My X-Files Alien Stiletto

Drago

This is something I made early 2014, but never got around to actually showing it off.

Here is a short video of one of my X-Files stiletto replicas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMW0mY3IhkM

It has the design from the prop used in episode "Emily", and the one you see in the pictures on my site is based on the prop from episode "Two Fathers".

I also plan on making the one from episode "Talitha Cumi" sooner or later.

Hope you guys like it. :)

Thanks, sean. Even the X-Files prop master himself (Ken Hawryliw) said I did a great job, so I have to admit I'm very proud of this.

you should be. looks awesome! and I'm betting your going to get a few PM's from guys wanting one. can you give any details of the inner workings? a couple of other members here are working or have worked to achieve what you have done. but there are legality's about a full metal one. for selling I mean...

you should be. looks awesome! and I'm betting your going to get a few PM's from guys wanting one.
Heh, yeah, I already received tons of requests via E-Mail since I put photos of it out there.

can you give any details of the inner workings?
Custom build

a couple of other members here are working or have worked to achieve what you have done. but there are legality's about a full metal one. for selling I mean...
Although it can't be used as a real weapon in it's current state, it could be manipulated and transformed into a weapon with very little tweaking. Therefore it'd be impossible to ship this internationally. The other problem is of course that I don't have any license to sell something like this even if I wanted to. The only person I helped make one of these is a very good friend who is also a huge X-Files fan. He posts here on the RPF as "Terrasolo".

cool stuff. I would hope no one here would want one for an actual weapon.:lol and we have quite a few X file fans. so welcome aboard. :thumbsup and again great work!

I'm glad you all like it.

The interesting thing is that many people I talked to thought that there was only one stiletto on the show, when in fact there were at least four different ones. The differences are in the handle thickness and taper, the slot dimensions, the slot location, the button dimensions, the button location, the button "purpose" (pushing vs. sliding), the end caps, the blade hole (size, as well as chamfer/no chamfer), and of course the awl design (length, thickness, taper).

In order to get screen accuracy you have to pay attention to all the details, because it's simply not just a tube with a button.

FWIW, many people compare this to the "guardfather spike", when in fact that one is single action, and this one is double action.

Ah, mate, I'd just LOVE to have one of these!!! You can't ship internationally, but are you in the EU? In that case, you can ship to each other EU-country... And hey, I'm in a EU country :).

Nicely done video, but I'm pretty sure the spike activation/retraction is CGI.

Jason
Watch the spike portion at around :24. There's an odd wobble where the motion tracking couldn't quite match his move.

https://youtu.be/xMW0mY3IhkM?t=23

Overall it looks very convincing though.
I'm glad you like the video, and I'm sorry to disappoint you, although you may not believe it, I guarantee you there is no CGI involved. Absolutely none whatsoever. Ask "Terrasolo" who posts here. He has a very similar prop. I helped him create it.

The wobble you are referring to is not the result of any motion tracking. It is the result of a slight hand jerk. In that particular shot I am also standing with a light directly above me, so the light reflecting off the surface also might account for some sort of illusion.

This is not something you can easily do with CGI, or else they would've used CGI on The X-Files for the prop itself. Instead, they used an air hose up the actor's sleeve.

If I were to use CGI for this, I can't just composite a 2D awl into the video. I would have to create a full 3D model of the awl, and import it into the video. However, I wouldn't be able to do any "simple" motion tracking. I would have to scale the awl it as it moves further/closer to the camera, as well as change the surface of it depending on how the lighting would affect it.

So again, you can believe what you wish, but the only CGI is in my black oil video. :)

Looks fake to me as well. Regardless if it is or not, I really can't stand people who post things on the internet, and aren't willing to share how they did something.

ESPECIALLY in a DIY, prop forum.

Looks fake to me as well. Regardless if it is or not, I really can't stand people who post things on the internet, and aren't willing to share how they did something.

ESPECIALLY in a DIY, prop forum.

Not everyone here share's there ways of doing thing's. be It a painting Technic/machining process/mixture of something etc. and I abide by them wanting that kept to themselves. I'm going to trust this Is not fake until proven otherwise.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back