***COMPLETED**** Pcoz's Hasbro Hero Star Wars X-Wing Conversion

Re: Pcoz's Hasbro Hero Star Wars X-Wing Conversion

I have never noticed the little post on the inside of the engine. Now I see it in my ref pictures. I'm planing on leaving 1 post out like on the original prototype.
View attachment 607034

Cool, I didn't notice that missing either....I'm just looking to get it close, increase detail and hopefully give it a great paint job

Another quick update:

I'm still learning how to work with styrene and have to say, I love it...

I'm using this reference photo

18b02a7d825cabc8ec8f21402b7a814af3a2d0aa.jpg

Progress pic's:

img_9672.jpg

img_9673.jpg

img_9675.jpg

img_9680.jpg

img_9682.jpg

img_9683.jpg

img_9684.jpg

So I hope I don't offend the SW Purist, but I'm adding a little more detail than what is there

img_9685.jpg

img_9686.jpg

img_9688.jpg

img_9689.jpg

img_9690.jpg

img_9691.jpg

test fit

img_9696.jpg

img_9700.jpg

img_9705.jpg

img_9707.jpg

This is where I'm at now and I've got some more to work out, fill and sand......I can't wait to get a prime coat on something !

Thanks for looking...

Pcoz

oh yeah, almost forgot....the mess as it sits now.

I had to do a loose assembly to get some feeling of progress and inspiration. Sometimes you work on such small areas for long periods of time and you feel like you're getting nowhere. There may indeed be a light at the end of this tunnel...

IMG_9726.JPG

ANY and ALL suggestions are welcome !

Pcoz

Looks greatly improved!
R/ Robert

Thank you sir. Last night I replaced all the balsa wood with styrene and I'll be working on building out the wings tonight. I will then order of my LEDs and fiber optics so I can start building out the cockpit. That will be fun since I'm starting to feel more comfortable building with styrene.

By the way, I was leaning towards using the flickering red LEDs for the engines. I have seen them on different hobby sites where they are intended for fire on scale railroads. I just wonder if they'll be bright enough.

Pcoz

A wing and a prayer !

ok, here's a quick update:

found some strange leather buttons intended for leather or something in the craft store....works out to be the size I needed

img_9727.jpg

img_9728.jpg

hole drilled and glued

img_9729.jpg

img_9730.jpg

Replaced the balsa wings with styrene

img_9733.jpg

img_9734.jpg

and then started on the trim and replacing the ones made of balsa

img_9736.jpg

img_9740.jpg

img_9743.jpg

img_9744.jpg

Used the Mod Podge Hard Coat dipped with a toothpick and tapped on to create a rivet...so far so good, and easy !

img_9747.jpg

drawing out the wing patterns

img_9752.jpg

copying them over to the rest of the wings

img_9758.jpg

scribed

img_9762.jpg

some of the details added

img_9764.jpg

BUT THEN I REALIZED I CUT OUT THE OPENINGS INCORRECTLY ! FACING THE WRONG DIRECTION ! AAAHHH!!!!

img_9767.jpg

Oh well, I repaired it and moving on....

img_9775.jpg

first time using bondo too.....

img_9777.jpg

completing the top of the wing and test fit

img_9780.jpg

figured I'd reinforce the wings with some square wooden dowels

img_9781.jpg

img_9782.jpg

img_9784.jpg

img_9786.jpg

test fit the engine

img_9789.jpg

Well, that's it for now...working on the details inside and the ends of the wings tonight. Hopefully get those done soon....

Thanks for looking !

Pcoz

my god your rear engines are spectacular:eek..so jealous, mine look like crap:facepalm

my god your rear engines are spectacular:eek..so jealous, mine look like crap:facepalm

Thank you sir, I appreciate that. I still have a lot more to do on them... filling, sanding, led's, etc.

Like I said before, the more you "fix" on this X-Wing, the more you just want to rebuild. Now that I'm building out the wings, the rest of the original wing looks horrible in comparison. I am going to try and resist the urge to rebuild those areas and hopefully the final paint will mask some of it's deficiencies.

Again, good luck on your build if you decide to continue.

Pcoz

Brilliant job with this Pcoz

I'm finding the same with my Hasbro Hero Falcon,.....I fix things while leaving some parts untouched,..only to go back & re-do everything

2 steps forward & 3 steps back

J

Thank you sir, I appreciate that. I still have a lot more to do on them... filling, sanding, led's, etc.

