Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them

I don't think it's been mentioned before but in The Case of Beasts book there's a few pics of some Newt fabric samples. I believe the middle fabric is probably the coat fabric before it was dyed? A natural creamy colour and a kind of lime green? 20161224_195033-01.jpeg

Just listed the hottopic coat online in size XL. It was way to big for me because I'm only 5"4 and the seamstress said she couldn't alter it. Drove out of town to an outlet to get it. I included upclose pics of the fabric. The color can look different depending on the lighting. Anyone interested I'll send you the link. Hottopic said they won't be making anymore on their twitter account. So I'm not selling it for a ridiculous price because I hope it'll help someone out who wants to dress up like Newt too. :)

Last edited:
Alright, does anyone know if any big retail chains in the US are selling any of the official Fantastic Beasts cosplay things? I put off buying stuff way too long and need a scarf for a convention in two weeks, but the one on Amazon is sold out. Would Hot Topic have any? Toys 'R' Us? Gamestop?

I don't think it's been mentioned before but in The Case of Beasts book there's a few pics of some Newt fabric samples. I believe the middle fabric is probably the coat fabric before it was dyed? A natural creamy colour and a kind of lime green?

Bingo. That's got to be it. Would explain a lot.

I've looked on all their websites. Looks like Misan doesn't sell via internet and I the Auzinger website doesn't seem to sell on their site either. Or my Google Translator doesn't work well since the site is in German.

Looking for Donegal Tweed online has been rather challenging and the few places I could find that actually sells Donegal Tweed, they want $60 - $80 per yard. I think I'd rather fly to the UK and buy it.

Also, can anyone ID the silver charm hanging from his pocket watch strap? The strap itself appears to be a vintage military Albert strap, which makes sense to me, since he was apparently in the war. That said, I was wondering if the charm was a real military do-dad, or if it was something found only in the wizarding world, if you take my meaning. :)

30795273003_4f8d79dab1_b.jpg

Finished my coat and vest. Not perfectly accurate (I changed a couple details intentionally, like the length of the tail of the coat since I didn't like it being so much longer, and the button toggle, since I was worried the button might easily fall out and get lost; and I settled for close-enough fabric since I lacked both the time and money to shop around for something perfect), but I'm very happy with the results.

VKsbmHI.jpgyomlXmX.jpgjFb5LwG.jpgwXr4FIN.jpg

20170111_123010.jpg
Here's the finished dye job on my boots, with the new laces as well. The color is a little warmer than I would've liked, but since I already had the dye on hand, I went for it. I also rubbed them down with some leather balm to bring up their sheen. It made a big improvement!

I can get the waistcoat fabric rewoven with a minimum order of 100 meters or so. They're still on vacation for the holidays but I'm in talks about it. What's the interest in helping to financing such a project, with presales of yardage and such?

This will likely apply to most of the fabrics, and definitely the coat fabric. I'm working to get as much rewoven as possible but I don't have the funds to do it all myself.

Did anyone find something about this little charm?107560d22d9558e1f54a80e78ccc90ec.jpg

I have no idea what it is and I'm thinking about making it myself maybe out of modeling clay..

And also any ideas on his bowtie? I just can't find a simular one..20161206_192156.png

Maybe someone can help me :)

@Ginny, I looked through the visual guide and some of the other movie books to see if they had anything on his charm...I thought it might be something WWI related from the wizarding world, since we know he served taking caring of dragons. Plus, the leather watch chain is a vintage military Albert chain. BUT, nothing. So I ended up 3D designing my own and making it into a medallion for the DRRB (Dragon Research and Restraint Bureau) that Newt works for later in life. :)

As for his bowtie, it's deep, deep midnight blue or purple with pinkish orange (or orangish pink) dotted pinstripe. I couldn't find anything either. I know @Indy Magnoli was seeing if there would be interest in them; Magnoli Clothiers make great ties.

fantastic beasts newt bowtie.jpg

EDIT: Whoops, correction, from this picture from TheGingerDoctor, the dotted pinstripes are much closer in color to the gold of his waistcoat:

IMG_3201.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
@graciefox Thank you so much for your reply, I also looked in all the books but couldn't find anything either. I blieve that he has a pocket watch in his vest and the charm is a sun with a bird (a martin maybe?) in the middle.
Are you selling a charm you made? That would be great, if not I'll try to make it out of clay or worbla maybe.
For the bowtie I think about looking for simular fabric and making it myself, if I find something I'll post it here :)

Edit: Urgh I already saw a close up of the shirt but no it reminds me again that I'll never find one like that xD

@Ginny I've thought about selling them complete with a watch strap - if I do I'll let you know! I'm hoping to have a picture of the finished thing soon. EDIT: I accidentally attached the wrong thumbnail and I'm not sure how to make it go away - the new version of the charm has only a small loop for the attachment, not that big old bar. :p Not sure how that happened.

I sewed my own bowtie too, just because I'm pressed for time before my next convention and needed one. But my sewing machine isn't capable of making wide enough dots. :/ So I'll probably remake it sometime down the road. It was pretty straight-forward though, since the bowtie is skinny - basically just a long rectangle!

Attachments

• pendant.png
    pendant.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Hi everyone! I just decided to do a Newt cosplay for an upcoming convention and super happy I found this forum. I was wondering if anyone know's what the suit jacket/pants material are. From the pictures I've seen from the movie costumes it looks like the jacket and pants are two different colors, and in some screen shots they look the same (of course the jacket is mostly hidden so it's kinda hard to tell). My thought was it was some kind of a tweed or wool blend.

My other question is if anyone has suggestions for patterns. I have one that might be good for the vest and pants (the vest needs adjusting though) and I did find a pattern somewhere for a coat that could work with alterations. I'm still learning on how to edit patterns so I'm a bit nervous on tackling this huge project..

ShelbyC13 Welcome! :)

I believe the suit jacket and pants were confirmed as Donegal tweed - that accounts for the different colored flecks you can see woven into it on close-ups. I've seen it by-the-yard a few places online, but it's pretty pricey. Because I agree with you that the browns of his jacket and pants don't match perfectly, I've actually just been scouring thrift stores and eBay for the different pieces and had some good luck there!

Pattern wise...I've seen a few people modify Simplicity 2896 for both the vest and the coat. I already had McCalls 7003 on hand, so that's what I'm using.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back