Shane Black's The Nice Guys (Post-release)

What surprised me was when the first trailer I saw came on tv they actually used the old Warner Bros logo from the late 60s-early 1970s. I thought that was a nice touch to make it feel like it's from the time period.

'The Nice Guys' Is In Censor Trouble And Its India Release Has Been Postponed By A Week

The Nice Guys will be butchered upon its release in India. Damn Censor Board.

The Nice Guys made 11 million over the weekend, as large portion of the American audience didn't watch it or chose to watch The Angry Birds over a Shane Black movie. Bravo.

Let's continue moaning about sequels, remakes, toy franchises and lack of original movies being made in Hollywood.

Last edited:
Keep hearing great things about this - I'll be hitting it up this weekend I think.

It is indeed a shame that the general audience doesn't seem to be hungry for original film (though, argument could be made for Zootopia)

I saw this over the weekend with my wife and a friend and we all loved it, it was a great film, lots of fun, and they did a really good job with '70s feel. I wonder if the fact that it was kind of a hard R movie without the branding of Deadpool had anything to do with its poor box officer performance, that or people just aren't interested in a period piece set in the '70s. Regardless, it's a real shame that it didn't do better, it definitely deserved better and we need more original movies that aren't part of a franchise (Star Wars, Star Trek, & super heroes) or a sequel/prequel, or reboot.

edgarwright: "Saw 'The Nice Guys' for a 2nd time with a packed house at @CentralPictureH and it remains a blast. Please let Shane Black do noir forever."

Bit of a necrobump but I caught this on HBO last night, so forgive me.

I liked this film. The acting and writing, especially coming from the kid in the film, are really good and it's fun and noir-ish both. My only problem is that it's just a good film when it's so close to being a great film. I felt the directing and editing was just a bit mundane and had things been staged in a way to just make the jokes, and really, the dialogue pop just a bit more rather than just that standard two-shot of the line and then the reaction. I think audiences focus that much more on the dialogue when it's just the actors simply working in front of the camera, especially when the acting is as good and the lines as sharp as it was in this film.

The music in the film as a bit sub-par, too, I felt. It doesn't need to be memorable or grand or anything like that but it was more of that modern "filler", "nothing" music that really doesn't add much to tone or atmosphere of the film but merely noise to underscore some action. I wish there was a more modern term like "Mickey Mouse-ing" for that rapid "Bum-BUM-BUM" music that plays when people run or fight.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back