Star Wars Launch Bay Opens @ Disneyland

DaveG

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Disneyland just opened the Star Wars Launch Bay in the renovated Innoventions (Carousel of Progress) Building in Tomorrowland. They have quite a few studio scale models on display along with props and costumes from the original Trilogy and the new movie. There are a couple of video tours on YouTube. Looks like I'll be taking a trip to Anaheim soon!

Last edited:
Headed there in two weeks. Super excited to see all the Star Wars stuff, errm, I mean take my son to Disneyland for the first time! Lol

Bugs me that they have models there that were digital for the movies, and the general public is going to think they shot actual miniatures.

I wonder about the models, too. Does anyone know who has ownership of the original props and models. I would have thought when Lucas sold SW to Disney, he would have kept the props. Studio models not likely to be used in the digital era and other props are easy enough to do over, so Disney didn't really need them. But I don't even know if Lucas ever technically had ownership of the of models and props. Legally, it might have been ILM.

They are all replicas.

They are masterfully built, and beautifully painted and weathered. But they appear too "fresh", for lack of a better term. Like many of our replicas (licensed or home-built), just a little too good...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the never called me!

Though there is a nice wall print of my favorite subject...

Knock them around a bit, store them for 30 years in a barn, and then we can reassess! :D

You're right though, nothing beats the real deals. Spine tingling to see them in person, every time.

But this is pretty dang amazing for a Disney theme park, I think!

I do find it a little unsettling that there will be scores of people thinking that they are seeing the "actual models" from the film - seems a little disingenuous that there is no signage at all that says these are replicas, but Disney does what they want. And honestly our feelings on stuff like this are so far into the minority...

Although I am a little disappointed they are not the original models I am not really surprised. The originals are worth millions (and millions) of dollars and this isn't a "museum" it's a theme park preview center. Also, unless I am mistaken, I do not believe the archives were included in the sale and that Disney does not own the original models.

30+ years does take its toll!

I'll try to post some pics later. Overall its a well done display, though I do agree that it is a bit questionable that the models are indeed replicas though not called out as such. Perhaps our SoCal RPF/DL annual passholders should take it upon themselves to serve as unofficial concierges or docents! ;)

The Tantive model in particular was uniquely impressive. Practical engine lights that look far better that the original model. And gone is the Playboy centerfold, replaced by an illuminated, detailed cockpit image (ala the MR Falcon's rear cockpit wall).

The Star Destroyer is also impressive, though missing any sign of the starboard side mount.

The cases the models are in are well-designed and lit, a number of which allow a full 360-degree viewing.

I do find it a little unsettling that there will be scores of people thinking that they are seeing the "actual models" from the film - seems a little disingenuous that there is no signage at all that says these are replicas, but Disney does what they want. And honestly our feelings on stuff like this are so far into the minority...

That was my point exactly! I think there should be some kind of sign to let people know these aren't the real deal.

But I don't think that's really the point of the display. The ships are all characters. In the same way that you don't really need a sign underneath C3PO in Star Tours saying he's not the actual one from the movie. Also every thing at the park is a bit "hyper" real. Cleaner, a more perfect version of reality. Main Street is how Walt wanted us to remember small town America, not how it really was. The models in the archives are very beat up. I'm not sure most people would have understood seeing battered old models in this setting as they would have in a museum. Also we all know the models are more heavily weathered to the eye than they look on film. So in some way these replicas represent the ships as we remember them, not as there really are or were.

I wonder about the models, too. Does anyone know who has ownership of the original props and models. I would have thought when Lucas sold SW to Disney, he would have kept the props. Studio models not likely to be used in the digital era and other props are easy enough to do over, so Disney didn't really need them. But I don't even know if Lucas ever technically had ownership of the of models and props. Legally, it might have been ILM.

ILM was part of Lucasfilm, of which George Lucas was the sole stockholder. So the models all belonged to him. But I don't believe the archives (and models) were included in the sale to Disney.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back