Gremlins Bathroom Buddy

laellee

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just throwing this out there, anybody up for a bathroom buddy? Both toothpaste and shaving cream working?

4I3vcQR.jpg

It's a perfect side-project for me.... Seriously awesome. I just don't want to make one, I wanna make three !

- - - Updated - - -

And, side note, that is not accurate at all..... .... I want to make the good one that looks like bakelite...... :)

Well I have a template drawn up, But I've gotta go back through the Bluray and see if I can determine what the knobs and caps are. There was a shirt design that listed all of the things the bathroom buddy was supposed to have, but that may not strictly be canon to the movie. As soon as I revise my stuff, I'll post it up and we can start to figure out if I have anything goofed up on it. I'm also going to start trying to source pieces such as the toothbrush and the razor. :thumbsup

Last edited:
I don't know if these are helpful or not, but here are some crappy pics of a surviving Bathroom Buddy from Joe Dante's collection.

2014-05-31 16.07.08.jpg2014-05-31 16.06.59.jpg2014-05-31 16.06.56.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if these are helpful or not, but here are some crappy pics of a surviving Bathroom Buddy from Joe Dante's collection.

View attachment 562596View attachment 562595View attachment 562594

Actually, REEEEEEAAAAALLLLYYYYY helpful! I pulled as many screencaps as I could from the blueray, but a lot of details were near impossible to get a nice shot on. I didn't catch the patterning on the compact mirror cover until the second scene with the Buddy, and even then I couldn't tell if it was 'zebra' or some other alternating black and white pattern... Thanks a ton for this. I had also (mistakenly it looks like) assumed that the original body ISN'T Wood, but it looks like wood here. Also, from screencaps, that ttachment above the mirror door looked like a second toothbrush, but in your pics it looks like.... Well, I have no idea. it looks to me like a toothbrush with polisher heads?

Ok so first off, no making fun of this kindergarten rendering I pulled together. This is meant more to help identify the parts and functions before I start tuning scales/fitting/all that nonsense in. For now, I'm just trying to narrow down the form and function of the different parts. So here is my crude assemblage:

...and an initial listing of parts and pieces to go with it:

There are a few pieces that I can't nail down, if anybody has any input or sees errors already? I have not added the dispenser tubes/etc to the razor or toothbrush, and I know fine details and such are missing, but here are the first things I'm noticing:

5: What the heck is this? It looks like one of those polishing toothbrush heads, but I have no idea for sure.
6: Red button. Don't know what it does. I thought maybe a release for the mirror or the #5 part, but seems like that is too nice and would be overkill.
9: I can see a slot for something, and one promo shirt mentioned tweezers and a comb, but I've no idea.
11: The upper control button looks to control the shaving cream dispenser on the razor. Bottom could be toothpaste on toothbrush then?
12: I think this is a filler cap, it appears to have a screwdriver slot in the top as well. I am guessing shampoo.
13: The bottom cap I'd guess is a filler as well, but I don't see the knurled edge or slot like #12, so I've no idea really.

Well, that's where I'm at so far. Any ideas?

Welp, for the mystery piece on the dental mirror side I went with a travel comb. Also went and picked up the various attachments to confirm measurements, although it's obvious some parts were modified by the prop department in terms of length and mounting. Anyways, adjusted the scaling yet again to the parts, went through all of the screen caps and references again, and reworked the exterior to get closer. Next up, going to 3d print a body to see how it looks and feels in the 'real' world before getting too attached to the shape sand proportions just yet. Thanks for look'n!

Last edited:
6: Red button. Don't know what it does. I thought maybe a release for the mirror or the #5 part, but seems like that is too nice and would be overkill.

You've seen "The Fifth Element", right? If so, then you know what the red button is for. Which makes the Bathroom Buddy non TSA compliant.

David.

Actually the red button was put there for a spritz of air freshner due to Hoyts persistent flatulance ;)

Haha :lol I actually almost picked up one of the travel-size aerosol air freshener/febreezers while getting supplies, and that button is 'free' for use as of now. I'm already fighting for room internally, though, as I want the toothpaste and shaving foam buttons/functions to actually work. Probably overkill, but I don't care, it'll be cooler that way. I'm still mullling over the toothpaste option (do I go with the new aerosol foam toothpaste or do I go with a screen-accurate 'squirty' setup), but I already test-printed an actuator arm and bracket to activate this little guy:

I'd be OK if neither of those things worked, but I also find an awesome cryocan twice as awesome when it can still dispense foam :)

Thanks guys!

Welp, I printed up a test body and, low and behold, it was not perfect :lol The overall proportions look pretty decent, but it's TOO BIG. I've got pretty big hands (little over 8 inches/200mm from the base of my palm to the tip of my middle finger), and you can see that it still looks oversized with my mitts on it:

Not a total loss, I was able to start fine-tuning the cutout dimensions for the accessories so that things will eventually fit and operate as they should. A few pieces (completely not screen accurate) just fitted in for fun-zees...

Sooo, back to the scaling. Gotta love the weekend, I actually have time to dig into stuff for more than a half hour, so I worked back over my references and decided to run another test body at 95%. I also applied the cutout changes to the design, so with any luck I'll have 4 or 5 pieces starting to fit pretty well.

Also, something that had been chewing on me was the suggestion on a T-shirt that the Buddy had tweezers... While going back over my notes, I found that I had seen (and then i guess immediately forgot after noting it :lol) a small feature on the top of the case. Take a look:

.... I'm thinking maybe the end of the tweezers, sticking out of their slot? Just like the tweezers (and toothpicks) on a swiss army knife, it could slip in and be held under its own tension against the slot walls. Anyways, I've no idea if that's correct, but it'd be a relatively easy addition. Thoughts?

Back to it. Thanks for looking!

So impressive! My printer is ready if you decide to sell the files and PayPal is ready if you decide to sell kits or finished props!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back