Apollo 13 Recovery Cap

BTTFSpencer

Sr Member
I am interested in acquiring a ball cap similar to the one worn by Jim Lovell (T. Hanks) at the end of Apollo 13.

The real cap was a "Harvard" brand wool baseball cap. I'm having a hard time tracking one that bares any resemblance whatsoever to the shape and profile.

lf

lf

lf

If anybody knows anything, please post! :)

I knew the lady who embroidered the caps for the movie. They looked quite a bit different than the real ones. Back in '95 I had her make me a cap using the template she used for the film. If you're interested in the movie version, I can dig it out for you.

I've seen this exact style of wool baseball cap. In fact, there is one on eBay now. If you look closely, the scrambled eggs and custom embroidery are done on separate piece of wool, then stitched on. But underneath, the cap is pretty standard looking.

Apollo 13 screencaps. May be navy, hard to tell.

Attachments

• shot0005.jpg
    shot0005.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 228
  • shot0003.jpg
    shot0003.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 1,112
  • shot0006.jpg
    shot0006.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 297
Mike, unfortunately those really don't look much like the real things, it would seem.

I'm not sure when the Navy started to wear uniform ballcaps whill underway. If they're anything like today's, then they were navy blue.

-Max

I knew the lady who embroidered the caps for the movie. They looked quite a bit different than the real ones. Back in '95 I had her make me a cap using the template she used for the film. If you're interested in the movie version, I can dig it out for you.

I would love to see it!!

Okay, sorry this took so long. Here are pics. The first is a replica of the actual recovery cap I had done recently. Patches were chain-stitched on separate pieces of felt just like the real hats. The hat itself is a replica of a 1940's wool baseball hat:

IMG_0268.JPG

Here is the cap made for me by the company that did the ones for the movie (no longer in business--this hat is 20 years old). The template for the text is the same template they used for the movie, but she said for the movie caps she did everything manually, whereas with this cap she did the arced text manually, but the bottom part with the computer. Also, the hat itself is different and the scrambled eggs on the front don't look the same. Overall, not a great replica of the real hat or even the hat as it was made in the movie. But I was pretty stoked to get this as a teenager:

IMG_0270.JPG

And here are both:

IMG_0269.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Now that I look at it, the scrambled eggs are the same as the ones in the movie, just positioned differently. So it's not such a bad replica after all.

A "bye the bye", the first picture in the screen grabs. The officer shaking hands with Hanks, is the real Jim Lovell doing an uncredited cameo...

Regards,
Chuck

Okay, sorry this took so long. Here are pics. The first is a replica of the actual recovery cap I had done recently. Patches were chain-stitched on separate pieces of felt just like the real hats. The hat itself is a replica of a 1940's wool baseball hat:

View attachment 620019

Here is the cap made for me by the company that did the ones for the movie (no longer in business--this hat is 20 years old). The template for the text is the same template they used for the movie, but she said for the movie caps she did everything manually, whereas with this cap she did the arced text manually, but the bottom part with the computer. Also, the hat itself is different and the scrambled eggs on the front don't look the same. Overall, not a great replica of the real hat or even the hat as it was made in the movie. But I was pretty stoked to get this as a teenager:

View attachment 620022

And here are both:

View attachment 620023

- - - Updated - - -

Now that I look at it, the scrambled eggs are the same as the ones in the movie, just positioned differently. So it's not such a bad replica after all.

Really awesome. What brand of hats were used?

My "real" cap came from the Ideal Cap Co (their 1940's style baseball cap - Navy with green under brim). My "movie" cap is a New Era brand cap, but I don't know if this is the same brand as the movie cap because I think those were fitted caps and the one I have is adjustable. But my movie cap is Navy with gray under the brim as were the caps in the movie. The real caps are green under the brim.

I have an actual harvard cap (USS IWO JIMA - APOLLO 13), though it is not an astronaut version of the cap (with the gold trim). The cap was given to me by a family friend that was on board as part of the television crew. It's a small size (6 3/4). Will try to post a photo.

Hello! Any chance you're still active on here and wouldn't mind helping me get in touch with her? I'm hoping to get a replica of the movie version made for my boyfriend. Thank you!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back