Crackerjazz' Bandai 1/144 TFA Falcon

It'll drive me bananas if JJ just rotates the gunports without explaining it or if they use some cheap "seatbelts on the Enterprise" CG trickery to justify it. Hopefully, the finished shots in the movie just never show the disc rotated at all.

EDIT: It's also interesting to note the new paint scheme on the mandibles. The TFA version shows a definite darker hull base color than the plating. I guess Han decided to do some touch up painting while installing the new radar dish. :wacko
What was the seat belt thing? I forget
Lovely colour reference....

Heres a nice shot of the Falcon's underside from that last TV spot,....notice that the turret has turned forwards again:

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums... TFA/Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 07.45.04_1.png

J

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

What was the seat belt thing? I forget

In 'Into Darkness' JJ CGI'd seatbelts that appear from nowhere, magically click-click-click into position, then magically disappear again without a trace.
Star+Trek+Into+Darkness+seatbelts.jpg

Going to see the movie toonight, I won't post anything being feared to spoil someone :eek

But fill free to ask questions via mp if you want to know stuff about the Falcon :thumbsup

Will see the movie in 4 hours till now so don't hesitate ;)

Hi Pinousse, I'm sure you're still in shock. They say it's that good. But as soon as you come to can you tell us how the Falcon looked on-screen? Were there lots of details for us modelers? Was it a warm/sandy or more neutral type of gray? (as if one can remember) And was the Falcon all CGI -- or was there any hint that some shots were of an actual model? I should just watch it, should't I? :)

Hi Pinousse, I'm sure you're still in shock. They say it's that good. But as soon as you come to can you tell us how the Falcon looked on-screen? Were there lots of details for us modelers? Was it a warm/sandy or more neutral type of gray? (as if one can remember) And was the Falcon all CGI -- or was there any hint that some shots were of an actual model? I should just watch it, should't I? :)

Won't comment on the movie (yet). All the Falcon flying shots were CG. Very CG. For all the promotion of practical effects there is a LOT of CG -- some good, some dodgy. There are a lot of times it skids along the ground through dirt and snow. The full size set looks good, but the airbrushed (or spray can) weathering looks a bit overdone in places. It looks a bit off in the same way that the Smithsonian paint job on the TOS Enterprise looks -- right details but overdone.

It goes by so fast that I'm not sure how the gun ports swivel. There's a shot of the gun itself pivoting back and forth, and Finn comments that they've taken a hit and he can't rotate them into position, but there's no close up of the entire disc rotating. Basically, they show them in the backwards firing position, but don't show how that's possible. As for colors, it looks more on the sandy white side than gray. There are definitely panels that have darker shades than on the physical models -- on the mandibles and cockpit.

Won't comment on the movie (yet). All the Falcon flying shots were CG. Very CG. For all the promotion of practical effects there is a LOT of CG -- some good, some dodgy. There are a lot of times it skids along the ground through dirt and snow. The full size set looks good, but the airbrushed (or spray can) weathering looks a bit overdone in places. It looks a bit off in the same way that the Smithsonian paint job on the TOS Enterprise looks -- right details but overdone.

It goes by so fast that I'm not sure how the gun ports swivel. There's a shot of the gun itself pivoting back and forth, and Finn comments that they've taken a hit and he can't rotate them into position, but there's no close up of the entire disc rotating. Basically, they show them in the backwards firing position, but don't show how that's possible. As for colors, it looks more on the sandy white side than gray. There are definitely panels that have darker shades than on the physical models -- on the mandibles and cockpit.

Pretty much all said I haven't also not spot any sign of rotating turret. As for the color clearly not grey much more on the sand side also for me. I will have to see the film a second time to realy this time trying to spot details rather then following the story. And I LOVED it ;)

Well, that's good news for me, because I've already decided I'm going for a "warm" Falcon when I get around to painting it.
Already started on the interior, and decided to go with navy blue in place of black, just to give it some extra color and contrast to the warm white of the exterior.

You know? I think that if I were to picture my perfect falcon it would probably be the 1/2 full size falcon sitting in mos eisley. That was the first time we ever saw it and that's what will always be stuck in my head. And it's definitely on the warm side

You know? I think that if I were to picture my perfect falcon it would probably be the 1/2 full size falcon sitting in mos eisley. That was the first time we ever saw it and that's what will always be stuck in my head. And it's definitely on the warm side

Yup. Exactly the look I'm going for.

star_wars_movies_falcon_han_solo_spaceships_millenium_harrison_ford_blaster_ramp_desktop_1600x12.jpg

For me, the "perfect" Falcon is the 5-footer as it does that spin turn while escaping the Death Star hanger in ANH. That's why I tend to paint my Falcons on the monochromatic side.

Hey, thanks, guys! :)

rqO3MBd.jpg

A lot of stuff to remove and fix....

PwUp5wh.jpg

sTx4r1I.jpg

lAj9E1x.jpg

g6sm1pI.jpg

Will be replacing the oval pieces with wire or thin styrene rod.

c3HORAH.jpg

r6jyqr8.jpg

5Ze4AmH.jpg

g715Mux.jpg

HQ1sZjk.jpg

nnOzyPO.jpg

JKAgKNf.jpg

yKkkXwz.jpg

fVb1WtX.jpg

vmaGi7n.jpg

YwLQ2A2.jpg

f3gFP2E.jpg

Still have the lower half of the frame to do.....Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back