***COMPLETED**** Pcoz's Hasbro Hero Star Wars X-Wing Conversion

Re: Pcoz's Hasbro Hero Star Wars X-Wing Conversion

What you don't see in these pic's is that I did run a rod from the top to the bottom inside so it would rotate. Adding a motor would be super easy.

So you could push a button on the finished display, the cockpit and engine lights come on and the cannon turret turns...me likey!!!;)...and what about a whole sound sequence??....X wing pass with the turret cannon fire......me double likey!!:D

Wow, you're really giving this one a full make-over, Pcoz. Love it.

Thanks !

It's getting there.....the BIG moments are yet to come. Priming and painting ! If I could just stop myself from building sh*% every time I sit down, I'd be done by now ! Lol. I just can't help myself.....

- - - Updated - - -

So you could push a button on the finished display, the cockpit and engine lights come on and the cannon turret turns...me likey!!!;)...and what about a whole sound sequence??....X wing pass with the turret cannon fire......me double likey!!:D

Stop ! You're spending more of my money $$$ !

Hmmm, I need to research sound now...

This is NEVER going to end, is it ?

<<snipped>>f I could just stop myself from building sh*% every time I sit down, I'd be done by now ! Lol. I just can't help myself.....<<snipped>>

Oh yeah, I know just what that is like!

R/ Robert

Thanks !

It's getting there.....the BIG moments are yet to come. Priming and painting ! If I could just stop myself from building sh*% every time I sit down, I'd be done by now ! Lol. I just can't help myself.....

- - - Updated - - -

Stop ! You're spending more of my money $$$ !

Hmmm, I need to research sound now...

This is NEVER going to end, is it ?��

You've done so much...practically scratch built the whole thing, I so no reason for you to stop now....so we need to see motors in the the turret, sound, switches, maybe some kind of rear projection backdrop with a SW scroll detailing the build with music....:lol....seriously though, at one stage I considered a motor mechanism to open and close the wings so I know how easy it is to want to do everything possible. :rolleyes

Haha, that's hilarious Yaris ! I literally LOL'd....

I think I do want one do some sort of sound though. Not sure where to start on that. I'll research.

Also, since my power will be supplied by 120v plug, the only way to get LED's in the turret would be to self contain them with a battery and switch. If I do motorize it, hard wiring them would just get bound up unless I could devise a way to have it rotate back and forth instead of a full on 360 degree spin. All great ideas to think about.

Thanks for the ideas guys !

Awesome work! I am blown away by all of your free hand detailing and construction. The results are just incredible!

For the back and forth of the turret you could look at a simple linkage mechanism like windshield wipers to get an idea of how to convert full rotation to just back and forth motion (click below).
Windscreen_Wiper.gif

For power conversion of the LED there are lots of inexpensive products you can use to step down and regulate the voltage and current so that you could have all running off the single plug in.

And you are right, it never will end. Which is great for us spectators on the side line :)

I'm noticing that this is part of the fun of these toy conversions...so much customization and outside the box thinking...rather than just following the steps of a model kit.

Den

Awesome work! I am blown away by all of your free hand detailing and construction. The results are just incredible!

For the back and forth of the turret you could look at a simple linkage mechanism like windshield wipers to get an idea of how to convert full rotation to just back and forth motion (click below).
View attachment 676781

For power conversion of the LED there are lots of inexpensive products you can use to step down and regulate the voltage and current so that you could have all running off the single plug in.

And you are right, it never will end. Which is great for us spectators on the side line :)

Thanks you sir ! I definitely appreciate the encouragement...As much as I'm enjoying this project, I am ready to be done so I can move to the next.

I like your animation and I may incorporate something like that ! I really need to figure out how to get the sound though.....I also want to letter the front of the base.....Star Wars T-65 Luke Skywalkers X-Wing maybe.

We'll see...

Thanks for following along !

I'm noticing that this is part of the fun of these toy conversions...so much customization and outside the box thinking...rather than just following the steps of a model kit.

Den

Exactly ! I've been following your MF mod and it's been great to see your progress and problem solving skills. Just have fun with it....at the end of the day, that what it's all about.

Thanks you sir ! I definitely appreciate the encouragement...As much as I'm enjoying this project, I am ready to be done so I can move to the next.

I like your animation and I may incorporate something like that ! I really need to figure out how to get the sound though.....I also want to letter the front of the base.....Star Wars T-65 Luke Skywalkers X-Wing maybe.

We'll see...

Thanks for following along !

maybe a Raspberry Pi controller for the sound/motion.

maybe a Raspberry Pi controller for the sound/motion.

