my bandai millenium falcon done!

vaderbreath

Sr Member
Since everyone else is sharing theirs, I thought I would show mine.
URL=http://s955.photobucket.com/user/Vaderbreath/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_5.jpeg.html]
image_5.jpeg
[/URL]
URL=http://s955.photobucket.com/user/Vaderbreath/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_6.jpeg.html]
image_6.jpeg
[/URL]

What a great kit. I wish more companies put this much effort into offering their kits. Any questions, feel free to ask.

I clear coated, then used an acrylic wash followed up by pastels. I hate decals, so I used the stickers and they worked great. This kit was extremely fun and satisfying.

I clear coated, then used an acrylic wash followed up by pastels. I hate decals, so I used the stickers and they worked great. This kit was extremely fun and satisfying.

Wait.....was this painted, or did you just weather the bare plastic after clear coating? If so that is really impressive! Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Chris

No paint, at that, wow -- that only makes your model even more fantastic!!! I would never imagine it would come out this beautifully using such a technique. I was actually about to ask what color gray you used but was worried you'll be tired of answering such a question : )

Last edited:
That is a beauty!!! Hope mine turns out this good :)

Very nice build! Never would have guessed those are stickers.

Any underside shots?

Actually Bandai's stickers are very thin and apply almost like decals. Once laid down and smoothed out; they become indistinguishable from the decals.

That is a great looking model. Looking as good as it does its no suprise you didn't paint it. Being unpainted will I guess answer my question. I wondered why you didn't paint the window-panes on the gun-well window?

Since I've received a few messages asking about the weathering, I thought I would post my reply to give an idea of what I did. (Actually, I've touched up a few things, but it's done now!):

-Built entire model, and used the stickers (not decals) provided
-Clear coat the model with a matte finish (sealed stickers and gave the surface a little grip)
-Used a gray acrylic wash over each section, quickly wiping it off with a paper towel and many, many q-tips. This gives a grimy look without it looking too over the top dirty.
-After that was dry, I used chalk pastels to create the heavier grime and rusty spots. I used the chalk on sandpaper, then dip a small, dry brush in the powder and begin building layers of grime.
-For the streaking I would sometimes dampen my brush a little to pick up a more concentrated amount of chalk. I could get a darker, crisper line with a damp brush.
-Then when I was satisfied, I sprayed the whole model again with clear coat to seal everything.

That's it. Pretty simple. Just take your time. The one thing I see with a lot of paint jobs, is that they are over the top grungy. Especially in this small scale, I think a lighter touch is better-but that's just me.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Since I've received a few messages asking about the weathering, I thought I would post my reply to give an idea of what I did. (Actually, I've touched up a few things, but it's done now!):

Thanks for the tutorial, I'll have a go with your technique on a Revell Falcon before touching the Bandai :thumbsup

I still find this build utterly fascinating. I never would have thought an unpainted model would look so good with just a good weathering job done to it. I'm really tempted to do it with mine just to save time ;)

Chris

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back