Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    England
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 1:17 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #151

Just had a thought about the top fixing, it may be possible to glue a nut to the back of the side frame then when you tighten the screw it should all pinch up tight and with the addition some thread lock fluid or super glue it would hopefully all hold together.Also if needed you could easily counter sink the front of the mounting lug to lose any screw head.
    Last edited by Ageing Badly; 1 Week Ago at 1:36 PM.
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 1:27 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #152

That's a good idea, right, you only need something to hold that nut in place while you screw it in. Still would need longer screws though right? Wouldn't be long enough to go through the armature and grab the nut.
  3. Member Since
    Jul 2014
    From
    Australia/ Scotland
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 2:23 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #153

Ktaylor said: View Post
    Hey Mike, Yeah I was going to do that and It would certainly help, but it's not enough IMO, plus the supplied parts for the sidewalls is pretty thick. So what I'm going to do is just scratch build/bash all the sidewall details, I'll use sheet styrene to back it and then plant on all the kit parts, that is about a far back as I can figure out to make it without doing major surgery to the armature which I don't want to do.

If you look at this piece without any sidewalls, just butted up against the armature its about .25" too shallow. once you get their side walls on forget about it.

See what you all think, make sure I'm looking at the correct P43 1/20 part, but I'm 99% sure that is correct unless there is a smaller kit out there, which seems unlikely since they use this kit EVERYWHERE on the model.

Attachment 697250

Here is where you end up BTW even if you trim those pegs off the back of the sidewalls and mount them flush ( it also shows how these parts aren't laid out properly on the supplied pieces : \ )

Attachment 697252
    That's a massive difference!!!!! How have they managed to stuff this up?! If the overall diameter of the top and bottom 'discs' are the correct size as the actual filming prop then they've most likely oversized the metal frame in the design process. But if that's the case, then that means the sidewall is incomplete OR has been 'stretched' to fill in the gap where original detail is meant to be. Could be that a smaller scale kit was used but like you said that's very unlikely.
    From
    England
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 2:49 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #154

Shouldn't be too difficult to source something suitable. I've got a brilliant old fashioned hardware shop near where I live,I'll let you know what I find.
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 5:53 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #155

Check it out! I was at Home depot and found some screws that fit. Works great! and ends up being almost perfect depth now, I'm going to back the sidewalls with thin sheet styrene and kit bash the original parts on anyways so this will work great! Check it out and see what you all think.

I'll probably just take those screws out of the bottom that hold the plastic hull plating on since they stick up so much, they aren't holding that much on anyways there are a ton of screws in those plates anyways

I handn't considered attaching lugs the back of the armature to make this work, thanks for the great idea Aging Badly ( okay man I need to know your real name I can't keep typing that haha)!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	697495Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	697494

the screws I'm using are M2- .4x8mm, they thread into the deago armature perfect, now I just need a tiny little wrench hahah

I'm really excited I had pretty much give up on getting this reverse mount idea to work...but yeah using an epoxy or something like that should work great to attach the lugs. What were you thinking of using?
    From
    PA - USA
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 6:05 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #156

Ageing Badly said: View Post
    One way around this problem would be to attach the side frames to the back of their mounting lugs,this makes it necessary to cut notches into the plastic side wall sections to accommodate both the mounting lugs and the screws fixing the hull plates to the metal skeleton,the upper hull would then need to be fixed in place by glueing in screws or pegs.The upshot of all this would be that we would then have 15mm to play with where as currently we only have 11mm,(this is before we attach the side walls).
    That is exactly it!
    A little putty work to level out the shelf and viola. Parts will hopefully fit or be a lot better than it is now.

Thanks Ageing Badly. You worded it the way we were thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

Ktaylor said: View Post
    Check it out! I was at Home depot and found some screws that fit. Works great! and ends up being almost perfect depth now, I'm going to back the sidewalls with thin sheet styrene and kit bash the original parts on anyways so this will work great! Check it out and see what you all think.

