***COMPLETED**** Pcoz's Hasbro Hero Star Wars X-Wing Conversion

Re: Pcoz's Hasbro Hero Star Wars X-Wing Conversion

Part 1 of 2 Wings / Washes and Paint

Back with some more painting and weathering. I have to say it again, it's been so easy painting these as separate pieces as opposed to one unit just because of it's sheer size ! Catch the Titanic reference there ?

Anyway, lets go...

I mixed some black, brown and white and used a dry natural sponge to replicate some battle damage.

20161215_164134_zps8saipxd6.jpg

Then turned my attention back to the dreaded WASH ! I experimented a little as I went and felt a lot better with the process...obviously towards the end

20161215_170043_001_zpsnonwdrzl.jpg

Fast forward to one wing washed.

20161215_173425_zpsctixtl1l.jpg

Here we have the side by side comparison so far.....plenty more detail to come.

20161215_173719_zpsx6iknvkj.jpg

For the nozzles on the engines, I mixed airbrush paint. Metallic Silver, Brown, Black, and White. it has just the slightest reflective property.

20161216_155719_zpspzzk7rit.jpg

Then I airbrushed a Black and Dark Brown on the ends for the exhaust. I will refrain from using straight Black throughout this paint job. Black by itself will create "holes" and flatten your painting....thanks Art College :thumbsup

20161216_160121_zpsazghav1t.jpg

The usual suspects

20161216_161420_zpswqjkppcq.jpg

Close up of the nozzle pre wash....

20161216_164739_zpsfgg1hq6e.jpg

and the wing almost complete. Metal chipping and other various wear and tear to come....small details. It's in the DETAILS ! Lol

20161216_170925_zpsgj7ijrdi.jpg

I used more wash on the engines than on the wing and I'm definitely going to do more there to darken and add life, but I haven't quite worked that out yet. I am open to suggestions !

Christmas was nice to me as I received the Vallejo Rust and Steel Acrylic Color Weathering Set / Art. 70.150 to experiment with....

20161216_170956_zps7w2dacgq.jpg

Upper wings

20161220_200644_zpsii51siis.jpg

and now some work on the underbelly.....Acrylic sponge treatment again and wash

20161220_202444_zpsr2bmmhbm.jpg

Inside the wings, I darkened my wash up to create depth and shadows.

20161220_204508_002_zps8trx04lu.jpg

Side by Side comparison. Although the picture gives it a brownish look, to the eye it's less noticeable in person.

20161221_112913_zpstajsdwby.jpg

20161221_205016_zpslwdnnnmh.jpg

20161221_205022_zpsshf7faov.jpg

Ok, wings are stacked and I'm on to the cannons....

20161224_155549_zpspsvorvpd.jpg

As always, thanks for looking !

More Soon !

Part 2 of 2 Cannons / Washes and Paint

Here are the cannons completed for the most part.

Started with the washes

20161224_160317_zpsrgdbz26d.jpg

20161224_160614_zpsbaccfo10.jpg

But after further inspection, I did decide to go back and repaint this area beige......

20161224_170417_zps69kkovpi.jpg

Let it dry

20161224_171236_zpsicifmoog.jpg

Finished washes and then mixed a dark grey with a little brown to create the paint chipping.

20161225_062912_zpsx5gjr46q.jpg

I used an old brush, smashed it to a fray to create 2 types of wear and tear. The first one is seen on the lower left of the body below, where you use a small amount of paint to start. Once applied to an area, completely dry the brush and then come back to the fresh paint to lightly spread it around and away from the center of the damaged area. this is mostly achieved by blotting.

20161225_063215_zpszgmzbq6y.jpg

The second method, shown below, is to dab it directly to the edges where obvious chipping and damage would occur.

20161225_063545_zps01e6sbiv.jpg

The trick is always trying not to over do it and add too much.....but sometimes it's just so fun, you have to force yourself to stop.

20161225_064329_zpscrnawquq.jpg

Applied the same painting techniques to the rest of each cannon

20161225_064334_zpsyaczckmz.jpg

It's also a good idea to stand back from your work and visualize it from a greater or more accurate viewing distance to gauge what areas may need more work. I've found this to be true for any project where your working so close to achieve small details.

20161225_064339_zpsf1vtvhjj.jpg

I've also found that varying the "damage" gives it more visual appeal rather than replicating the exact same technique, color, or design over the entire project.

20161225_065008_zpslfehzwfy.jpg

I try to gently touch it once or twice and also vary the angle or the side of the brush I use. Again, so patterns aren't replicated.

20161225_065841_zpsizidry4w.jpg

Once I'm done with the frayed brush, I grab a small fine detail brush and touch up or add to specific areas the other brush was either too big for, or just for visual balance.

