***COMPLETED**** Pcoz's Hasbro Hero Star Wars X-Wing Conversion

Pcoz

Hey everybody... I realize there have been a bunch of these x-wing conversions but there so cool, what's one more gonna hurt ? lol

This is actually my 2nd Star Wars toy conversion. If anyone is interested, I converted a Disney 18" Boba Fett figure you can check out here: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f22/purchased-disney-18-boba-fett-cut-into-pieces-figure-mod-52579/

So at the beginning of the summer, when I saw this on the shelves for $32, I knew I had to grab it and stash it away for a future mod.

86481FF250569047F54D3550AC2723E8.jpg

As most of you are aware, the scale is pretty good, but the details are fairly horrific in areas. There are only (2) wings as well which must be cut apart, rebuilt if you want to have the classic x-wing pose.....and honestly, who wouldn't....such a great image of sci-fi nostalgia.

20150519_113900.jpg

I couldn't find a luke figure, do I grabbed the Biggs figure at Toys R Us one day and tossed him in the closet. And yes, eventually he does come out of the closet. Sorry, couldn't resist.

IMG_8622.JPG

Here is the x-wing in it's original put together form intended by Hasbro...

IMG_8623.JPG

The fun part: cutting it into pieces

IMG_8624.JPG

I couldn't resist the urge for immediate gratification by cutting out the windows

IMG_8625.JPG

IMG_8626.JPG

Also, the stickers are just horrible. A little sand paper first, then water, then goof off did the trick to get it cleaned up

IMG_8628.JPG

IMG_8630.JPG

My initial intentions were to have this completed in about 2 weeks.

IMG_8632.JPG

So I kinda jumped in with both feet and started rolling....

IMG_8633.JPG

IMG_8634.JPG

Hot glue works great with this crappy plastic...as long as you keep it hidden. I wouldn't suggest using it on any finished joints

IMG_8637.JPG

Foam boarded the underside of the wings

IMG_8639.JPG

Later, I can cut out the areas to install the engine details pretty easily.

IMG_8640.JPG

The other great thing about foam...it's super light. So if you plan on hanging from the ceiling, you won't have reinforce your joists...

IMG_8641.JPG

cut off the plastic tabs and drilled holes for future LED lighting

IMG_8643.JPG

IMG_8644.JPG

Jumped over to the cannons and drilled through....

IMG_8645.JPG

....using simple wooden dowels

IMG_8646.JPG

Hot glued inside for max stability

IMG_8647.JPG

Sizing seemed pretty good so I matched the lengths

IMG_8648.JPG

IMG_8659.JPG

Now for the hard part...making them round after the butcher job of cutting them off the wings

IMG_8660.JPG

I decided to fill it with foam, fill and sand.

We'll see if that is acceptable. if not, I just rebuild from scratch.

Thanks for looking

Pcoz

Last edited:
Re: Pcoz's Hasbro Hero Star Wars X-Wing Conversion

Thanks Vacformedhero....I did all that in a couple of hours.... Yes, I saw Miranda Tempest's thread and her stuff looks great so far ! She's the reason I'm gonna slow down and take my time from here on out. I'd like to get it as close the screen accurate scale model as I can, but I'm willing to concede a few things. After all, when you start rebuilding everything, you might as well just scratch build it at that point.

Maybe we can all learn a few things from each other. I definitely have a weird process of doing things sometimes, so we'll see how it goes....

Pcoz

and beat goes on....

so I filled the cavities with foam but until it works out, I may just rebuild the whole thing from scratch...we'll see

IMG_8661.JPG

IMG_8663.JPG

IMG_8664.JPG

IMG_8666.JPG

IMG_8670.JPG

again, using wooden dowels...I may switch to poly

IMG_8671.JPG

IMG_8672.JPG

balsa wood

IMG_8674.JPG

happened to see some aluminum strips at the hardware store....thought they might work out

IMG_8675.JPG

IMG_8677.JPG

need to clean them up a little and smooth the cuts

IMG_8678.JPG

as I looked at the studio scale model, it was obvious this engine detail had to be completely redone

IMG_8680.JPG

I thought I could get away with just cutting off the jets....

IMG_8681.JPG

but the detail here so far off from the real thing I almost want to rebuild all of it from scratch

IMG_8682.JPG

IMG_8683.JPG

removing the vertical divide

IMG_8688.JPG

sanded as best I could... it's tough to get in there !