Like I said before, the more you "fix" on this X-Wing, the more you just want to rebuild. Now that I'm building out the wings, the rest of the original wing looks horrible in comparison. I am going to try and resist the urge to rebuild those areas and hopefully the final paint will mask some of it's deficiencies.

Again, good luck on your build if you decide to continue.

Pcoz

This bird is such a good base to build from, but I don't have the time or talent that you have.

I'm finding the same with my Hasbro Hero Falcon,.....I fix things while leaving some parts untouched,..only to go back & re-do everything

J

Thanks for the compliment.

I have checked out your MF build and it's fantastic! I am wondering though after all this, if these Hasbros are nothing more than big reference models. Sometimes I feel it's more difficult to work around something than to just build it.....lol

I have to admit though, I still get that anxious feeling of inspiration to work on and see this thing through to it's completion. I have drawn a lot of inspiration from all of you guys and gals on this site.

Hopefully soon we can put "FINISHED" in our title......

J

Now that is modeling-value for money! A never ending modeling project for only (about) $50!

;^P

Who knew these toys could be so much fun? You did!

R/ Robert

Got a little more done last night on the wings.

Still a ton left to do.....

Started to add some of the details inside the wing.

img_9791.jpg

img_9792.jpg

img_9793.jpg

img_9797.jpg

repeat x4

img_9801.jpg

test fit...I'm not sure if I want to attach the inside panels of each wing before or after painting.

img_9807.jpg

stated filling in the end of each wing so there will be some "meat on the bones" for attachment of the cannons later.

img_9817.jpg

working on the rear part of the wing detail

img_9828.jpg

img_9829.jpg

img_9834.jpg

img_9833.jpg

will just glue them on the backside of the wing

img_9836.jpg

started adding my previously made pieces to finally see SOME progress

img_9840.jpg

as I was looking at the referance model, I realized I needed to fill the tip of the wing.....

img_9845.jpg

....add styrene sheet,

img_9850.jpg

and cut it out to accept the end piece,

img_9861.jpg

here

img_9864.jpg

It turned out to be the easiest way to tackle that area. Thank god, because it seems like I've made some other areas extremely difficult....when I didn't have to. "Think McFly!"

img_9873.jpg

Anyway, checking the inside paneling

img_9877.jpg

and couldn't resist a quick "prop up" to get an idea of what it's going to be....

img_9881.jpg

Thanks for looking !

As always, comments and suggestions are more than welcome !

Pcoz

Thanks for the great comments guys !

It's definitely been a fun project.....and when I say fun, I mean stressful, maddening, frustrating, exhausting....lol. As you can see, I have completely abandoned my original "fix up" approach and it has turned into more of a scratch build. I really have zero experience in this area outside of my Scratch Built Mech Warrior, so I'm learning techniques as I go.

I just finished up the cannon mounts and I'm looking to completely finish out the cannons today.

I'd like to find something other than the wooden dowels, so maybe I'll hit Lowes today.

Thanks for checking out a grown man playing with toys ! More pic's tonight....

Pcoz

Quick update (1 of 2)

Had some more free time this weekend so I wanted to get as much done as possible.

started in on the cannons and wing details in that area.

img_9882.jpg

so cutting some plastic...

img_9886.jpg

took some rectangular tubing and chopped it up

img_9888.jpg

I'm not sure if I'll curve the bases or not similar to the reference pic's I've looked at...

img_9890.jpg

This whole project had kind of turned into a hodge podge of different reference photos but alas, I keep going. :facepalm

img_9894.jpg

drilled and ran rod through the wing and through the cannon for support and alignment. You'll also notice that there is not a HOLE in my finger....yet

img_9901.jpg

test fit and will probably keep these separate until final painting

img_9902.jpg

img_9906.jpg

working on the inside trim on the tip of the wing for more cannon support I guess...Sorry, I do not know all the technical terms for all the parts, lol

img_9910.jpg

img_9911.jpg

img_9912.jpg

img_9924.jpg

used the modge podge method to install my "rivets"

img_9926.jpg

divided up the cannons and will start detailing them next.

img_9935.jpg

img_9936.jpg

some quick set up pic's to make me feel better and on to the next area !

img_9932.jpg

Thanks for checking it out ! More coming tonight....

Suggestions/Comments are welcome !

Pcoz

It looks so cool! I saw this today and thought I would share as I had me seen it before. My guess is this may be the prototype (blue leader) as it looks like it is in the process of scratch building as the others where cast parts.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back