FINISHED! Ckings 1/38 scale TIE FIGHTER

Re: BUILD THREAD Ckings 3-D Printed 1/38 scale TIE FIGHTER

OK, it's getting REALLY close now! Time do paint the details. I exclusively use Tamiyas masking tape for these kind of jobs, it can't be beaten!

But the price sure can so for the general blocking...standard blue stuff.

Ripping of the tape!

The canopy also receive it's proper color. I freestyled a mixture from different Tamiya paints that I thought looked good.

Next up, the decals! Chris provided a most excellent decal sheet printed by JBOT i believe. For water slides I work after a fool proof technique that I learnt during my 1:35 airplane days. First everything is clear coated, then the decals are applied using both Mirco Set and Micro Sol. When dry they are locked down with another clear coat. Future floor polished can be used for this but I just went with Tamiyas clear this time. I had some Awesome pictures of the Original ILM "Vader Wingman" model that I used for placement reference.

Moving a long with more clear coats! This time it's time for the final dull coat. Yes, the wings needed to be masked again to protect the black which has to keep it's nice sheen. Luckily I was able to use the old masks again. That probably saved me a good day of masking work!

When I dull coat a model like this I use different mixtures/ratios of Tamiya clear mixed with flat base. I try to get different tones and sheens and not putting it on to uniform. IMO this brings more life to the model. After it's completely dry I buff and polish the surface with Q-tips and a piece of cloth from an old Swedish military uniform (the fabric in that is just perfect). This stage I call the rubb and buff face and it's pure magic! I ALWAYS to this to my models and I really think it helps blending everything together. OMO, this stage takes away the toy like look a model easily get.

I would never use washes on a TIE but the rubbing weathering helps it get closer to what the well handled ILM models looked like. This a reference pic I used for this approach. It really demonstrates that the real TIE's showed signs of constantly being handled.

More shots of the finished hull dulled and polished.

And finally some in different lighting to show off the final finish/sheen that was achieved with the rubb and buff technique. Please note that the gentle rubbing also helps reveal the underlaying black primer in a very nice and subtle way.

Where almost there! Please stay tuned for the final assembly!

Steve.

WOW!
This looks PHENOMENAL Steve! Truly awe inspiring work. You are extremely talented and the end result has far surpassed what I had dreamed about for this project. I can't wait to see the final assembled photos - with the cockpit lights on too. FANTASTIC!

I am really impressed with that subtle weathering. I see what you mean - it really adds to the finished effect and makes it look like the filming miniatures. Brilliant!

The decal sheet artwork was done by moffeaton and jbot scaled them down for me to the correct size. His decal sheets are extremely professional and superb quality. Highly recommended!

Cheers,

Chris

ck, how does it feel to have the sweetest Tie on therpf? This thing is amazing. Steve killed it, the craftsmanship, attention to detail... and the decals really add to that finished look. Certainly a beautiful build by some RPF allstars, lol. If you guys ever do probono work I have a Star destroyer made by MPC that needs some serious lovin'! =P In all seriousness tho, this is one perfect Tie. Job well done!

Final assembly is going to be insane. ck, how are you displaying her?

Ah, Chris I forgot that Jason designed these incredible decals, outstanding work. The print quality by JBOT is also fantastic! I've seen a lot of water slides during my days and they are right up there with the best aircraft aftermarket stuff I've used.

SpamDaddy, thanks a lot dude! It means a lot. Be sure to come back for the final beauty shots! I had that star destroyer as well. I picked up the fancy fiber optics version modded the heck out of it (seem to remember it had problems with the side walls being to hight) but don't remember ever finishing it. I have no idea where it is now tough. You hardly ever see them these days either.

Steve.

Ah, Chris I forgot that Jason designed these incredible decals, outstanding work. The print quality by JBOT is also fantastic! I've seen a lot of water slides during my days and they are right up there with the best aircraft aftermarket stuff I've used.

SpamDaddy, thanks a lot dude! It means a lot. Be sure to come back for the final beauty shots! I had that star destroyer as well. I picked up the fancy fiber optics version modded the heck out of it (seem to remember it had problems with the side walls being to hight) but don't remember ever finishing it. I have no idea where it is now tough. You hardly ever see them these days either.

Steve.

I would love to see how your SD came out, Steve. I had to go with the basic MPC kit wheich I am sure is going to need MAJOR help. The only kit I found with the fiber optics that was sealed went for $180. I'm not paying that for ANY MOC kit, lol. I got the basic version for about $33. As far as those beauty shots you can bet I won't miss'em brother! Do you have anything on tap for the next project?

Beautiful! It's amazing at the number of small decals are on this model (none seen on the screen, of course). Keep up the great work.

Hoberg, thanks man! SpamDaddy, Sadly I hardly ever get any time to work on my personal projects these days. I guess that's the face my life is in right now. Should time be available I have a stash of Studio Scale models, Fine Mold and Bandai kits, Props and helmets that I've acquired here thru the years to last me a life time! I don't even know which project to pic! I probably would try to finish my SS TIE tough. That and give my MR AT-AT a much needed re-paint. Some day!!!

Now I'm off shooting Ckings TIE!

Steve.

Woohoo! Finally finished and ready to be documented ILM style! It's been a long and tedious build, my first involving 3-D printed parts. In all I really think it paid off resulting in a very unique model. Thanks Chris for giving me the opportunity to once again work on your projects! Picture time...

Who need a fancy studio. Perfect natural light in the kids room. Using nothing but crappy equipment, nobody will ever know...

Close up's

And finally the mandatory ILM comps!

Thanks for your interest!

Steve.

ABSOLUTELY JAW DROPPING!!!!!
Steve - this is a BEAUTIFUL piece of work and as ever, your photos are superb. WOW. I cannot wait to put this mode on display. It looks incredible.
Thank you SO much for all of your efforts and also a massive thanks to the other RPF members who made this a reality. It will look brilliant displayed next to my Kotobukiya X-Wing.

Cheers,

Chris

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back