IMG_8695.JPG

cutting and smoothing edges

IMG_8698.JPG

IMG_8701.JPG

IMG_8705.JPG

I'm really thinking about a complete rebuild in this area.

IMG_8707.JPG

well, that's it for now...I'll be back in a week or so.

I've decided to order styrene sheets and rods (never used before) because I'm honestly sick of balsa wood.

Any and all suggestions welcome !

Oh yeah, can anyone recommend a good source for styrene sheets & accessories ?

Thanks !

Pcoz

Last edited:

Evergreen Plastics & Plastruct is widely available in North America, perhaps elsewhere. Often found as displays in hobby store fronts but also available through online order. EV is easier for most gluing since it is straight styrene while Plastruct has both ABS plastic and styrene in their line, so watch which material is used. Neither will bond with usual solvents to the polypropylene plastic used by Hasbro so must resort to 'super glues' or epoxies for the job (mechanical cements - like hot glue stick!) Car bumper adhesion promoters seem to be the way to go to make for stronger joints. I suppose you can also engineer fasteners using screws... yee-haw!

Regards, Robert

Evergreen Plastics & Plastruct is widely available in North America, perhaps elsewhere. Often found as displays in hobby store fronts but also available through online order. EV is easier for most gluing since it is straight styrene while Plastruct has both ABS plastic and styrene in their line, so watch which material is used. Neither will bond with usual solvents to the polypropylene plastic used by Hasbro so must resort to 'super glues' or epoxies for the job (mechanical cements - like hot glue stick!) Car bumper adhesion promoters seem to be the way to go to make for stronger joints. I suppose you can also engineer fasteners using screws... yee-haw!

Regards, Robert

Oh, forgot to ask...how about filling and sanding styrene...I know I can research this but I'm sure there are plenty of people here who have the value of experience. After all, the definition of an expert is someone who has made every conceivable mistake in a narrow filed.....

I'd throw the toy ones away Pcoz because by the time you've done all you need to do to them you mind as well of scratched new ones.
This is what I did ,,
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=234357

Wow ! that is awesome...not sure how I missed that post....I need to search better.

I did fill the voids in my cannons with putty and it has hardened. I'll see if I can work it out, but I should probably take your advice and just scratch it.

I plan in working on it today, so we'll see.

Thanks!

Pcoz, I can recommend 3M Acryl-White glazing & Spot putty for filling surface defects. For contouring and filling voids that need spanning strength, 2-part epoxy putty is the way to go. There may even be a Bondo product that is compatible, but I have no direct experience with polyester putties & fillers and PP plastics...

Regards, Robert

Pcoz, I can recommend 3M Acryl-White glazing & Spot putty for filling surface defects. For contouring and filling voids that need spanning strength, 2-part epoxy putty is the way to go. There may even be a Bondo product that is compatible, but I have no direct experience with polyester putties & fillers and PP plastics...

Regards, Robert

Very good...thank you. I guess, just everything else, trial and error and see what I like best....

One tip for novice 'plastic scratchbuilders' - Evergreen Plastics sells a very useful softback book that details lots of techniques for using their (of course) products. It isn't expensive and is often found in hobby shops that carry the plastic. Available through their website also, however.

http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/Book.htm

Regards, Robert

One tip for novice 'plastic scratchbuilders' - Evergreen Plastics sells a very useful softback book that details lots of techniques for using their (of course) products. It isn't expensive and is often found in hobby shops that carry the plastic. Available through their website also, however.

http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/Book.htm

Regards, Robert

Very cool...thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'm getting antsy, Would it be rude of me to start working on my x-wing while the whole family is over for Thanksgiving today ? Uh, yeah....I guess it would since I cook the turkey every year, lol

I made the whole meal except for the mashed potatoes which my wife did... now I am fighting a "turkey coma"!

R/ Robert

I made the whole meal except for the mashed potatoes which my wife did... now I am fighting a "turkey coma"!

R/ Robert

Haha, yeah...I did the turkey, potatos, gravy.....my wife had 1 job and she managed to overcook the broccoli into mush ! lol, good times

After baking yeast rolls, making cranberry salsa (very good), kale & cranberry sauce yesterday. I finished up today with the bird, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, green bean casserole, 'stuffing' & fruit salad. I stayed away from broccoli since I tend to overcook it also. Great meal for our family and friends, but I'm bushed.

R/ Robert

You win ! That's a TON of stuff to cook and prepare.... I do the main 3 and the rest of the family pitches in with all the other dishes, side and deserts. My wife can't cook in a kitchen that doesn't have a microwave...lol.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back