***COMPLETED**** Pcoz's Hasbro Hero Star Wars X-Wing Conversion

Re: Pcoz's Hasbro Hero Star Wars X-Wing Conversion

Hay is there any way you can send me a copy of the art work you made for the cockpit ? to my yahoo address or something ?Awesome work on it.And what brand of mold making material for engines do you recamend?

Hay is there any way you can send me a copy of the art work you made for the cockpit ? to my yahoo address or something ?Awesome work on it.And what brand of mold making material for engines do you recamend?

I didn't mean to hijack the thread but wanted to share my cockpit for Hasbro Hero X-Wing:

Hasbro05_zpsyu9l5d7l.jpg

Hasbro04_zpsza7ixgvo.jpg

Hasbro03_zps5xhxned8.jpg

Hasbro02_zps0uagjewf.jpg

Hasbro01_zpsvnuxnzcl.jpg

More info here:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=263001

I like it but better maybe to start an independent thread though as this will generate a lot of interest.

Yes Gus, l absolutely love it ! It is amazing and way more detailed than mine......

But, there are 2 things...

1. I was already 90% done with mine.

2. I'm sure there will be quite a few here that would agree that building something one of a kind from scratch materials still has it attraction.

I do love it though and I believe I commented on your thread.

No worries about hijacking, we're all one big community here helping each other get better at our craft.

Thanks,

Agreed. Gus start another thread. Your work is epic and better to have it in its own place to get its own proper exposure. Both of you have different ways of tackling the beast, best to keep separate threads where future modelers can pick and choose how to proceed.

But really.....both of you guys are killing it.

Thanks for the kind words Lear60man, appreciate it. It really doesn't bother me who posts on this thread but I do agree it deserves its own thread. I'd love to see his version all painted and lit up with fiber optics. I'm sure it'd be sweet....

Last edited:

Hey Guys, back with a bit more today....

Started painting and weathering the cockpit some more

20160719_190439.jpg 20160719_190951.jpg 20160719_192019.jpg 20160724_202759.jpg

Adding some of the details using the Star Wars HD movie stills as reference: http://starwarsscreencaps.com/star-wars-episode-iv-a-new-hope-1977/68/

20160726_201702_001.jpg 20160726_210111.jpg 20160726_210117.jpg

Primed and painted rear and started to make the hoses out of different gauge wire. Then prime and paint the inside of the fuselage.

20160727_201246.jpg 20160727_201335.jpg 20160727_202531.jpg 20160728_155538.jpg

Test fitting the pieces and getting ready to start gluing them together.

20160728_203519.jpg 20160728_203523.jpg 20160728_203527.jpg 20160728_203646.jpg

My micro hand drill arrived and I'll start running the fiber optics. I ordered a ton of LED's, solid, flashers, etc. (more on those when they arrive)

Next update in a day or 2....

Thanks for looking !

Thank you sir ! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. Once I get the cockpit finished, I'll be ready to start painting. Can't wait...

Hello, back with a super small update and then I hope to have the cockpit finished today.

Since the wings were pretty much done, I went ahead and primed them. I used a white bonding primer that seemed to work best on that crappy toy plastic.

20160723_133731.jpg 20160723_134207.jpg 20160723_134211.jpg 20160723_164105.jpg

Then the next day I touched up some of the small details with Vallejo Surface Primer.

20160723_164112.jpg 20160723_164116.jpg 20160726_195625.jpg 20160726_195657.jpg

Once my cockpit is wired and painted completely, I'll start painting the entire bird. I just haven't decided if I want to paint the entire piece assembled or paint each piece and then assemble after.....

Thanks for checking it out. Hopefully have much more progress today.

Looking good pcoz;) I got my wings test fitted and it seems to me it will be too difficult to get paint into the engine areas when assembled. Great build:D

Last edited:

I just restored an old Icons x-wing, and I painted/weathered the wings first before installing them. It would have been difficult to paint the inner part of the wings any other way, especially near the engines.

Yes, you guys are probably right. My dilemma is that in order for me to completely wire this, the entire X-Wing needs to be assembled. The wiring runs through the entire model, fuselage, wings to engines, support tube, then down through the base. The base will house my 120V to 12V plug in adapter and my on/off switch. (Pic's on that soon)

I imagine that joining the upper and lower parts of the fuselage is going to need some filling at the seam, so I didn't want to pre paint those halves. My reasoning is that this paint job is going to be done in many, many layers of treatment and weathering. I want to paint the entire thing at the same time so it's a uniform application.

So, as I am typing this I am realizing my 2 best options.

1. Pre paint the internal engines, mask them off, completely assemble, paint.

2. Assemble fuselage and stub out wires for wings. Paint wings and fuselage separate but at the same time. Then solder wires, tuck inside as finished wings are installed.

Hmmmm

Could quick disconnects help with making the wings detachable (and allow for weathering separate from the fuselage?)

There are so many details depicting 'panels' that making one removeable for wiring access would be straight forward (something this large, even having a 'power block' buss is quite feasible...)

Of course, it just now occurs to me that using 'film' conductors for the circuits is very possible, which would simplify the wiring runs (by not using wires) within those tight gaps such as in the wings (or on the wings...)

R, Robert

I plan to use magnet wire, it's very thin so you can't push a lot of current but for a couple LEDs it would work. But I like the conductive film idea too.

I have ton of wire, LED's, etc....I will post my beautiful disaster very soon because I think I'm going to require some council on it's installation.

Hiding them won't be an issue. I can just drill a larger hole in the 2X4 block inside, solder the wiring from the each wing, feed the slack inside, then secure the wing to the model. Yes, Robert, this thing is so big, it has tons of natural "storage"

In fact, that's what I just decided to do....lol

Thanks for the input guys.

So here are my LED materials so far.....

I wanted to avoid the battery so it could be permanently "lit" wherever it ends up being displayed.

So my 120v to 12v transformer power supply should do the trick. Thanks Amazon :thumbsup

I found a great LED modeling website that makes all the different adjustable flashing LED's. Kind of expensive but worth it in the end because I wanted the lights to be flashing at different rates and on/off cycles in the cockpit. I got them red, blue, green, yellow, and white.

The straight red LED's for the engines and then model wiring down through the aluminum tube to the base. ON/OFF Switch, Power Supply....

leds-1.jpg

So I just need to figure out if I can daisy chain the wiring and figure out how to work in the step down to the 9v flashers.

***HELP***

I was wondering if anyone could recommend an air dry modeling clay that works well with styrene to create organic features with these models.

I remember someone talking about sculpty in one of these threads but I cannot locate the info.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back