Dragon gets Star Wars licence

Re: Dragon making a 1/35 AT-AT

I'm not a huge accuracy guy, rivet counter or whatever- but if their teaser pic shows a stack of reference books, and then people are saying it looks like it's not accurate, how can that be?

Brian

I'm not a huge accuracy guy, rivet counter or whatever- but if their teaser pic shows a stack of reference books, and then people are saying it looks like it's not accurate, how can that be?

Brian
Unfortunately, most of those "reference" books are wrong, except for the "Blueprints" and "Sculpting the galaxy" maybe.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Yeah a lot of those reference books are pre-production art and not accurate to the final model. The fan made blueprint art may also be off in some areas.

Brian

Most of the books show drawings and not the actual AT-AT used in the movies. And you can't get an accurate models with just 3 or 4 pics found in a book, you need hundred (I would say thousand) of pics to get it accurate.

What at we have seen in this 2 teaser pics clearly shows they have not done the job, from the basic shape to the smallest details, nothing looks right.

Most of the reference books available for Star Wars, especially the cutaways, take loads of creative license in an attempt to flesh out and emphasize the "hard sci-fi" aspect of the universe.

Most of the books show drawings and not the actual AT-AT used in the movies. And you can't get an accurate models with just 3 or 4 pics found in a book, you need hundred (I would say thousand) of pics to get it accurate.

What at we have seen in this 2 teaser pics clearly shows they have not done the job, from the basic shape to the smallest details, nothing looks right.

I guess I didn't look close enough to see what books they were actually using. Just assumed they would use pictures of the actual models, not those drawings and 'cut-away' ones.

Thanks for your comments.

Brian

Dragon release their line-up:

http://dragon-models.com/Star_war/Star_War_Page.html

SW.jpg

Another 1/144 Falcon,......c'mon we can handle a larger scale!!!!

J

How does this impact Bandai? Is it "Asia mainland only" the way Badai might be "Japan only"--though I thought Bandai was more of Asia than just Japan? Is Bandai losing the license? And what's with them fricking scales. The carpet monster won't be swallowing just parts; it will swallow whole kits.

I find interesting that there's only one "set". A 1/144 X-wing or TIE will be very small to be on its own box, IMO!

Dragon release their line-up:

http://dragon-models.com/Star_war/Star_War_Page.html

http://dragon-models.com/Star_war/SW.jpg

Another 1/144 Falcon,......c'mon we can handle a larger scale!!!!

J

1/35 AT-AT is appealing. For others I'd wait to see them.

But if I were to decide which models to do in 144 scale, I'd go with a rebel transport and blockade runner. MF is OK but we already have 2, would they be able to be better than Bandai one? I doubt but we'll see. Why to compete in an area already crowded? A 1/72 MF based on 5 footer would be the kit to be remembered for years, which ever company would decide to produce (if ever).

If we had more bigger ships in 1/144, then 144th TIE, X-wings etc. would make much more sense. IMHO, especially TIE fighters are way too small to be made in 1/144. What was the scale of F-toys ones (TIE advanced etc.)?
1/35 AT-AT is a bold move but the others... well, not so daring. I hope they'd continue bold moves in next phases.

And please a 1/72 B-wing, in phase II. A 1/48 would be what I'd call bold (although not sure if there is a big enough market for a 1/48 B-wing)

BTW Bandai's Asia license may be non-exclusive, or Dragon's one being worldwide. Just guesses.

Those fighters all in 1/144... TINY. Good for a massive dogfight diorama though - if they are not stupid expensive. I guess a lot of the F-toys were 1/144 and I do like those... Ah hell... more stuff to buy.

Looks to me like their strategy is to make one "statement" model and then a bunch of little money makers :) Hopefully the AT-AT will kill and motivate them for a TFA Falcon :).

Jedi Dade

Since I missed out on the F-Toys I don't mind the 1/144 stuff (apart from the Falcon, since it's already been done by Fine Molds and Bandai)

as long as...

a) They are easier to get without having to buy blind box items, or paying over $50 on e-Bay for the specific one you want

b) They are not outrageously priced for that size

1/35 AT-AT is appealing. For others I'd wait to see them.

But if I were to decide which models to do in 144 scale, I'd go with a rebel transport and blockade runner. MF is OK but we already have 2, would they be able to be better than Bandai one? I doubt but we'll see. Why to compete in an area already crowded? A 1/72 MF based on 5 footer would be the kit to be remembered for years, which ever company would decide to produce (if ever).

If we had more bigger ships in 1/144, then 144th TIE, X-wings etc. would make much more sense. IMHO, especially TIE fighters are way too small to be made in 1/144. What was the scale of F-toys ones (TIE advanced etc.)?
1/35 AT-AT is a bold move but the others... well, not so daring. I hope they'd continue bold moves in next phases.

And please a 1/72 B-wing, in phase II. A 1/48 would be what I'd call bold (although not sure if there is a big enough market for a 1/48 B-wing)

BTW Bandai's Asia license may be non-exclusive, or Dragon's one being worldwide. Just guesses.

I think these smaller models are trying to undercut gaming pieces like x-wing expansion , they are probably aiming for that market rather than traditional modelers.

I agree , more capitol ships ......Blockade runner, destroyer and superstar destroyers , medical frigate, death stars

Yah, but think how good those 1/144 TIEs will look zipping around blasting your 1/144 Falcon!
I may have to get a couple of those.
And I'm VERY curious to see their Falcon...

I'm not at all interested in their 1/144 line. But like others have said, this is Phase 1. Depending on price, I will probably get the 1/35 AT-AT. (Who am I kidding...of course I'll get it).

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back