The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

"Chunks of meat" eh? Funny cause I've always looked at that gray casting of the back wall and felt like taking a bite out of it! Is that weird? Lol!

Dave, those are some kickass stories! Write a book bro, I would seriously buy it! I'm sure you've got all sorts of cool photos lying around!

And yes, I remember the VH of S. I still have my original trilogy on VHS.....Lucas edit free, I might add. Probably the best format I own of it still. But that's a touchy subject for another thread, I'm sure!

Joe

Meat chunk innards are go!
13055521_10154165960798156_2550013766462228244_n.jpg

Ok. Got a little problem: I had shapeways working on two of nacelle core v2. Since it was one file, I assumed that it was either left or right and it didn't matter. Now I see there are a starboard and port nacelle in the folder too. Can anyone tell me why there's a v2 file? Should I have the others printed instead?

If I'm fast, I might be able to stop them from printing the wrong ones.

That is a GORGEOUS print Dave! I am SO excited to have the chance at purchasing a cast of that.

I'm also excited to see in the future if anyone comes up with some parts maps for these beauties. I have found a few parts across each Y, but it's funny how little it adds up as there are so many donors to such a great ship! And somehow I have been finding the Bill George Y to be my favorite of them.

I've had the Chronicles book for a bit now and decided to check out the Y-Wing page it had. Realized I didn't find a nice version of the Tiger Sprocket image online like there is in the book so I scanned the page on my scanners highest setting. Here's the link to download the image from my Google Drive. It seems there is no virus check for the download, but yes the image is 67 MB. I used zero image compression and the image came out as 10200x13200 so it's a giant image for anyone interested or who doesn't have the Chronicles book for themselves. I can remove the link if too many people are wary to trust such a large single image download file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0K9UxuJWuO0WnAya2xFRExucFk/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Okay, I will reiterate what I said a while back... I am not producing a complete kit. Completing the model will require scratch building. I am sharing the files I use to create 3D printed parts that people can print themselves or have printed at someplace like Shapeways, and will be selling a limited number of other components. As of right now I will be offering castings of the forward fuselage with canopy and the L'eggs engine parts. That's it. If I end up molding or laser cutting some parts that would be difficult for others to make on their own I may offer those as well, but as of now that is an unknown. There has been mention of others offering sets of kit part castings to detail out the Y but I have no involvement in that what so ever. I do not have the time to do that. I hope such sets are offered, it's obvious there's a big demand (and I want a set too!).

I went Open Source with this project for a couple of reasons, the first being that it seemed a shame to put so much work into something for only a single version to exist. The second was to help others that wanted a Y to get over the hurtle of creating the basic fuselage and to encourage a resurgence of scratch building. The overwhelming interest in this project is allowing for the 3D printing of patterns for the forward fuselage ($$$) and offering castings. Something that would not have been feasible had only 10 or 12 people been on board.

Also in the spirit of Open Source, I would love it if someone were to produce and sell a set of cockpit interior castings including a pilot figure. I would be happy to collaborate with such an effort in the form of providing geometry for the space inside my fuselage, I also have geometry for a pretty cool ejector seat.

Also in the spirit of Open Source, I would love it if someone were to produce and sell a set of cockpit interior castings including a pilot figure. I would be happy to collaborate with such an effort in the form of providing geometry for the space inside my fuselage, I also have geometry for a pretty cool ejector seat.

Does it has to be Solid Modeling or OBJ can work?

As is typical for SketchUp models they are usually crap when it comes to 3D printing. Often they have been extracted from video game engines and have low polygon counts and are nowhere near watertight. Here's what that Rebel Pilot model actually looks like:

It might make a fair starting point for a digital sculpt but is going to take a lot of work.

As to solid model vs. obj., either will work for 3D printing as long as it's water tight and of a high enough polygon count (in the case of an OBJ). Something organic like the pilot would be easiest to model as an OBJ. Hard surfaces like the cockpit, I'm partial to surface models.

If I were to produce cockpit castings (and I not!) my approach would be to model out the basic geometry in the computer, 3D print it, attach the appropriate kit part castings, then mold and pressure cast production pieces. For the pilot figure I'd either digitally sculpt it in Z Brush, or sculpt it for real in clay or wax, then mold and cast.

Generally speaking, I try to avoid 3D printing larger parts in the ultra detail plastic except as patterns for molding. The parts tend to warp over time. So for something as large as the cockpit interior, I wouldn't want the 3D print to be the final part. It's also real expensive going that route. I'd bet the cockpit interior would cost somewhere around $150 to print, which is fine if you're going to mold and cast 30 plus of them, but a little steep for a one-off.

Okay, I will reiterate what I said a while back... I am not producing a complete kit. Completing the model will require scratch building. I am sharing the files I use to create 3D printed parts that people can print themselves or have printed at someplace like Shapeways, and will be selling a limited number of other components. As of right now I will be offering castings of the forward fuselage with canopy and the L'eggs engine parts. That's it. If I end up molding or laser cutting some parts that would be difficult for others to make on their own I may offer those as well, but as of now that is an unknown. There has been mention of others offering sets of kit part castings to detail out the Y but I have no involvement in that what so ever. I do not have the time to do that. I hope such sets are offered, it's obvious there's a big demand (and I want a set too!).

I went Open Source with this project for a couple of reasons, the first being that it seemed a shame to put so much work into something for only a single version to exist. The second was to help others that wanted a Y to get over the hurtle of creating the basic fuselage and to encourage a resurgence of scratch building. The overwhelming interest in this project is allowing for the 3D printing of patterns for the forward fuselage ($$$) and offering castings. Something that would not have been feasible had only 10 or 12 people been on board.

It's all good, as long as I can get stuff printed I'll be more than happy.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back