Discussion relying on Spoilers of the episode of Doctor Who that restored my hope.

Timey Wimey

Everything I say should be spoiler heavy. If it isn't, I've failed.

As I am writing this I only have just finished watching for the first time: "Doctor Who: Season 9: Heaven Sent".
I jokingly said in another thread I'd do this but I've convinced myself it should be done. Like my other threads I assume it's going to have a spurt of activity then die after a week but hopefully for different reasons than the other threads. The reason this should become less popular should rather be because answers are definitive with the passage of time.

I liked Nu Who for Quite some time. I started watching from the beginning but around the time Tennant was set to depart. I can excuse this behaviour due to my youth. David Tennant was my favourite, then Matt Smith after some inner debate and him being the Doctor for quite some time. Then I watched most of the Doctor's by exploring the Classics and decided Troughton is my Favourite simply because he is the polar opposite of what Nu Who Doctor's are like.
At one point I started watching those "Internet Video "Critics"", gained a massive sense of negativity and realised Doctor Who has always been a mixed bag. Ever since Season 7 however I decided the show was almost all Bad with the exception of one or two episodes per Season.
I've really thought that Season 9 was a long due step in the right direction conveyed poorly but Doctor Who has finally made an episode worth talking about if you're are a harsh, critical fan (especially if you spend more of your time talking about how bad it is than the show itself).

I will start off by saying I never liked Clara (well performed but simply used to distract from the real show, be the real show or to squeeze exposition from the Doctor) I'm sure other companions are like this but she feels like an exaggerated form of this. There were episodes where she wasn't those attributes in which case I either decided she was good or decided she was imitating Matt Smith's portrayal of the Doctor.
The only reason I ever liked the Sonic Screwdriver was because it was an excuse to buy merchandise. After I stopped caring for toy collecting (I haven't for non-who things (I don't really collect anything however (I want to?))) I realised, though advancing the story is a great thing, it made the show even more ruleless and took away satisfying resolutions. I really want no Sonic and I like the Sunglasses because at least it's a gateway to no Sonic Screwdriver.

I'm the kind of person who not only was glad of Clara's Death but laughed at it due to poor and overused cinematography. In Season 9, though she is a major improvement over previous Season's with Clara, she seems to dampen Peter Capaldi's capabilities.

I've used too many words now so I'm just going to go straight to the point in as simple a form as possible.
The episode mostly consisted of standard whoness but the end made it entirely worthwhile. The Doctor finally has a chance to show his rage but he does something better. He because calmly insane and desperate. It turns out the Doctor has been reliving the events of the episode for an inconceivable amount of time and done so by cloning himself by speeding up his own death with a sort of Suicide. This seems so unlike Doctor Who that I'm wondering if I either misread the episode or am tired and delusional.

The most similar things I can conjure to compare to this is Moffat's rebooting of the Universe, and my confusion for how the watcher in Logopolis works.

This is a big deal for me. I could of course discuss Gallifrey because I've always wanted it back like it was in the Classic Series because the whole last of my kind schtick is boring with the exceptions of when it is rarely utilised in an effective and or entertaining way (once per Doctor?). I don't care about Gallifrey being back now because I have this new thing to obsess over.

The show is willing to be Dark, tell slow paced character driven plot with very few characters done well, and to decide what was once sacred isn't and things that where tossed aside by Doctor Who before such as consistency and satisfaction is back in place. The show has finally decided if it's going to be more than time travel and be Sci-Fi in general, it'll use the thought provoking tropes that ask more than paradoxes.

Regardless of regeneration, regeneration cycles, teleportation and replacement of atoms,The Doctor though Identical is no longer consisted of the same stuff that the original Doctor was made of. He is a clone of a clone...
How does this effect how the people view the show? can the show decently bring up this thought provoking idea? Will bold changes in themes like this be consistent or will they revert to how the show was before with arcs and companions? What else should I have asked to make all these words come to a satisfying post conclusion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Discussion relying on Spoilers of the episode of Doctor Who that restored my hope

I'm really interested in seeing in depth, what made this episode fantastic to people like me and just another episode to others. I really think, though there have been episodes more captivating throughout, as an episode that manages to be consistent with a series themes, introduces the overall arc and is entertainingly and respectfully changing the grounds of the show it is the best episode since at least 2011. From the beginning of Capaldi's reign I've said he needs a Season of isolation from companions and if the episodes managed to get his character right this well that Season, then I would be happier with Doctor Who than I have been in quite some time. The big deal about the episode is how the runners have finally decided to stop making the Doctor (while still winning and likeable) the omniscient, sacred being he has been treated as in the new series, to such an extent his identity is debatable. It's the embrace of sacrificing the new shows old ways for pitch-able, controversial and good ideas and stories in the show (which is much more important, especially for Doctor Who at this rate). I could really tell Capaldi thrives in the environment of this episode when there is nothing holding him back. The ground hog day, skulls, wall and teleport concepts were executed in such a perfect and beautiful way it really made the episode. Any nitpicking on such things in my eye is to defeat the point of the episode. I know why I care for this episode so much to the point I'd make a thread dedicated to this but I really feel I need to vent and/or rave with strangers about one particular episode of Doctor Who for as long as possible. To make this post worthwhile and have it not seem like an excuse to bring it to the top of the sub-forum or so it doesn't look like the opinions thread I'd like to ask what would make this discussion noteworthy. Would this better fit a philosophical debate in "Off-Topic"? Teleportation in general I think would be interesting enough to warrant a thread.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back