Star Wars Rebels Ghost Model

tbody

Hi, there guys.
This is going to be my first build thread, so I'm really excited about it.
This time is going to be the Ghost, from the new Star Wars animated series.
For those of you who don't know it, this is the ship:

Ghost_Concept_Art.jpg

I already have been working on the blueprints and a basic 3D model.
It helps me understand better the shape of the object.

So, I'm really good to go, except I haven't decided yet on the scale.
According to the Wookiepedia the dimensions are the following:
Length: 43.9 meters
Width: 34.2 meters
Height/depth : 14.5 meters

I though 1:100 was a reasonable size, not too big, not too small.
But apparently it's not a very common scale.

My second option is going for a more popular scale 1:72.
That is a little bit bigger, but I can handle that, no more.

So, what's your opinion on scale.
Does it matter that much going for a popular scale?
I would really love to make a run of it eventually, so I want it to be of people's taste.

Let me know what you think of it.
I'm open to any suggestions.

Best!

Last edited:
1:72 is a common aircraft scale, and IIRC some of the official plastic Star Wars models have been released at that size (Ban Dai X's, Y's and TIEs. And a couple of the Fine Molds kits as well, IIRC). The other alternative is 1:144, which is less common, I think, but there are still a few kits out there, plus the F-Toys 'trading kits.'

In your case, I think cost will be the deciding factor, as it likely will be for purchasers of a hypothetical kit.

Length = ~ 44m IRL, 61cm if 1/72, 44cm at 1/100, and 30cm if 1/144. Assuming I did my math correctly.

-MJ

1/48 scale gives an approx. 36 inches length. Another wall decoration!

In lieu of any hypothetical kit, a nice set of plans would be a great help for others going for a build.

Regards, Robert

If your going for a run, then I think it's best to stick to an established scale. As other have mentioned, 1/144 seems to be the best match. You might also get some interest at the 1/257 scale (the scale of the X-wing game miniatures) and 1/350

at 1/72 it would be about 20" (I haven't done the math) pretty decent.

As you design it - keep in mind that you might want to cast it and offer it out... I know a few people who'd be interested... myself included :)

Jedi Dade

If you decide to produce a kit, make it either 1/72 or 1/144. People like consitent scales, and there´s plenty of smaller SW ships in both those scales. I´d like to have a 1/72 model of this ship, but it would be quite expensive.

On the most recent Rebels episode they shows the ghost docked with a rebel transport/blockade runner and very close to some A-wings fo ra good sense of scale.

I was surprised how large the Ghost was or actually, how small the blockade runners is

Scale is all relative (ha, I kill myself...) Sorry, sometimes the funny bone takes over...

Saw on the other Ghost thread a link to a Shapeways gaming piece, so that is covered...
R/ Robert

On the most recent Rebels episode they shows the ghost docked with a rebel transport/blockade runner and very close to some A-wings fo ra good sense of scale.

I was surprised how large the Ghost was or actually, how small the blockade runners is
I still believe that the blockade runner is not nearly as big as we all think it is.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Hello, everyone.
Thanks a lot for your comments and suggestions.

I've decided to do it in a 1:72 scale.
That will give it a total length of 60.9cm / 24in.
With that set, I started preparing the templates to cut.

I used a 3d model to render some views.

Untitled-2.png

Then I traced the renders in Adobe Illustrator,
that gives me a vector file for the laser cutter.

Untitled-1.png

Not that much to show you for the moment.
I think the MDF will be ready on Tuesday.
So next week the actual building will begin.
Can't wait to finally get my hands on it.

Bye!

TBody, might you be able to share any developed 3-view (or multiple view) drawings of your Ghost interpretation? I'd like to give a go at putting together a model from styrene sheet. I was thinking 1/350 scale to go with some other 'ships' I have already...

Thanks for sharing your process, it looks to be great fun!
Regards, Robert

Any chance you would be willing to make the AI vector file avalible? 2 feet sounds like a perfect size for my collection! My boys and I are really enjoying this show and they would think it's so cool to have the Ghost hanging in the shop.

I was excited when I saw this. I have plans to make one of these at 1/72, but who knows when that'll happen? I still have a few projects ahead of it. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I love that ship! :) (I'm really surprised they haven't come out with a model kit by now)

I've thought that it'd be fun to do a 1/144. I've recently decided that's a scale I'd be interested in collecting.
1' long seems reasonable to me. Granted, I might not ever get to it, I've had a lot of ideas that never leave the planning stage!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back