thing is remarkably designed. That's something I was planning on adding for this third pass. I want to machine the final parts once I know it is all going to fit and work properly. I think that I can get that hammer pivot to work the same way. In fact not having to line everything up with that pre-drilled hole in the Denix might make things easier for the design in general. Then it could just clip in the back with the tension of the takedown latch, and I could aluminum solder over those old holes. Fun idea!

I think once things are finally finished I could easily do some cast parts if people were interested. I'm gonna get everything working 100% first, though!

On the Denix, I think that the bolt's handle is a bit too thick and I think also that the upper receiver is too far back compared to a real Mauser C96.
The easiest mod would be to file down the bolt handle to accurate thickness.

Moving the upper receiver forwards (and down...) would be quite a bit more work. But of course it is possible. (I've done it...)
I would very much like to have a pewter cast of that hammer of yours ... ;)

BTW, did you find a way to mount a spring on the "takedown latch"? On a real Mauser C96, the spring is ... the same piece of metal as the pin that the hammer swivels on.

Re: Flash-Bashes and Blasters (Update: Denix Lockframe V2 - Hammer works)

Slowly! I actually have a few, so the one you see is just sitting there doing nothing. The one being stripped is still getting stripped : / It's taking a very long time. The shop took the chrome off, only to find layers of copper and nickel below those. They've finally gotten to the ZAMAK pot-metal, so I'm going to hopefully pick those parts up this week. Then we'll be able to see what's up. Hopefully it'll be worth the hassle and the wait.

How's the gold MGC coming along?

This is making me want to try my hand at a blaster at some point...

Slowly! I actually have a few, so the one you see is just sitting there doing nothing. The one being stripped is still getting stripped : / It's taking a very long time. The shop took the chrome off, only to find layers of copper and nickel below those. They've finally gotten to the ZAMAK pot-metal, so I'm going to hopefully pick those parts up this week. Then we'll be able to see what's up. Hopefully it'll be worth the hassle and the wait.

Nice, I found the copper when I scratched away at an inner part. I thought the shiny under the copper was polished die cast, maybe it is nickel plating.
I'm gonna have a go at it with brasso and 3m microfine pads. Hope it will work well, I see these gold ones all the time (I live in Japan). Could have got 3 this month alone, one as cheap as £50. They all have had very realistic plastic grips so far, and plugged barrels (solid metal - depth unknown. Will drill out eventually) but with MGC detail and quality everywhere else.

If it works, I'll have to fight to keep it when I move back to the U.K. haha! A DL-44 is technically illegal, I believe.

Yeah, the gold ones are much easier to come by - and always for a lot cheaper. I haven't gotten a bill for the stripping yet, so we'll see whether the juice was worth the squeeze or not. I'll be eager to see how yours turns out too!

Nice, I found the copper when I scratched away at an inner part. I thought the shiny under the copper was polished die cast, maybe it is nickel plating.
I'm gonna have a go at it with brasso and 3m microfine pads. Hope it will work well, I see these gold ones all the time (I live in Japan). Could have got 3 this month alone, one as cheap as £50. They all have had very realistic plastic grips so far, and plugged barrels (solid metal - depth unknown. Will drill out eventually) but with MGC detail and quality everywhere else.

If it works, I'll have to fight to keep it when I move back to the U.K. haha! A DL-44 is technically illegal, I believe.

Yours is looking good. I never would have thought to get one of those gold ones and trying to strip it.

Mine's getting there, but unfortunately I find myself not working on projects as much anymore with my busy schedule.

"Busy-schedule" being the XBox in the background... ;)

"Busy-schedule" being the XBox in the background... ;)

Oh you know how it goes! ;) Nah, I'm one of those kind of guys that needs white noise, so I'll put random TV series on in the background while I work.

Yours is looking good. I never would have thought to get one of those gold ones and trying to strip it.

Mine's getting there, but unfortunately I find myself not working on projects as much anymore with my busy schedule.

[url]http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy98/JaxAndTheMoon/DSC_0013_zpssyk8adnw.jpg[/URL]

Thanks! We've all been there. Sometimes it feels like I can finish all my projects at once... Others it feels like I haven't looked at them in weeks. It's ups and downs always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool. Would definitely be into a cast or machined trigger and hammer.

Kind of a non-post. Got the trigger in, and although the shape is nice it's too big. I kind of expected this after the scale issue I had with the last iteration of the lock frame. This will be an easy fix, though. Don't worry guys I got calipers for next time!!

Nice enough shape.
uxdzIC9.jpg

With that nasty Denix trigger.
FkvJLvw.jpg
With a real trigger.
kBsjR5v.jpg

Womp, womp.
BkosfVz.jpg

A little too big, and I gotta make the spring sit a little higher so that there's more tension on it. Back to the computer for me! I fully distracted myself with a Pulse Rifle build recently, but I'm going to make sure I sit down and finish modeling the next pass this week. I'm determined to get this stuff to work, and I have a date with my friend's machine shop soon so I want to be able to make the most of it when I'm there. Like most of my projects: frustrating but encouraging : /

Re: Flash-Bashes and Blasters (Update: better denix trigger, kinda)

Life has kind of put a halt to most of these projects, but I got something fun in the mail that's convinced me to get cracking again. I've had the steel DEC Hensoldt just sitting around unbuilt waiting for this Denix to be finished (since my MGCs were destroyed by a plating house). Anyhow, I figured why cold blue it? It's steel. Blue that thing for real... so I did!

JlsgUx7.jpg HLrmoRB.jpg

I'm really happy with how it turned out. Hot blueing is always so much richer than even the best / most patient cold-bluing. Anyhow, this is just the kick in the pants I needed to keep this project going I think.

Re: Flash-Bashes and Blasters (Update: hot-blued DEC scope - nice!)

That scope came out great, Im going to try to hot blue one of Todd's scopes. I thought only one of the MGC's got destroyed? I remember your post about them doing something you asked them not to. Sorry to hear regardless of how many you have...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back