Robotech: Southern Cross ATAC Armor

I'm using rare earth magnets throughout, so that I don't have to take up space with mechanical connectors. I have been thinking about the backpack, and I don't think I'll get it done in time for CONvergence (July 7-9) I do want to make the complete kit. So yes, I was thinking about making it functional, either to store water like with a camel back and/or as a cooling system. Not sure exactly yet how I would want to accomplish that task.

I agree that there could be a leverage problem if it was holding any weight, so I was already planning on building an H-harness into the breast & back plate to provide additional structural support than just the EVA foam. I already have 1" and 2" nylon web strapping for it when I get to that point. I expect that it would sit much like a normal backpack would and with just a 1-2L it won't get that heavy. I would try to keep the magnets as the primary connection mechanism. I have some decent bar magnets that are about 1" x 1/4" x 1/8" that when using the default 3-4 attachment points (given the lower back one is long I could see putting 2 magnets there) should be able to handle the 2+ kgs of weight of that much water, plus the weight of the pack itself. We'll see how it goes, but that's further down the list.

I like the way you think. I think that when/if I start on my own build of this I'll have to do the same thing and build an H-harness into the cuirass to help support the weight of a loaded pack.

Not recently, there have been health issues at home that have pulled my attention and resources away from this. I'm hoping to get back to soon.

Sorry to hear about that. Hope things get better soon, I'm really anxious to see how this turns out since I've been wanting to do this costume myself for ages now.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back