20161225_070107_zpsqamsqzib.jpg

20161225_070811_zps2gratma4.jpg

20161225_070841_zpsrvq03zzh.jpg

And here are all the cannons completed for the most part. Another WIN ! woo hoo ! I LOVE progress, lol

20161225_070937_zpso59kwmuj.jpg

Well, that's it for now.

I will be painting some chipping details and finalize the paint on the fuselage and the butt plate.

Finish R2, wire and attach wings / cannons

Complete Base.

FINISH LINE...Can't wait...I think :unsure

Thanks for looking !

Real quick update:

Painting is coming along.

I've got a few more details to touch up and debate on.....then attach the wings and wire up for lights.

IMG_0267_zps0hpzx2fb.jpg

IMG_0275_zps3yslllqc.jpg

IMG_0276_zpsvmcinabp.jpg

Loosely assembled

IMG_0273_zpstzs7n6su.jpg

Can't wait to finally get the wings attached permanently !

IMG_0271_zpslhej1jdk.jpg

Thanks for looking !

Cya soon

LOOKING FANTASTIC! I have really enjoyed watching this progress - thanks for sharing.

Looks great! Every close-up pic of the weathering I started thinking "nope, he's gone too far" but then when I look at the wider angle shots it all comes together nicely. I'm definitely used to thinking of things in smaller scales than this, where that much detail becomes clutter fast, but at this scale it really works. One thing I would say is that, while I really like what you did with the dark paint and brush on the cannons, you can definitely get a similar result by using steel wool or some sandpaper to expose the black primer. I'm sure you considered it and decided against, and I'd be interested in hearing what the thought process was. I'd also love to hear more about the initial stages of masking before spraying the base, as I think that came out fantastic and it's not a technique I've really seen before.

Looks great! Every close-up pic of the weathering I started thinking "nope, he's gone too far" but then when I look at the wider angle shots it all comes together nicely. I'm definitely used to thinking of things in smaller scales than this, where that much detail becomes clutter fast, but at this scale it really works. One thing I would say is that, while I really like what you did with the dark paint and brush on the cannons, you can definitely get a similar result by using steel wool or some sandpaper to expose the black primer. I'm sure you considered it and decided against, and I'd be interested in hearing what the thought process was. I'd also love to hear more about the initial stages of masking before spraying the base, as I think that came out fantastic and it's not a technique I've really seen before.

Haha, I may as well have written this because I felt exactly the same way you did !

Details: I was almost ready to repaint EVERYTHING because I thought it was way too much. Each area kind of "got away from me" with fine detail. Once I loosely assembled it, stood back, the details blended and it made sense. Obviously the larger scale needs more detail than the smaller X'Wings. Bullet dodged!

So the dark "paint chipping" on the cannons was actually an after thought because of my poor planning. Originally, since I really didn't see that kind of detail in any models, it escaped my paint planning stages. Normally I would use a chipping fluid and scratch the surface away to reveal the base color. Since I didn't prepare my layers properly to do that, I had to paint them instead.

Lastly, the base coat masking was an idea I just came up with to vary the tones. Instead of having just one solid base color, I wanted varying subtle "weathered" shades peaking through the finished paint job. I knew a lot of it would eventually be covered up. To me, the scale dictated this as well.

This is all fairly new to me so I'm also experimenting as I go with different processes, paints, techniques, etc. I have experience painting and drawing, so I'm hoping that will help me. At the end of the day, I'd like a unique large scale x-wing to adorn my basement. Mission almost accomplished...lol

Thanks for checking it out !

*****BUILD POLL*****

Who thinks I should have R2 repairing the X-wing in mid flight ?

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-13476_zpsd4adffle.jpg

Thoughts Welcomed !

Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the response guys.....

Great choice ! Lol :D:thumbsup

This thread is amazing. Can't believe I'd missed it for so long. Outstanding work and very informative.

as for R2, I agree with the others. It'll look great.

Absolutely! That little detail would be icing on the cake. My vote for some Astromech action :)

Thanks for replying ! I don't believe I've ever seen a model with it done....so of course, I've gotta do it !

Fully Inspired, working on it now ! :cool

****HELP PLEASE*****

I decided to "glass" the canopy with clear plastic sheeting. For the LIFE of me I cannot find the right glue to hold it. I know that super glues don't work. I tried Elmer's Glue but it popped right off with just a small amount of pressure.

The inside of the canopy is painted and I don't want to remove that because it will expose the white plastic and will be visible once the clear plastic is adhered.

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated !

Last edited by a moderator:

Check Micromark. They have a glue designed for that. Its a tacky glue that dries completely clear. Im at work and dont have the name right now. I have two bottle of the stuff. Its a life saver.

Check Micromark. They have a glue designed for that. Its a tacky glue that dries completely clear. Im at work and dont have the name right now. I have two bottle of the stuff. Its a life saver.

Hmmm, thanks. Just looked around the website and this seems to be the closest: Watch Crystal Cement, Two 1/3 Oz. Tubes.

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions..... Joe, that van is just amazing !

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back