***COMPLETED**** Pcoz's Hasbro Hero Star Wars X-Wing Conversion

Re: Pcoz's Hasbro Hero Star Wars X-Wing Conversion

Nice going Pcoz!
These posts make me want to get back mine...screw the 1:1 X-wing project.

Now where did I put those engine casts? :p

Nice going Pcoz!
These posts make me want to get back mine...screw the 1:1 X-wing project.

Now where did I put those engine casts? :p

Lol, get back at it ! Sometimes we need some inspiration to get the juices flowing again.....I definitely get mine from you guys ! We should have 5 or 6 of these going at once !

Agreed, If we had multiple RPF members working on different parts of said X-wing we could trade parts.
Someone should do a cockpit.

hello peeps, quick update....

I finally have a day with NOTHING planned !

I hope to make some significant progress today

Anyway, here are some some pics of the build now that my styrene order came in and I'm broadening my model-making horizons....next I'd like to try some molds. As you'll see as I move forward, it would have saved me a ton of time repeating builds X4.

20160203_153806_002.jpg

Here is my first order and I've already figured out what I need to order more of and what I'll probably never use.

IMG_9445.JPG

sized and rough cut

IMG_9446.JPG

rough shaping

IMG_9447.JPG

checking the fit

IMG_9448.JPG

beveled edge with x-acto and dremel

IMG_9449.JPG

these angles came in handy

IMG_9450.JPG

IMG_9452.JPG

IMG_9454.JPG

working out the details

IMG_9456.JPG

cheap plastic furniture screw covers will do the job

IMG_9457.JPG

IMG_9459.JPG

IMG_9460.JPG

IMG_9461.JPG

IMG_9463.JPG

IMG_9464.JPG

cut off the ends of small zip ties

IMG_9466.JPG

IMG_9468.JPG

1/2 round rod helps a bunch too...

IMG_9471.JPG

IMG_9472.JPG

IMG_9473.JPG

Welp, that's it for now. As you can see, I really need to learn how to make 1 and mold each one so I don't have to repeat the process over and over.

Thanks for looking...

More to come soon

Pcoz

ok, here's the mess so far.....

IMG_9476.JPG

IMG_9477.JPG

moved back to the engines to try and get them close to being finished and then move to the wings

IMG_9479.JPG

cut styrene sheets to size

IMG_9480.JPG

matching them up and cutting

IMG_9481.JPG

Since my reference is the large 4' model, I'm keeping it in tune with that....or something close.

IMG_9484.JPG

IMG_9485.JPG

IMG_9487.JPG

glued to the pvc

IMG_9491.JPG

notching out the ends...

IMG_9492.JPG

happened to be in Loews today and found a few parts that may help

IMG_9494.JPG

this lock washer had the size and correct number of tabs so I thought I'd give it a try

IMG_9495.JPG

lining them up

IMG_9497.JPG

kinda worked, we'll see

IMG_9498.JPG

I haven't decided if I'll use this, but it looks pretty cool. If my LED's are behind this, it may not emit enough light. I'll tackle that later

IMG_9501.JPG

trimmed to fit

IMG_9502.JPG

checking the look...

Ok, gotta run, but I'm going to try and power through this project, so....Back Soon !

Oh Yeah, can anyone point me in the right direction for molds, casting materials I may need ? I'm almost done with the trim on one engine and I dread having to repeat it 3 more times....Thanks!

Pcoz

Pcoz, you could always use your metal perf'ed disk as a 'mask' for a clear disk... so you'd have the 'holes' painted black, letting the light through the rest...

R/ Robert

Pcoz, you could always use your metal perf'ed disk as a 'mask' for a clear disk... so you'd have the 'holes' painted black, letting the light through the rest...

R/ Robert

That's a great idea, I never thought of that. I also have plenty of plexiglass laying around too... that might give it a really good, deep look about it.

quick update...

still working on the engines.

since I haven't ordered any mold making materials yet, I thought I'f just power through making this foursome.

IMG_9537.JPG

half round styrene

IMG_9538.JPG

zip tie heads and wire

IMG_9540.JPG

duplicating x4

IMG_9543.JPG

used a super thin sheet of styrene to hold my details together

IMG_9545.JPG

filling in the pattern

IMG_9546.JPG

again, I WILL be making molds for anything else I need multiples of....

IMG_9547.JPG

IMG_9548.JPG

IMG_9551.JPG

cutting away most of the sheet and then gluing to the details to the engines

IMG_9554.JPG

IMG_9556.JPG

IMG_9557.JPG

adding some more details

IMG_9558.JPG

IMG_9561.JPG

IMG_9565.JPG

IMG_9566.JPG

starting to come together....

