General modeling habits

memyselfi

Just curious on modeling habits.

If you become frustrated with one of your projects ("main" one). Do you walk away for a while from the hobby completely, or switch to a side project to give yourself a brake, relax and hope too have an epiphany?

As of late, I find my main project, to be leaning more toward a source of frustration, as apposed to a creative outlet to relax. Also, how many "side projects" do you have at the same time?

Thanks in advance......................

When a particular project is more frustrating than fun, it's usually a good idea to take a break from it for a while. On the other hand, I have several problematic kits in my stash that have remained unfinished for years, so I might not be the best person to take advice from. :D

I have more than ten projects in various states of completion, some only just begun, some so close to being finished but left by the wayside while my interest is diverted by another project in some cases for years . I have a couple of unfinished projects that are probably close to 20 years old.
I like to have at least 2 main projects on the go so I can swap over when I get bogged down or awaiting parts to turn up for one or the other.
I have often found that what seemed like an insurmountable problem on a project can often appear months or years later to require a really simple solution and you wonder why it seemed so hard originally.
Starting projects is easy... it's finishing them that's the hard part for me at least.
This forum helps me in finishing them as I find contributing builds and the feedback a good motivator.

If things are not going my way I normally get peed off and get back in there until it works...the hard way, and yea its more like stress then really a relaxing hobby.
I guess I never really left a project sitting for a longer period of time, patience was never my strong side with models, I rather stretch the hours and go that extra mile then giving up on a problem.

And the worst thing I tend to ponder at Modeling problems at work, thats how obsessive it can get...talking about a major modeling addiction here :p

I always have this clear image in my head how it should "look" when finished and to get there sometimes will cost you some major agony...but its a sort a fun agony :)

Take a break -- but not for too long that you lose momentum and interest. Remember, out of sight, out of mind. In my case I don;t feel much relaxation in any ofl the aspects of modeling. The only thing I find relaxing is browsing at the hobby shop, bringing one home and looking at the box art and parts and imagining what I could do with it, heheh. But paying for it -- no; Cutting parts from sprues -- no; cleaning flash -- no; Sanding - no; gluing right and neatly --no; painting -- no; decaling --no; weathering --no. In fact, for me they're all a cause of stress. (Hmmm...I might be in the wrong hobby :) But I find great reward in seeing my efforts pay off. People in the forum are great sources of encouragement and help --- a build thread definitely helps you keep focused.

It really depends on how much of a PITA the problem has become. Sometimes I'll keep at it until I have a breakthrough, while other times I'll pick up a side project just to shift gears.

Most side projects are out-of-box models in various stages of the build process since they're easy and really help me calm down... currently around 11 aircraft and 3 wooden sailing ships. However, one side project that became a main project that even beat out the Ep 7 Stormtrooper helmet I was making was finishing up my CNC Router. Now that the CNC is done and I can get started on the SHIELD Targeting Blades, I can continue with the stormie and finish up the rotocaster. Oh yea, there's also the vacuum former and silk screen press and Iron Man mk 39 suit...

It's a real good thing I'm not married, because with everything I'm doing, I work constantly and haven't gone out for a long time. No doubt I'd be divorced already...

The older I get, the more elaborate my projects get, and the fewer different projects I am willing to have going at once. If each project is big & elaborate then you already have your variety right there.

I'm the kind of guy that starts something and keep on going until it's finished...if not, it'll stay unfinished forever and ever:)

I have a habit of buying kits, putting them in a pile, and never getting around to them
Tell me about it. I have, conservatively, at least a couple of hundred kits around here waiting for me to get around to them. I've had some of 'em so long that I see them and can't remember why I bought them in the first place. :lol

I'm the same. I can not build a kit OOB anymore, but fear the work involved to do all the modifications neccessary to build it accurately. Then however, if I go through to decide which ones to sell to make room for new kits, I can't decide which ones I don't want anymore... so the space for me to live in is shrinking with each week :facepalm

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back