Making eyes

toxicvenom

Hi
I want to get into making realistic eyes.
But want to do it the correct way. .
Just want some info on resins .
I have used cold cast resins but not
Had good results ..I want to use dental
Resin but want to know the product brands
To use as there are so many types.. any advice
Would be appreciated and anyone with quality
Eye molds for sale or links I have seen the
Kenstools molds but wondered if anyone into
This art has anything to get me doing it the right way
I want a hobby for when I take early retirement and
Want to do it right from the start without dabbling in
Guess work....

+1 on the Fourth Seal Studios kit that MPFX started carrying. I've had my eye (no pun) on those for quite some time; haven't been able to find the time get one and try it out though.

The only thing I don't like about the fourth seal eye kits is the resin plate. I prefer aluminum plates. I'm sure the results will be very similar if not identical, but thought I'd point it out anyways. I assume if you're buying a kit you're not in a position to make your own aluminum plates.

I love the "Jet" products that Lang Dental sells. Always works phenomenally, although I've only used it for teeth, not eyes.

I have access to lathes and have many contacts that could make me what ever I need with reference to making aluminium plates it's finding the best resin here in the UK in sizes to try that I want to find info on may visit my local denture makers and see if I can pick there brains

From what I have learnt over the years is once you get help in perfecting the method you must then not tell anyone else how to do it and act like you're the man.

I'm pretty sure that's the way it works.

Thanks piehead......the clear cold cure resin, do you add clear powder with the liquid for the clear layer?
also the clear poly optic 1411 does it allow polishing without the heat affecting the resin

The only thing I don't like about the fourth seal eye kits is the resin plate. I prefer aluminum plates. I'm sure the results will be very similar if not identical, but thought I'd point it out anyways.

as someone who has used the fourth seal eye kits, I can tell you that the aluminum filled resin plates work great, especially with their molds. Also replacements are only 5 bucks.

yeah just add the monomer to the polymer powder until its syrupy and put in the mould. as i said though to get the best results use a small pressure pot so you get totaly bubble free casts. As for the poly optic , it can be polished no problem. just dont go too fast and use some pumice and plenty of water.

Spoke to Mouldlife tech guy today very helpful , but he does not use dental resins only the poly optic 1411 and 1412 the 12 is more heat resistant when polishing.
also spoke to Mr dental and they said the heat cure is more water clear than the cold cure which he said was a more yellow ivory clear ??
I dont want to go down the heated pressure pot way as mouldlife says they can be dangerous and I would rather use the small red cold hand operated
pot.. what cold cure dental clear have you used piehead? and is it ivory clear, I spoke to my mate who said he knows a customer of his that repairs dentures
may ask him for some advise of heat cured dental before I go down that route.

I have sort of a dumb question: when do you put your poured piece into the pressure pot? While it's still liquid? Doesn't it spill out into the water?
After it's set? If you put it in after it's set, how does it get the air bubbles out?

I have sort of a dumb question: when do you put your poured piece into the pressure pot? While it's still liquid? Doesn't it spill out into the water?
After it's set? If you put it in after it's set, how does it get the air bubbles out?

You mix the acrylic until its like a syrupy consistency then you pour it into the mold. Then after inserting the inner eye form into the filled mold you pour a small bit more of the acrylic on the back of the excess holes on the plate to create a reservoir of acrylic for the eye mold to draw from.This way you dont get air pockets on the eye. Then immediately put it into the pressure pot and pressurise to 25-30lbs for about 20 to 25 minutes.
Thats how i do it anyway and it works fine. Also a high shore silicone eye plate is easier to clean each time than an aluminium or resin one. Mine are made from Transil 40.

Thanks Xtc, I appreciate your tips.

I'm using a silcone mold also, that I made with 2-part silicone putty over a large, round glass perfume stopper. I have a small Dental hydraulic pressure pot, so it I'm not sure if its the same as a regualr pressure pot, but I might give this a try in the next few days to experiment.

Thanks again!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back