Help with Astro Megaship

SilverTiger2015

Hey guys, I haven't been on here for awhile, but I know some of you people are some of the most talented minds out there...so I bring this question to you

p0000096.jpg Found on the Grnrngr.com site is one of my favorite spaceships! and I wanted to know, if one where to start to build this (preferably) as cheaply as possible, how would one go about doing it, what would be the under lying structure and what should it be made of? what could it be made of?

You mean from scratch? Seeing how it's a chunky ship and you'd probably want to make it a decent size if you're doing it at all... I'd start with a core of cardboard laminated together like a cake, just to keep the bulk of it light, sturdy, and cheap like you want. Then build a skeleton over that with plastic and epoxy. Then you'll be able to bond plastic sheets to that to make the shape of the hull.

That's merely how I'd do it though. You'll probably get many different answers. A wood core would be a another good choice. Size would be a factor for sure. If you want to hold it in your hand then it's going to be a lot different than if you want to make a coffee table out of it.

-Rog

Thank you so much for replying Rogviler :) Are you taking about cardboard sheets? and yeah I want it to be as big as it is in the picture, I would want it to be made as well as models were right before making "digital" spaceships where as easy as they are now, which would be about 96-97...but honestly probably about 87 lol

It's hard to tell what size it is from that picture. It could be several feet long or an inch long but close to the camera...

I was thinking cardboard from shipping boxes, alternating the orientation for strength and using wood glue.

If you wanted to make it the "movie way", a lot of filming models were built crazy beefy, with wood or even steel structures inside. Just depends on what you have laying around. If you have a ton of PVC pipe, use that. Scrap metal and a welder? Live near a pallet factory? There's a guy somewhere in South America that builds these amazingly detailed and realistic models out of paper and cereal box type stuff and you'd never know just looking at them, so the limit is only in your ambition and talent.

-Rog

thanks again, I'm so new at something like this just want to know where to get in to it, and I'm not sure the size either but there is a leg in the photo for scale lol

Yeah, I guess it does overlap. That thing could be six feet long. Have you got a vaulted ceiling to hang it from? :)

-Rog

I think it's to ambitious to want it to be an RC lol

When I look at things like this ship I just get so amazed, I couldn't imagine a paper Mache job that big, or cutting it out in cardboard...I wish I knew where to start with like house hold objects that would fit the size and all that lol maybe I'll fly you out here to help me Rogviler :D

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back