Captain Phasma help

Jimmer

I picked up Hasbro's Black Series 6 in Captain Phasma, and while it's a good figure the paint used on the armor is a bit underwhelming. It's a very flat silver rather than the chromed out metallic silver seen in the trailers.

I've recently been using Tamiya Weathering Master Set C (3 colors: orange rust, gun metal, and silver) and have been considering going over Phasma's armor with the silver and then applying a sealant. The silver in this set has a very metallic sheen and would really improve the figure vastly, in my opinion.

I'm a rookie customizer, new to this product and I've never tried it on any action figure. Anyone reading this forsee see any problem with this idea or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen some tuts on YT to make the NECA 18" T-800 endoskeleton look more authentic. The entire figure was disassembled and spray-painted with a black base coat and then Alclad II Chrome. The result looked much better. Maybe this is a way to enhance Phasma's look. A little bit of weathering could increase the realism.

I'm looking forward to the first product pics of Bandai's Phasma because I hope that their kit will be fully chromed like C-3PO. Hasbro's figure looks good but I am not sold on it because the detail appears so soft (it looks like... well, a toy).

Never used it my self but you could look at "True Metal" from AK Interactive, ist a Wax that can be applied with a paintbrush and then polished using a cloth or tissue...could be worth a try.

SCROLL DOWN TO 3.2.9 WAXES

Actually...Sideshow announced their Phasma 1/6 Figure like two weeks ago...that Patina looks simply awesome or :).
star-wars-captain-phasma-sixth-scale-hot-toys-902582-18.jpgstar-wars-captain-phasma-sixth-scale-hot-toys-902582-14.jpg

Off course it comes with a higher prize tag compared to the Hasbro Black Series :p

Last edited:
...have been considering going over Phasma's armor with the silver and then applying a sealant...

Whatever you do, don't do this.
Top-coats cloud and dull metallic paints. It'll end up looking even worse.
I second the Alclad recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just impressed you could find a black series Phasma! They are nowhere to be found around here...without resorting to the scalpers.

Chris

I'm looking forward to the first product pics of Bandai's Phasma because I hope that their kit will be fully chromed like C-3PO. Hasbro's figure looks good but I am not sold on it because the detail appears so soft (it looks like... well said:
I have and absolutely love the R2/R5 and 3PO from Bandai. I had given up on them after the US ban, then discovered I can get them through the "big river". I'm about to order Bandai Falcon but obviously haven't been paying attention, didn't know they were doing Phasma. I truly appreciate the comments from everybody, but knowing Bandai's version is coming I fear I've wasted everybody's time about upgrading Hasbro's.

I'm just impressed you could find a black series Phasma! They are nowhere to be found around here...without resorting to the scalpers.

Chris

Hey Chris, I found this at Gamestop. Lately they've been getting into the Hasbro 6 inch game. Give them a try if you haven't checked (if you are looking).

Hasbro's figure's don't compare to Bandai, and certainly not to Hot Toys or the other premiums, but I have a soft spot for them. Probably nostalgia, I'm 45 and remember my first kenner figs when I was 7. I kept my Hasbro 6 inch R2 (boxed and out of sight since I display Bandai R2) and I'll probably keep Phasma when I upgrade to Bandai's version. I'm obviously not that bright, given the return I could have made evil-baying Hasbro R2.

Whatever you do, don't do this.
Top-coats cloud and dull metallic paints. It'll end up looking even worse.
I second the Alclad recommendation.

Thanks much for the warning, Axlotl. Like I said, I'm really new to using Tamiya weathering and I'm so impressed with the product I thought this would turn out great. Obviously didn't consider what effects the sealant could have. I almost jumped into this blindly, and asked for advice at last minute. I'm sure a lot of you get tired of my dumb questions, but members here are great and have saved me a lot of grief many times, it really is appreciated.

Especially when I get all this info only to discover I've not been keeping up with the game. Probably going with Bandai Phasma, which I didn't know was coming out. Should have checked that first.

So thanks and sorry everybody...:facepalm.

I've used "Bare Metal Foil" http://www.bare-metal.com on a number of Airplanes with curved surfaces (Catalina, P-51...) with great results. It's quite thin and bends to a certain degree. Since you have plenty of panel lines on the armor, it should be possible to do all of those independently, so you don't have to use big pieces of foil. BMF is availiable in different shades of metal and since it's real metal it can be polished and small creases can be polished away. No paint looks more like real metal, than real metal.

Tesors Metalizer panits might work, too. They can be polished to a certain degree.

I've used "Bare Metal Foil" http://www.bare-metal.com on a number of Airplanes with curved surfaces (Catalina, P-51...) with great results. It's quite thin and bends to a certain degree. Since you have plenty of panel lines on the armor, it should be possible to do all of those independently, so you don't have to use big pieces of foil. BMF is availiable in different shades of metal and since it's real metal it can be polished and small creases can be polished away. No paint looks more like real metal, than real metal.

Tesors Metalizer panits might work, too. They can be polished to a certain degree.

I've never heard of this, but going to check it out. I've not hit the link you provided yet (going to when i finish typing this, thanks) but the way I'm envisioning it from your description I can see lots of potential for ship customizations.

Thanks much for the warning, Axlotl. Like I said, I'm really new to using Tamiya weathering and I'm so impressed with the product I thought this would turn out great. Obviously didn't consider what effects the sealant could have. I almost jumped into this blindly, and asked for advice at last minute. I'm sure a lot of you get tired of my dumb questions, but members here are great and have saved me a lot of grief many times, it really is appreciated.

Especially when I get all this info only to discover I've not been keeping up with the game. Probably going with Bandai Phasma, which I didn't know was coming out. Should have checked that first.

So thanks and sorry everybody...:facepalm.

Yeah the Bandai Phasma is my last hope. I really wanted the S.H. Figuarts Phasma....I believe they are they same scale as the Bandai kits and the Black series figures, but they too are sold out on Pre-order. :angry

Chris

Ohh, I completely forgot about the Figuarts. Yes, that one is by far my favourite version, however, I doubt I can get my hands on it because they sell out so fast whenever they pop up..! :)

Thanks for the tip Jimmer, I'll give them a try. :)

Chris

If I see another do you want me to grab it and hold on to receipt in case you've found it already? Probably a non-issue anyway as hard as it is to find, but I'd be happy to.

I picked up collecting Star Wars again around 1999, got into modeling again this year (largely due to watching this site) and Bandai R2 was my first non-Hasbro Star Wars fig (technically a model but I display it with Hasbro 6 inch figs instead of Hasbro 6 inch R2)

Anyway, I'm not up on Figuarts and was curious why they are so hard to acquire. I absolutely loved Maul but I'm sure he's long gone. Anyone know why they don't make these in larger numbers. A Japanese issue where they aren't factoring in U.S. purchases or contractually can't make enough to cover U.S. market?

Thanks

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back