Possible 72nd Bandai MF questions

Dedalus5550

Sr Member
So this is hypothetical. I have the Bandai 144th scale Falcon and I thought about the idea of this in 72nd scale (and had a nerdgasm). It wouldn't shock too many people if sometime in the next year Bandai made this in the bigger scale. Now a logical thing to do is upscale this kit while adding to the parts count and detail. I could see them offering an optional round dish and optional gear boxes to kinda cover everything, more than I could see them re-working the details based on an actual filming model. So then, if they did that, how many people would be peeved that they are so close to their holy grail kit, but then Bandai mirrored the details and modeled it based on the CG ship? Personally, I wouldn't care a lick. I completely respect anyone who really cares about accuracy, but I'm more about whether I like the look of it. If the original filming model looked exactly like this (more details, I would assume with the size) I would like it just as much. I'm even okay with the dish, but I wouldn't go so far as to use the kit dish and place the ship in diorama from the OT. Still the question is, if Bandai does what you almost might expect, how many people would be peeved.

Oh, and a neat little kit. And up no problem getting it via the big river website shipped to the US. Free shipping with Prime--I build so slow what did I care about how long it took?

Mike Todd

I would actually be pretty bummed if they mirrored the paneling and sidewalls.

I would probably start looking into doing a big hasbro falcon instead.

I also have both of their x-wings and they are not simply different scales of the same tooling. I would imagine that the falcon would be the same.

Sooooo that leaves us with starting a wishlist.

I'll start. I want the underside lighting holes.

I also want a photoetch ring behind the cockpit as well as photoetch engine grating on the back

Yah, I think I'd be bummed, too.
But I'll still buy one, if they're affordable.
I really like the shape of the Bandai, and the engineering of the 144 kit is top-notch.
Ideally, I'd like them to keep the shell, but completely redesign all the details and doo-dads.
Like, let me glue a bunch of stuff on.
I hope they don't just scale up the 144, like some lazy model companies do with kits.

Well now that we have seen images of the Portside of the mandibles,....only in the past week or so,...I really think the files that Bandai were given were an early version with mirrored sides....

If a larger Falcon model is in the works I'd say it would now be using the complete asset files,....so I'm not worried,...I could be wrong......Bandai could have been wrong with the 144, but I doubt it,...they were using the files that they were given.....at that time

I'd love a 72nd model,...the level of detail they can get at 144......could you imagine it

J

I also have both of their x-wings and they are not simply different scales of the same tooling. I would imagine that the falcon would be the same.

Are you saying that they changed details on the kits or is it just that the moving features and electronics makes the 48th scale kit more than just a simple upscale. Is it more than just refining details and more details to make up for the scale difference, or did they actually revise details? Is one more like the studio models in corrected details?
Mike Todd

If you want some changes, it should be pretty easy to have a replacement part 3D printed, if they do something at that scale then it's not going to need many changes.

Are you saying that they changed details on the kits or is it just that the moving features and electronics makes the 48th scale kit more than just a simple upscale. Is it more than just refining details and more details to make up for the scale difference, or did they actually revise details? Is one more like the studio models in corrected details?
Mike Todd

I'm saying that it wasn't just a matter of changing the scale. Because of the electronics, the 1/48 assembles very differently from the 1/72. As well, the panel lines are about the same thickness on each ship. Which means that the 1/72 lines are probably oversized (to no ones' surprise)

If they do a larger falcon, I'm sure that the panel lines will look a bit better than on the 1/144

Bandai probably reads these threads and would have heard about our feedback. I just know they can do a 1/72 because they're at home with doing big kits. Regarding a 1/72 Falcon I used to think they could just do a direct scale-up but now that I've seen the details I believe there are some compromises they made so that some details will be more visible to the eye in 1/144 that would need re-adjustment at bigger scales.

Also I hope they consider looking at the real individual parts closer when they do the 1/72. I'm not sure if they look like these in the original digital TFA files or if they've had to re-model them. But I would like more Panzer-looking Panzer parts and more Tyrell Ford F-1-looking F-1 parts if grown to a bigger scale.

ojT0Aa.gif

As it is right now though, I'm really impressed with it because of the perfect hull curvature. We've never seen anything like it before in a model. And the required parts are there -- it's a real 5-footer in the palm of your hand. I also don't really examine the individual parts in smaller scales but the model as a whole (unless in nitpicking mode as above :). As for a mirror-imaged port and starboard, I was bothered at first but I've convinced myself that I won't be looking at both sides at the same time anyway. But at bigger scales I probably would be a little more concerned. My motto is that everything is easiest to correct at the design phase. Computers and modeling tools have made this even easier, so the potential for an even better Bandai Falcon at 1/72 is there.

Edit: I just re-read my post and I may have sounded too harsh. Falcon nuts are an insatiable lot, aren't they -- it's the one in me talking. But kudos to Bandai -- I really love this model.

Last edited:
I don't see the point why everyone here expects the Bandai MF to be accurate to the 5 footer. What we know for sure until now is that the TFA falcon does have differences to the 5' model. Looking at the official TFA pictures/screengrabs we have, it looks as if for example the tank rear hull parts miss the engine access hatches between the cooling fan grills. This is also represented on the Bandai kit. I also didn't see a proof that the TFA digital model does not have the side wall detail mirrored like the Bandai kit. Refering to a T-shirt print is as error prone as to take a Revell model as a reference, IMO. In contrast, everything that we really know for sure (proportions etc) seems to be very well represented on the Bandai kit.

If you want to check the kit for accuracy, you'll have to wait until the new movie is out... until then, comparing it to the 5-footer sounds to me as if you were complaining that it is too flat for an X-Wing and lacks the X-foils ;)

21 days to wait!

Yes, but these are just from some wall decal, as I understand it. The fact that in that image the cockpit is just black and does not show the inside detail does not make it very believeable to me. It would not be the first time when such a rendering is not from the actual CGI model used in the movie.
In contrast, in a German forum someone claims to have seen pictures from the trailers where mirrored detail is shown:
http://www.phoxim.de/forum/index.php?topic=10279.300 (post #324, unfortunately no link is given).

So to date, I do not see a reason why to believe that the mandible detail is not mirrored. We just don't know yet.

Yes, but these are just from some wall decal, as I understand it. The fact that in that image the cockpit is just black and does not show the inside detail does not make it very believeable to me. It would not be the first time when such a rendering is not from the actual CGI model used in the movie.
In contrast, in a German forum someone claims to have seen pictures from the trailers where mirrored detail is shown:
http://www.phoxim.de/forum/index.php?topic=10279.300 (post #324, unfortunately no link is given).

So to date, I do not see a reason why to believe that the mandible detail is not mirrored. We just don't know yet.

Trust me
J

If Bandai is making a 1:72 scale OT version I doubt that they simply change the dish. By now they have proven on many occasions that they REALLY CARE to deliver the best product and representation of a certain subject possible. So I believe they will use the same basic shapes and modify them according to the model(s) seen on screen. So I sincerely doubt that they will mirror the side walls on an OT Falcon, too. :)

Trust me
J

....Trust me now?

IMG_3307_zpspbhspqfy.jpg

J

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back