I'll probably just take those screws out of the bottom that hold the plastic hull plating on since they stick up so much, they aren't holding that much on anyways there are a ton of screws in those plates anyways

I handn't considered attaching lugs the back of the armature to make this work, thanks for the great idea Aging Badly ( okay man I need to know your real name I can't keep typing that haha)!

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	697495Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	697494

the screws I'm using are M2- .4x8mm, they thread into the deago armature perfect, now I just need a tiny little wrench hahah

I'm really excited I had pretty much give up on getting this reverse mount idea to work...but yeah using an epoxy or something like that should work great to attach the lugs. What were you thinking of using?
    You guys are in my head. Stop it. lol
    From
    England
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 8:02 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #157

Thanks Ktaylor, Excellent find I was wondering about the thread size,I'll grab enough to attach both the top as well as the bottom hull sections. I'm really looking forward to seeing your kit bashed side walls, I hope you'll keep us updated as you work on them.Unfortunately my wife would park the falcon somewhere dark and uncomfortable if I tried spend as much as you'll need to so I'll have to use the build parts.
    I'm perfectly happy being referred to as Ageing Badly but if you'd prefer my actual name is Frank.
    From
    England
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 8:31 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #158

Hey dtssyst, you've probably thought of this already but just in case how about cutting curved sections of card to create the shelves top and bottom that the missing parts sit on to further create the look of the actual filming model.
    I intend to do this myself.
    From
    PA - USA
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 8:36 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #159

Ageing Badly,
    Actually we did not.
    A nice alternative and thanks for the idea.
    Honestly not sure what we will do. One step at a time I guess.
    1 Week Ago  Jan 12, 2017, 2:29 AM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #160

Nice work Ktaylor and Ageing with trying to come up with a solution for this...I too am going the kit-bashed route and have been banging my head trying to come up with a workable solution for this...I can see that moving the frame behind has given the proper depth but there are still some semi-major issues I see with this solution...

First one has been mentioned by Ktaylor, that the screws along the bottom and top edge for securing the hull plating would now be on the outside, and in the way...

Also, what about the mounting areas used to screw in the sidewalls that you are still using to secure the sides, they are also sticking out in the way now and would interfere with placement of the new re-built walls (not liking that)...

One other question I have about this way is if you would now have the height necessary for even making the walls correct? Before, when the side frames were mounted as designed the height of the walls included the thickness of the top and bottom framing, with this new way of mounting them you are adding a step up on both the top and bottom and shortening the sidewall height. I'm not sure if that affects anything but you may still need that height for it to look right?? The only way I would see around that would be to sand off the top and bottom edges of the frames to be flush with the new depth, not sure that would be a good thing to do either...(this may not be an issue if the wall height is not needed)

Name:	problems.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	697652

All and all this is one tricky problem as these side frames are pretty much what holds the two halves together so any changes are going to compromise the strength...I really hope we can come up with a workable way around this.
  11. Member Since
    Aug 2016
    1 Week Ago  Jan 12, 2017, 10:41 AM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #161

Hello, about the Mörser Karl kit from Hasegawa,
    is this the right one?

https://flic.kr/p/RamjuV

Thanks and greetings,
    Kuat.
    From
    England
    1 Week Ago  Jan 12, 2017, 10:59 AM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #162

Hello emrumi, Ive decided to do as Ktaylor has and use M2 sized threaded screws and nuts,(going to need to bend that frame back the other way around).I've ordered some countersink posi headed ones,once they arrive I'll countersink all the fronts of the armature lugs so nothing will protrude any further forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Kuat,
    yes that is the right kit.
    From
    England
    1 Week Ago  Jan 12, 2017, 12:18 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #163

With respect to your worries about any alteration to the wall height it may be worth noting the both the frame and the plastic wall pieces measure 26mm. and were always mounted within the top and bottom sections of the hull framework.Also the side frames are mounted so that there is a gap between them and upper and lower frames,therefore there should be little or no discernible change to the overall height.If we then use plastic sheet to manufacture the shelf that the parts that we refer to as the missing parts sit on we can hide the metal framework.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	697704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender 2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	697703Hope this makes sense.....
    Last edited by Ageing Badly; 1 Week Ago at 4:30 PM.
  14. Member Since
    Aug 2016
    1 Week Ago  Jan 12, 2017, 12:38 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #164

Thank you Ageing!