IMG_9568.JPG

IMG_9572.JPG

IMG_9575.JPG

now that I'm getting a little more comfortable with this process, I'm much quicker

IMG_9578.JPG

again, using same technique

IMG_9582.JPG

wide shot of my mess

IMG_9583.JPG

IMG_9585.JPG

cut round tubing in half

IMG_9590.JPG

used small round rod for "clamps"

Oops, hit my picture limit...I'll throw a few more up in a few

engines con't....

IMG_9591.JPG

IMG_9596.JPG

IMG_9598.JPG

IMG_9601.JPG

IMG_9605.JPG

IMG_9606.JPG

IMG_9607.JPG

IMG_9610.JPG

IMG_9611.JPG

ready for some filling and sanding.

ok, this is where I'm at right now. I tend to jump around from one area to another, so my plan is to stick to the engines, then the wings, then completely redo the cannons, work on the cockpit, led's....man, what the heck did I get myself into?

Anyway, thanks for looking

Pcoz

That's some pretty cool scratch built details.
Thanks....I could probably cut my pic's in half, lol ! I know when I'm checking out all the scratch built threads here, I love to see each progression. There's some crazy talent here on the RPF.

Hello fellow RPFers....

Back with another update.

I'm also trying to reduce the size of my pics so one can casually scroll down without having to open each pic in a new window or the RPF pop up viewer.

Let's see if this works

img_9612.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

nope....aahhhh !

Well, I'll be back later once I figure this out....

Pcoz

I'm trying to get the picture to fill the dialogue box instead of the "thumbnail" that opens a new window. It's driving me crazy !

Reducing the size of the pictures helps it load faster in the pop up window, but not exactly what I was shooting for overall....

Oh well, I'll be back at it tonight with a big update

800x600 looks pretty good on my screen. However, one drawback to having the attachments 'full size' in post is that each page of the thread will take longer to load since it is loading up all the pix on that page, not just the thumbnails. I've been using 1500 x whatever as a standard sizing for my images (plus cropped to remove extraneous data) but that is perhaps a little too big. Depends on what you're attempting to display, of course. For closeups like the above, your size seems spot on.

Regards, Robert

800x600 looks pretty good on my screen. However, one drawback to having the attachments 'full size' in post is that each page of the thread will take longer to load since it is loading up all the pix on that page, not just the thumbnails. I've been using 1500 x whatever as a standard sizing for my images (plus cropped to remove extraneous data) but that is perhaps a little too big. Depends on what you're attempting to display, of course. For closeups like the above, your size seems spot on.

Regards, Robert

Thanks for your input Robert.... I think I will take your advice and just go with the 800x600 and let it rip. They load so much faster ! I'm heading home as we speak to put the next update on.

Ok, here we go....

I swear the more I get into this, the more I cut away and rebuild from scratch.

So, looking at the lack of accurate detail in these areas, I chose to cut them off....

img_9613.jpg

first the small raised area...

img_9615.jpg

....then just the whole end and will start over. More on that later

img_9616.jpg

I did buy a bunch of styrene sheets, but I definitely overestimated the larger thicknesses and didn't buy enough of the .5 mm or .8 mm which would have been great for the wings...and since I had already grabbed a sign from Lowes, I'll just it for the undersides of each wing and then I'll use my styrene for the tops. My 2nd order will be much more accurate of the sizes I'll need for future use, but still learning.

img_9617.jpg

Anyway, cut out the wings...

img_9619.jpg

followed the pattern on the 4' model I've been using as reference.

img_9621.jpg

img_9623.jpg

img_9627.jpg

test fit

img_9632.jpg

img_9637.jpg

img_9639.jpg

img_9642.jpg

scribing the lines

img_9645.jpg

img_9648.jpg

not sure if you can see this well, but the depth turned out pretty decent and once painted, will be more pronounced

img_9654.jpg

img_9656.jpg

img_9657.jpg

ok, back to rebuilding these areas next to the intakes

img_9659.jpg

img_9660.jpg

img_9664.jpg

changing a few details inside the intakes to make it a little more screen accurate.

img_9669.jpg

I'm not looking to be 100% screen accurate, but I definitely want to improve the entire look of this x-wing.

img_9668.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Pcoz

I have never noticed the little post on the inside of the engine. Now I see it in my ref pictures. I'm planing on leaving 1 post out like on the original prototype.
image.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back