The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

OK Thanks guys. it's going to be the Alan Ladd version for me and probably take refs for the underside from the other models.

BTW, in the prop store set no5 you can see a circular punch out mark on the T-bar. I know there was some discussion about if it's metal or plastic, but this would suggest it is plastic to me.

There is also a hidden 11th image on that Prop Store page matter of fact!

If you click the link here: http://www.propstore.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/SW_ANH-YWing1.jpg

And adjust the '1' after 'ANH-YWing' from 1 through 11, those are all of the images that have been posted of it. 1-10 appear on the web page that Mike J. posted, but the 11th image is unseen. It is a really nice image of the Y from the side!
View attachment 615857
Looks like the neck is separating from the main fuselage. That's a shame.

"Blue R2 with Red Stripe" Y-Wing. The only Hero screen used ANH era Y that is still in the Archives. This one toured and was the first one I saw at the Smithsonian in the 1990s. It was also on tour when I was doing the reference at the Archives for MR, so this one is a show pony!
View attachment 615809

I think the picture actually shows TIE killer with the droid which now sits in the MOM Y...

I think the picture actually shows TIE killer with the droid which now sits in the MOM Y...

By George, I think he's on to something. I adjusted the color balance & such; check the markings on the nose now:

-MJ

Attachments

• y retouched.jpg
    y retouched.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 286
No problem! :) The MoM Y is easily identified by blue cockpit pod sides with a white/light grey stripe, which is unique among the ANH Ys (but copied by Bill George´s Y). My favourite Y. :love

I agree on the post production repaint on Tie Killer. I said the same thing and posted some comparison photos and hi-lighted the differences on one of the EFX/Niesen threads and there was a resounding silence. I thought I was the only one. I like the before version much better. I don't like the giant streak down the nose and the green panels. IMO.

The messier paint was absolutely applied before/during shooting. It can be seen on film.

Craig

Well fellas if you really want to get "technical" the hero shot of the 2 Y's in the trench do not have any R2's in them at all. The gold leader paint job was done as the model is today.. the Black stripe on the nose can be seen on Gold Leader in the trench run... I was told by one of the artist that it has been un touched since it was removed from the studio after ANH. They also went on to say areas that were causing bad light reflections need to be fixed on stage... so the put a black streak or dulled it down in some way. The Gold Leader is the Y in the foreground.
goldleader.JPG
Also the green was on the original Gold Leader and on screen. This has been confirmed by the guy who painted it there. Its the same green that showed up on x-wings as well. Also he sad when many of the pre shoot photographs were taken the models were dirtied down even more.. so just because you find a picture with less detail doesn't make it cannon for the actual way the model looked on screen. Anyhow just
my 2 cents on the Gold Leader paint "it was done after filming comments" love the discussion and great job everyone involved!

Attachments

• PDVD_005.BMP
    1,012.6 KB · Views: 218
  • goldleader.JPG
    goldleader.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
After years and years of shooting all types of models on stage I can tell you that they would get painted and touched up almost on a shot by shot basis. Typically you'll do a bunch of exposure and lighting tests to see how the models looks on film, then alter the paint as required. Most often, dirtying a model down to kill hot spots. Sometimes, if you were lucky, there was a "model wrangler" on stage that could do it with care. Most often a (non-modelmaker) member of the stage crew would grab a spray can of whatever was handy and shoot it on the model. "Streaks 'n' Tips" which is basically spray on hair coloring was very popular as it would dry almost instantly and (at least in theory) be removable.

After years and years of shooting all types of models on stage I can tell you that they would get painted and touched up almost on a shot by shot basis. Typically you'll do a bunch of exposure and lighting tests to see how the models looks on film, then alter the paint as required. Most often, dirtying a model down to kill hot spots. Sometimes, if you were lucky, there was a "model wrangler" on stage that could do it with care. Most often a (non-modelmaker) member of the stage crew would grab a spray can of whatever was handy and shoot it on the model. "Streaks 'n' Tips" which is basically spray on hair coloring was very popular as it would dry almost instantly and (at least in theory) be removable.

Fascinating.

Looking through an old thread I found an image I have a question about, originally image posted by MonsieurTox:

yunknown7_zpsfb6cbe0c.jpg

This appears to be a fully detailed backside of a cockpit? Which of the filming models was this much detail included on. And with this much detail there, how was the cockpit attached to the main body of the Y? I feel like a read somewhere else that some cockpits were made removable for ease of filming, but was just curious.

they cut a huge notch out on some of the models but others they left it whole.. What I have found the guys made these fully assembled detail plates then used them to kitbash everything. Hell the part shown is all over the Low altitude tiles. They had no problem cutting it to make things fit. Sometimes very roughly..

As much as we hold the original models in such high regard, believe me, back in the day, they were just "chunks of meat on a stick". All that mattered was getting the shot, quickly. Which if you think about the cost per day of a shooting stage and crew, it makes sense. Back in the good old pre-digital days you basically got one shot per day. You would set all the lights, blue-screen (back in those days they were "transmission" blue screens, (translucent screen material backlit by solid walls of fluorescent tube fixtures. A royal PITA to use!), flags, etc. then you'd program a motion control shot which could be recorded on special 1 or 2 frame per second VHS tape machines (VHS... anybody remember those?!) Typically you'd be matching a move to a previously filmed background plate. The VHS playback deck (black and white video only) could DX (double expose) the motion control model shot with the back ground plate to see how they lined up. But sometimes we would literally put a freeze frame of the background plate up on the monitor, trace key elements of the plate on the monitor screen with a grease pencil, then line up the model to that. Really low tech!

Once everything was set, programmed and checked filming could begin. A typical motion control model shot would be composed of several passes, a beauty pass, basically the model with the overall lighting, then a pass of only the practical lights built into the models (engine glows, running lights, cockpit glows, windows, etc. Sometime these practical lights required several passes, one per type of light so they could be balanced in the composite, especially for things like laser blasts from on-board guns etc., then a separate blue screen pass with no lights on the model (it was easier to extract a matte from a separate pass), and often a couple of other specialty passes. At exposure rates of one to several seconds per frame, all this could take hours! Then pack the film off to the lab for overnight processing (hoping to make the 11pm cut-off). Since you wouldn't know if the shot was good until you screened the dailies the next day everything was left "hot". Which means "You Touch, You Die!" The following morning you would get to screen the dailies of the shot, if all went well, move on to the next set up, if not, make adjustments and do it all again.

God I miss it!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back