Next Questions:

Tamiya Jagdpanzer:
    https://flic.kr/p/QYWp3X

Airfix Scorpion Tank:
    https://flic.kr/p/QYWrDD

And the Agano Kit it's from Tamiya or Fujimi Modell ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Kuat; 5 Days Ago at 7:19 AM. Reason: Update
    1 Week Ago  Jan 12, 2017, 5:03 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #165

Kuat said: View Post
    Thank you Ageing!

Next Questions:

Tamiya Jagdpanzer:
    https://flic.kr/p/QYWp3X

Airfix Scorpion Tank:
    https://flic.kr/p/QYWrDD

And the Agano Kit it's from Tamiya or Fuhimi Modell ?

Thanks.
    Yes Kuat, both those kits are correct and the Agano is the Tamiya kit.
    From
    PA - USA
    1 Week Ago  Jan 12, 2017, 6:12 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #166

The part needed from the scorpion tank is the very front part of the tank.
  17. Member Since
    Aug 2016
    1 Week Ago  Jan 13, 2017, 12:44 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #167

Thank you guys!
    It's not easy to find all the Kits...
    Agano is rare here and some others.

The next one is the M3A2:
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/mashku/05n8Y2
    1 Week Ago  Jan 13, 2017, 1:23 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #168

Kuat said: View Post
    Thank you guys!
    It's not easy to find all the Kits...
    Agano is rare here and some others.

The next one is the M3A2:
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/mashku/05n8Y2
    That's the one...
    From
    England
    1 Week Ago  Jan 13, 2017, 1:58 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #169

Be careful Kuat there are two versions of the Agano kit one of them doesn't contain the sprue with the parts you need.The kit you want has the item number31314**2200.
    1 Week Ago  Jan 13, 2017, 2:53 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #170

Thanks for the heads up Ageing! I own 3 shiNano kits because I this same reason
    :/ spoiler alert only one is correct haha
  21. Member Since
    Aug 2016
    4 Days Ago  Jan 16, 2017, 11:02 AM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #171

Gentlemen has some of you a picture of the demag?
    Thanks and Greetings,
    Thomas.
    From
    England
    4 Days Ago  Jan 16, 2017, 12:56 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #172

Name:	IMG_0706.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	698671This is the kit you're looking for.Kit number 099-E5018.
    From
    England
    4 Days Ago  Jan 16, 2017, 1:11 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #173

Name:	IMG_0230.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	305.1 KB 
ID:	698672Parts 21 & 22 from the Demag and the 8rad part are nice and clear in this shot.
    Thanks to Frank Becker for the pic.More of his pics can be seen on the"Re: 32" Millenium Falcon V.2" thread on this forum.
    Last edited by Ageing Badly; 4 Days Ago at 1:18 PM.
    From
    PA - USA
    4 Days Ago  Jan 16, 2017, 4:06 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #174

Hate to say it but we ordered it. Should be here tomorrow.
    Ageing Badly said: View Post

Name:	IMG_0706.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	698671This is the kit you're looking for.Kit number 099-E5018.
  25. Member Since
    Aug 2016
    4 Days Ago  Jan 16, 2017, 4:46 PM - Re: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon by dtssyst #175

Thank you all Again!
    Today i get the Mörser Karl and the Panzer IV Lang.
    I can't find the item on the spure from Karl it's only one, right?

And the Lang Tank is the tiny pipe?
    Thanks.