Bandai 1-144 Millennium Falcon ANH version

Talking about "When sh.t hits the vent....." ;) you'll find a way to fix this John :thumbsup

I've reordered the vents from Green Strawberry,....just need a different plan of attack,....thanks Scoob

Excellent work on the paint!

What paint/color did you paint the hull?

Thanks Crowe,...I used Vallejo White & Deck Tan mixed 50/50

I'm curious on your methods for doing the physical damage. Are you using a dremel or soldering iron, perhaps a combo of the two or something else I'm not thinking of?

Great work by the way. Looking forward to the progress.

Thanks Newmagrathea,...I used a scalpel blade to carve the plastic away,....don't like using a dremel,....might go too crazy

I'd leave them damaged. If you can smooth out the paint, ie strip and repaint, I'm sure they'd be fine.
They are certainly not perfect and undamaged on the 5 footer. When I commit to starting mine, they'll be
getting a few dings.

They're off now.....& I've got everything all cleaned up ready for new grilles coming in the post,.....attempt 3

J

I wasn't happy with the greeblies I had used on the underside bays,....so I cast some details from the Bandai Y-Wing:

IMG_4390_zpswr0am6ef.jpg

IMG_4391_zpsf3g8etpe.jpg

IMG_4392_zpsrdmwvyyg.jpg

Also some shots of the TFA pipework removed to reveal the nice 5 footer details underneath.....or close to it:

IMG_4394_zpsb1nxqhtj.jpg

IMG_4393_zpsmzyfmwpo.jpg

J

That looks pretty cool! Are you slicing out parts of the Bandai moulding that don't look sufficiently 5 Footer, and scratching in replacement styrene bits?

That looks pretty cool! Are you slicing out parts of the Bandai moulding that don't look sufficiently 5 Footer, and scratching in replacement styrene bits?

Yep, thanks nkg,....& using some cast parts from the Bandai Y-Wing.....same ingredients as the 5 footer

J

Interesting approach. I thought the Bandai Y-Wing was 1:72, though. It looks like they're about to do a 144 shortly.

I'm sort of pondering right now what to do about mine. I'm probably going to tidy up the right sidewall to make it look more ESB, which is the Falcon version I'm going for. But the mirrored left sidewall is such a mess. Still - I'm still working on the cockpit anyway, so that seems a long way out...

Last edited:
Interesting approach. I thought the Bandai Y-Wing was 1:72, though. It looks like they're about to do a 144 shortly, though.

Yup - they now have a 1:72 and a 1:144. I really like how they're fleshing out both scales. It makes me hopeful that they may in fact do a 1:72 Falcon :)

I've been doing a bit of Photoshopping,...colour correcting.....boosting the mids & shadows,...which brings out some of the streaking & weathering

The Fathead image:

MillenniumFalcon-Fathead%202.jpg

Love this one:

5%20Foot%20Beauty%20Shot.jpg

The MPC Box image:

1979mpc%20falcon%20boxlid.jpg

The Crayola images provided by Crackerjazz,....I was able to photoshop out the white dots that were all over them:

%20Falcon%20Original%20Top%20View%20-%20Black%20ps.jpg

lcon%20Bottom%20View%20Crackerjazz%20Crayola%20Psd.jpg

The new image (or rather,.....old...because you can see loads of details that are there that aren't on the image on the right)....from the Japanese Chronicles book:

5ft%20ANH%20Top%20Viewbefore%20amp%20after.jpg

....now onto requests.....does anyone have a better image of this shot,....I colour corrected it as best I could & tried to enhance the details,...but there's a lot that are blown out

Front%20on%20Promo%20shot%203.jpg

...I haven't done anything with this one ,.....does anyone have a better pic of this?

5%201.jpg

John

Last edited:
Cool pics, Jaitea.

So, what's the general consensus on the grey and red patches?
On the one hand I always figured they were replacements for damaged panels, taken off of other freighters.
Like maybe there's an all red freighter sitting in a junkyard somewhere with a bunch of panels missing.
On the other hand, there's that SD guy who says "It's markings match those of a freighter that blasted it's way out of Mos Eisley".
By "markings" does he mean the random red patches? And if so, ...how? They're random.

I just found this build after looking at your amazing 1/350 scale Falcon and I have to say your work is stunning and inspiring. It's also made me realize how much more I always liked the original version of the ship. Now I'm looking at my pile of DeAgo parts and wondering if I should build it or sell it. And sell the FM kits: 1/144th and 1/72nd, neither of them started. Hmmm... this is both good and bad. Thanks for sharing so many photos and techniques, truly amazing work!

I just found this build after looking at your amazing 1/350 scale Falcon and I have to say your work is stunning and inspiring. It's also made me realize how much more I always liked the original version of the ship. Now I'm looking at my pile of DeAgo parts and wondering if I should build it or sell it. And sell the FM kits: 1/144th and 1/72nd, neither of them started. Hmmm... this is both good and bad. Thanks for sharing so many photos and techniques, truly amazing work!

Thanks very, very much for the kind words VFX,.....I'm glad my obsession is others obsession also.....but don't ditch the 32" stuff.....get them done & post your progress here.....I'm still in the middle of my Hasbro Hero modification which is 32" -ish style,....I do prefer the 3 gear Falcon,....but I still have a little love for the other Falcon

John

Cool pics, Jaitea.

So, what's the general consensus on the grey and red patches?
On the one hand I always figured they were replacements for damaged panels, taken off of other freighters.
Like maybe there's an all red freighter sitting in a junkyard somewhere with a bunch of panels missing.
On the other hand, there's that SD guy who says "It's markings match those of a freighter that blasted it's way out of Mos Eisley".
By "markings" does he mean the random red patches? And if so, ...how? They're random.

I always had the impression, that all are replacements done over time, thats why all those differentcolors. To me there are three reasons why there are still those big scortchmarks are there
1) Han never found fitting panels due lack at junkyards ( in real life, some car parts are harder to find then others )
2) That big scar at the bottom or the bigger hits are less critical then they look like and no important systems are damaged
3) Han is way lazy in keeping his baby in topform and he just doesnt care about

I like to think the red patches are primer on replacement panels. Chewie (because, c'mon - Han was always telling Chewie to check on the Falcon) rarely had time to get the base coat down on top of the primer while the Falcon was docked somewhere before Han got them in trouble again and they had to blast off in a hurry.

/headcanon

Is that bottom side image accurate to ANH? I know in Empire forward, the red panels are differently colored.

The shot you mention is definitely ANH, because it has the larger underside maintenance pits, and only three landing gear boxes. The ESB Falcon had narrower pits and two extra boxes added.

Did the panel colours change in ESB on the five foot model? Obviously, the 32" model is quite different in many places.

Is that bottom side image accurate to ANH? I know in Empire forward, the red panels are differently colored.

Yes thats the original layout,....

Heres another lovely shot from the Japanese Chronicles book:

Underside%202.jpg

The big red panel beside the starboard maintenance pit was mostly covered by the new landing gears......

01020432_JPG.jpg

& because wee downlighters/running lights were added for the Falcon sitting inside the Space Slug/Asteroid cave,....plates to house these lights were added evenly around the Falcon's underside....this one was painted red:

6305185960_70cbd37369_o.jpg

....whereas this one,....(you can see the plate & light at the bottom of the image)....was painted to blend in with the original paint scheme

sw_mos_mf_0123.jpg

Hope that made sense

John

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back