Hmm. looks complicated.

I'd like a simple device with a speaker where I can load some audio files onto it and activate with a switch / button. I could maybe load a star wars theme and some laser sounds.....or maybe a sequence from the attack on the death star.

Hmm. looks complicated.

I'd like a simple device with a speaker where I can load some audio files onto it and activate with a switch / button. I could maybe load a star wars theme and some laser sounds.....or maybe a sequence from the attack on the death star.

Pcoz,

ONE BUTTON.......you push one button on the side of the diorama and your X Wing lights up, we hear the sound of your X Wing running through the trench, we hear the turret fire as the turret moves and then we hear Han say "let's blow this thing and go home"........seriously, it's not hard....:lol

***UPDATE PART 1 of 2***

Hey guys...back with an update. I'm finally PAINTING !!! YES !!! :thumbsup

Things are moving along fairly nicely now and I feel like it's starting to come together. I've actually got a base coat on my x-wing :)

Here goes...So the painting of this project is getting a little big so I had to move to the garage.

So I finished up all the squares for the death star surface base. I obviously didn't do it exactly screen accurate, but I just wanted to catch the essence...and to put to use some of the scraps that have been laying around. Some greeblies, I didn't try to mask, I thought it'd be kind of cool if people could pick them out when looking at it.

20161021_192136.jpg 20161021_201932.jpg 20161023_195633.jpg

Since the scale of this thing is a little big , I had to move the operation to the garage. my first prime coat went on fine, but I realized the sides of each square needed some filler.

20161024_074312.jpg

So I filled with wood filler, sanded, and repainted. This time in black primer. Then I used the gray primer to lightly highlight it without removing all of the black This is my base coat and I will come back later and airbrush, hand paint, etc. for slight weathering.

20161030_080710.jpg 20161030_083802.jpg 20161030_083817.jpg 20161030_083859.jpg

20161103_165716_001.jpg

So now to one of the most important issues and the scariest for me....THE X-WING COLOR !

I have researched a ton and have found different recommended processes from painting it black and paint then white to actual mixing ratios of certain colors to achieve the desired color. I have to tell you, I just went with my gut.

So without me telling you (yet) what I used........this is a test on one of the cannons and took it outside to see it in the sunlight. As a base tone, I really liked it.

Tell me what you think....Should I go with it ?

20161103_171317.jpg 20161103_171419.jpg

Too late, it's done....lol

20161104_052025.jpg 20161104_052030.jpg 20161104_052110.jpg 20161104_052128.jpg

I masked off the engines and the insides of the wings. Since I'm not really matching the scale model and the full size set x-wings from the movie stills left a little to be desired, I'm shooting just to make it it a little more realistic. My plan is to give these areas some real detail and attention instead of blending them in with the rest of the wing.

20161104_120706.jpg 20161104_121426.jpg 20161104_121435.jpg 20161104_135509.jpg

Thanks for looking, part 2 next !

Attachments

• 20161031_170648.jpg
    20161031_170648.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 164

****UPDATE PART 2****

Ok, so I loosely assembled the wings and and attached to the base. This rod was the rod I used to paint with, so the X-wing is way too high and set back.

20161104_140632.jpg 20161104_140742.jpg 20161104_141108.jpg 20161104_141113.jpg

I moved it to the lower rod and it's centered better. Took it outside to get some shots and see what might need improvement in either the structure or the color.

20161104_141248.jpg 20161104_141339.jpg 20161104_141345.jpg 20161104_141435.jpg

20161104_141457.jpg 20161104_141829.jpg 20161104_141900.jpg 20161104_141906.jpg

20161104_141924.jpg 20161104_141939.jpg 20161104_141943.jpg 20161104_141956.jpg

20161104_142004.jpg 20161104_142008.jpg

Then I hopped in and flew it between the neighbors houses ! Lol

20161104_141522.jpg

Thanks for looking ! As always, I'm open to suggestions and comments !

Last edited:

WOW!!! You've turned a plastic toy into a masterpiece! I can't wait to see it fully painted!

Getting to the end now and looking great!

Last edited:

Fantastic work. I have stayed away from buying this because of the lack of resin or 3 d printed parts.

pcoz, both the base and the ship look great...so much detailing on both. how stable is your display...looking at it makes me worry its going to tip over, but i think its just the angle in some of the pics.

Fantastic work. I have stayed away from buying this because of the lack of resin or 3 d printed parts.
agreed. though gus has a great cockpit, which i snagged, I'd be interested in some resin casts / prints of the engines and the cannons for sure.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back