Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them

Here's a photo of the boots I bought online. I just hope they fit when they arrive! Not an exact match but I can make them work. :)

s-l1600.jpg

Going to need to add a bit of height to the top. Fingers crossed that these fit!!!

I'd say you're definitely right, they are not actual m-1943s. For one thing, the combat boots don't have a separate toe piece like his do. I wouldn't be surprised if they made (or at least modified) custom for the movie, but I'm no expert.

Yeah I've been looking them up and it's certainly not an exact match, but I may have found a pair of the combat boots that will be close enough for my taste. Either way I'm going to end up wearing them all the time. They're such gorgeous shoes.

Just noticed that his coat only has one button on the front... interesting design choice. I've been feeling a bit more tempted to cosplay him today. Might actually go for it if I'm able to find time to draft a pattern for the coat over Thanksgiving break this week.

How would you say the coloring is on the hot topic coat? I keep seeing different colorings for the coat in different picture but in the theater itself it looked like a very rich dark turquoise or teal. On the Hot Topic website itself the coat looks to be almost a navy. OhMyStarLord any answers you can give me?

Last edited by a moderator:
I own some boots like in the movie, but not combat boots, rather dress boots with these two buckles, but the color (red brown) is very similar to them...and I shortly thought he is wearing my boots...

View attachment 685729

Jealous... I spent all yesterday and some of today driving around to every shoestore I could trying to find some like that. What brand are they?

Also, Magnoli has come out with their version of Newt's coat: http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/newt-overcoat-overcoats-p-712.html

I think it looks quite nice, although the color seems a bit too blue and the back isn't pleated like it seems to be in the movie.

I think it looks quite nice, although the color seems a bit too blue and the back isn't pleated like it seems to be in the movie.

Color is tricky, but we can make it any color you like since they are made-to-order. Pretty sure the back is accurate... the picture probably isn't the best representation, but if you think our pattern needs some tweaking, please let me know and it can be revised, if necessary.

I'm oddly interested in his shoes, so I did some more digging for photos. Here's some that show some detail. I wonder if I could find a shoe maker to do a run of these...

Anyway, in the pics you can see that the boots are not actual WW2 combat boots, as Egon Spengler suspected. The design of the shoe, and the way the straps attach are very different.

cAjyjMd.jpg

i3lvzSd.jpg

BZ1xIoU.jpg

0DqirqR.jpg

8shV1yY.jpg

Color is tricky, but we can make it any color you like since they are made-to-order. Pretty sure the back is accurate... the picture probably isn't the best representation, but if you think our pattern needs some tweaking, please let me know and it can be revised, if necessary.

Hard to tell on the back, mostly because good pics of the back of his coat are harder to find, and because your website pics are a little small on the full-coat shots. Looks pretty good to me pattern-wise. I will say though, I'm fairly certain the movie coat isn't wool. I think I've read that it was cotton, and in these (giant) pics you can see the texture of the woven pattern. (open in a new tab to see full resolution)

eddie-redmayne-fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them.jpg

FB-00820.jpg

Fantastic-Beasts-and-Where-to-Find-Them-set1.jpg

I don't think it's cotton. I just saw it at the Arclight last night, it's very heavy fabric with a rough texture, and it doesn't wrinkle like cotton. Almost definitely a wool. There's not really a texture, but the diamond tweed weave is made from a dark teal and a forest green.

Also, the boots were custom. The shirt seems to be a jacquard woven linen in a light blue. The jacket and pants are both brown small weave Donegal tweed. The jacket is lighter in color than the pants and has yellow, blue, and white flecks. The pants have only white flecks. The vest is some kind of mustard and brown weave with a dark brown or black sort of hexagonal pattern running through it. (tiny hexes, like 1/16" tops.) It could be wool, or a silk/wool blend. He has a watch fob on a sewn leather strap.

Maybe I'm just remembering on the first page where another user said it was cotton. I found interviews with the designer saying it was fabric she had from a play long ago, which she dyed for this. I don't know how that works, since if you really zoom in, you can see that some threads are green and some are blue. Maybe it had different colors before and they picked up the dye differently.

I think the coat was originally white or off white and dyed petrol. Petrol is the name the costume designer used in the interview but she never said it was wool or cotton, but to me it looks like wool, but cotton would make sense for keeping the heat factor down under how studio lights. The vest, especially the front, looks like some kind of canvas material to me. The shirt doesn't really seem blueto me, but more of an off white and it has a pattern on it.

Newt back.jpgTo be fair, this is the only image I could really find of his back and it's hard to tell exactly what's going on with the coat. I am fairly sure that I remember the tail being pleated in the movie, but I can't be sure until I watch it again.

Trust me, I stared at the costume for a good half an hour, the shirt is light blue linen. There are some white threads in it, as linen is rarely a uniform color. The waistcoat has a similar weave to canvas, but it's closer to basket weave.

I don't know how she could have achieved the two very distinct different colors if she dyed it. The fibers look exactly the same, and I'm pretty sure it's wool. It's possible they could take the dye differently if they started as different colors, but neither of the colors is particularly dark and they're both pretty vibrant, not muddy. They don't look dyed at all.

The bottom of the coat is skirted, not pleated. It fans out below the waist, which causes it to drape into folds. It's gives the coat a flattering shape and also causes it to swing through the air if the actors spins.

I'm oddly interested in his shoes, so I did some more digging for photos. Here's some that show some detail. I wonder if I could find a shoe maker to do a run of these...

Anyway, in the pics you can see that the boots are not actual WW2 combat boots, as Egon Spengler suspected. The design of the shoe, and the way the straps attach are very different.
I agree. The shoes looks great. I want a pair for everyday use!

Glad I found this thread! Finding the perfect fabric for this coat is super difficult...
Did anyone else notice the back of the coat is a little bit longer than the front? //Oops didn't notice that this was mentioned before :D

The bottom of the coat is skirted, not pleated.
Thanks for pointing that out!

Last edited:
I don't know how she could have achieved the two very distinct different colors if she dyed it. The fibers look exactly the same, and I'm pretty sure it's wool. It's possible they could take the dye differently if they started as different colors, but neither of the colors is particularly dark and they're both pretty vibrant, not muddy. They don't look dyed at all.

There are clearly two different colors of the weave.
FXeYPZa.jpg
There's a greener color in square patterns. The rest is blue (/dark peacock/petrol). It's a woven fabric, but I agree it looks much more like wool than cotton.

The fact that it's dyed comes from the costume designer herself, so I'm going to assume that's true.

The bottom of the coat is skirted, not pleated. It fans out below the waist, which causes it to drape into folds. It's gives the coat a flattering shape and also causes it to swing through the air if the actors spins.

Ah, that's what I was thinking. I still don't know my sewing terminology very well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back