George Lucas breaks up wit Star Wars

I have felt for a while that Disney abandoned most of what GL envisioned for TFA, but this confirms it. I am a bit melancholy to see how complete this doe ration is but I understand it from both perspectives. I'm and huge fan if George and always will be.

Doe rations are pretty tasty. Being a lot leaner, venison is an interesting substitute for beef
:lol

I agree. I see both sides viewpoint on this and it does suck in a way. But I think GL is handling it the right way. I say that as a guy who has been through a divorce. We don't Lucas being the creepy stalker guy driving by the movie premiere.[emoji85]

I'm VERY interested to know where his storyline would have taken us. Wonderful "break-up" analogy. Thank you for all you have given us, GL! :)

I can see both sides but I'm sad that some sort of happy medium couldn't have been reached. While I haven't been a fan of most of what he was involved with in the last 15-20 years, I will always have respect for him and what he's given us. Directorial critiques aside, he is an incredible "ideas" guy and has great vision.

There were rumors the GL/Arendt treatment focused on the Skywalker grandkids and they would be teens or pre-teens. Disney caught a Phantom Menace wiff and said no way.

The happiest day of his life was giving the keys to the Mouse and cashing in and finally getting away from the franchise

I still hold out that he will go back and make a few avant-gard films but I know that is a huge pipe dream!

After watching that I'm kind of glad he's gone.

First line "the issue was, ultimately, they looked at the stories and they said "we wanna make something for the fans". All I wanna do is tell a story of what happened."

So, Disney want to please fans and endeavour to make something we want to see and he wants to just keep flogging the same old dead horse.

anyone else notice george say its about "grand fathers" interesting...

Vanity Fair did a somewhat humorous little vid a month or two ago where JJ answered questions from random celebrities and George was one of them. He asked something along the lines of "What happened to Darth Vader's grandkids?" I wondered then if there was some (playful? passive aggressive?) ribbing going on there, and judging from this newest vid, I'd say it's quite possible. About a year ago, someone asked George if he was curious to see what JJ and LFL has come up with and his response was a rather blunt "Not really". That seems to jibe with the "breakup" analogy he's using though I still wonder if there was some bad blood/hurt feelings involved.

I've got nothing but respect and admiration for Uncle George, but no one forced him to sell Star Wars. If he wanted to make more films projecting his vision for the saga he had the means to do so, but he didn't. Star Wars lay dormant for decades in between the trilogies and since the last set he's done nothing.

He's doing the right thing by making a clean break, but I can't help but wonder how many great Star Wars and Indy films there could have been when the actors were young if George hadn't sat around for years while they collected dust and the merchandising money came pouring in. Even if he didn't want to make them himself, others could have directed like with ESB/ROTJ.

That's very true. Frankly, I think "telling a story of what happened" and "pleasing fans" don't have to be mutually exclusive and if that's the ideology he's been working under, that could explain a lot.

Exactly. It's not an either/or situation. You can do both at the same time, but I kinda get the sense that, to George, the fans are just another group of people trying to limit his vision. At this point in his career, I don't think he wants anyone telling him how to do anything.

The thing is, I think he's absolutely right about needing to just walk away entirely, and it sounds like he didn't do that initially. He stuck around, provided a voice, and was consulted some...until people realized that he saw things very differently from them, and did something else instead.

To be honest.......I don't think he should've been consulted at all. I don't think he should've been involved at all. And I think that should have come from him. It was always likely that he'd be approached by JJ, Kathleen Kennedy, and other higher-ups at the new LucasFilm. They'd probably do so "out of respect" or "to honor his legacy" or somesuch. And that's the point at which he should've taking the high road and said "Guys...this is really sweet of you to do...but I'm out. I'm retired. I know you'll do great with this, and even if it isn't what I imagined for the story, I'll support you either way. Go kick some ass. It's your turn now, kids."

Instead, because he's generally a nice guy and I think probably assumes other folks are too, he said "Oh, you want to know what I'd have done? Ok, sure. Happy to help and answer your questions." Then when he was ignored or they shot down his ideas, after a while, it was probably like "Well, why the hell do you keep asking me if you're just gonna ignore me anyway?!"

A break-up would imply someone is broken up about the ordeal. A guy making out owning the second most property of the Mouse and will not only get kick backs for the rest of his life for whatever the conglomerate coughs up, from princesses to super people; I think he more than made out amicably.

I feel the SW most of us "fans" remember and love is really very different from the SW GL envisioned. I will always respect GL for everything he has created and contributed to the SW universe, but time rolls on, and things change. Breakups are tough to take, it hurts, but moving on is the right thing for everyone. It gives both GL and Disney a fresh clean slate or canvas to work on. .... May the Force be with them all!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back