Star Wars Launch Bay Opens @ Disneyland

Disney did not get the Archives. The Archives have been spun into a "trust"/museum entity. Probably one day bound for Lucas' Chicago museum thing?

I don't think many will be disappointed they don't have the originals on display. I know some have been repaired but even fifteen years ago when I saw some at the Barbican exhibition in London I was surprised how many of the smaller parts had been broken off. It makes far more sense that they are preserved in the Archives where they can be referenced for accuracy. The reverence many have for them in this studio scale section while totally justified, probably doesn't translate to the wider population to be honest.
The newer versions look excellent, though the Star Destroyer doesn't appear to be finished (the hull side trenches are empty) . It appears somebody has FINALLY broken the curse of the SLAVE 1, with a beautiful build there!!!! Nice to see such a strong range of OT ships, the A wing , B wing and the huge Blockade Runner and the Imperial fighters look great. It would be great to see some pics though. Oh and they need a Death Star in there!!!
They appear to have left space for more props though! I guess as more films are produced the displays will change. Or additional models will be built from the CGI files. The UK could do with one of these like the Harry Potter tour!!!

Remember the 'Star Trek Experience' in Vegas. In the museum there about 99.9% of the displays, props, and model were replicas, even though Paramount still owned all the originals. People working there even told guests they were the real ones. They were never happy or believed me when I explained they were not :)

The newer versions look excellent, though the Star Destroyer doesn't appear to be finished (the hull side trenches are empty) . It appears somebody has FINALLY broken the curse of the SLAVE 1, with a beautiful build there!!!! Nice to see such a strong range of OT ships, the A wing , B wing and the huge Blockade Runner and the Imperial fighters look great. It would be great to see some pics though. Oh and they need a Death Star in there!!!

I haven't even take n my pics off the camera card yet, but will need to take a closer look at the SD (and post some pics). Time is hard to find though...

Where the heck would they get a Death Star!?

I haven't even take n my pics off the camera card yet, but will need to take a closer look at the SD (and post some pics). Time is hard to find though...

Where the heck would they get a Death Star!?

I should read posts a little more carefully, but it was early in the morning and I'll look forward to seeing what you've photographed .

My Death Star observation was purely just that. Perhaps of all the SW designs its the one I'd like to see rebuilt ,simply because of its essentialness to the film. Many people forget but until you actually saw ANH, nothing like the Death Star had ever been really visualized and years on its still a hugely iconic image. Given the obvious speed with which they have redone the tour using obviously existing repros to do it quickly, its a key model I'd really enjoy seeing done in the future, along with the Sscale Sandcrawler , now that somebody has managed to do the Slave 1.

If Disney are contracting skilled builders to reproduce designs its one I'd like to see done. Yours is the only near complete and incredibly detailed personal build of a DS that I know of in existence, so it would not go amiss if another one was built for display for Disney by somebody else. When ever I look at yours in progress it still has that incredibly powerful "WOW" factor, more so than any print or matt painting. So a completed SS DS in a lit cabinet, centre floor would be a massive draw. Who would not want to see themselves pictured beside it?

And they could always hire you as an advisor!!!!!!

Its been an ongoing saga... As I've posted about before, my son was 8 years-old and just getting into soccer (with me coaching) when I started the project, (he's nearly 16 now) and time for props has steadily decreased over the years as he has gotten older, and more involved (my daughter too, for that matter).

I was making very good progress over the summer on the lights for the left, upper half, and almost got them all done. Then its on to the lights on the right upper (which are 30% complete already), and then those challenging trench lights.

When viewing the display at Disney last weekend, and realizing they were repos, the thought of a sanctioned DS reproduction occurred to me. Curious if they considered it. Curious if they ever may do it. Personally, my ego would be OK with it as long as I can get my butt in gear and finish mine so I can more solidly say mine was the first! ;)

If I were you, I would not let that Death Star out of my house for ANYTHING. Don't lend it to any one, ever. Fan or official. Sell it, or keep it. And if you *do* sell it, charge a FORTUNE. That is YEARS of your life, man.

Agreed. And its not very travel-worthy either (wonder how Gus moves the original when he does?)... I am now between soccer seasons, and aside from holiday stuff, hope to find time to plug away at more lights.

Who wants to see what models?

IMG_2184.JPG

I would be annoyed if they DID put the real ILM model ships on display. Those things are fragile. Anything other than covered dark climate-controlled storage is bad for them in the long run. Even moving them around isn't good.

What's the difference between a big model built for filming vs a big model built for display? It's not an important difference to the average park-goer. In fact most props in movies exist with many duplicates, and the average person is more aware of this fact than the once were. Many people would probably be surprised to hear they only had one Millennium Falcon model for ANH. Etc.

I don't know about you guys, but I was thinking that there are many of us here on the RPF that feel like they could of given that Red 5 a better paint job. No offense, if someone here actually did paint it. Just my opinion.

Be curious how they came about (process, [molded? 3D printed? What?], who [ILM? Disney? Private contracts?]

ILM doesn't have a model shop anymore and Disney Imagineering did not build them. Like most installations in the parks they were contracted out.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back