Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Re: New Star Trek Series (2017)

Speaking as one of the old 50 year guard, I'm hopeful that this nutrek, will end up like nucoke. Nobody who actually liked Coke, liked the new crap. So Coca Cola had to dump a gazillion gallons and go back to the original. Why can't we retcon the real timeline we live in, and just act like Jar Jar never made these movies. Don't get me wrong, I've watched both of the movies he made, and didn't hate them, in and of themselves. I just never think of them as Star Trek. I do the same thing with the SW Prequels and Nu BSG. Not horrible if you just watch them as stand alone films or TV. I do hope that these things die soon, so we can go back to the original spirit of Trek. But alas poor Yorik, with Hollywood stuck in perpetual PC mode, and pandering to every millennial desire, I could be waiting till the here after, LOL. No biggie, they're just movies or TV. There are bright spots out there in entertainment land. And I have my DVD and Blu-ray collections to keep me unbored.

Last edited:

When I say TV Audience I certainly mean the multi-generational Trek fans that watched the various series. Those are the people that would most likely tune in.
Oh, I know. My post really wasn't much more than an excuse to use that lame Kardashians/Cardassians comparison. ;)

Actually, I agree with you. I don't think the two reboot movies have generated a fanbase anywhere near the size of the doggedly loyal fanbase that has been watching Trek for the last 50 years; not yet, anyway. But I also believe what I wrote in post #179--Paramount is looking to propagate Star Trek's future, and they're pandering to audience members who are too young to remember, or care about, Trek's previous incarnations.

Oh, I know. My post really wasn't much more than an excuse to use that lame Kardashians/Cardassians comparison. ;)

Actually, I agree with you. I don't think the two reboot movies have generated a fanbase anywhere near the size of the doggedly loyal fanbase that has been watching Trek for the last 50 years; not yet, anyway. But I also believe what I wrote in post #179--Paramount is looking to propagate Star Trek's future, and they're pandering to audience members who are too young to remember, or care about, Trek's previous incarnations.

Maybe let the movies be the mass appeal drivel and TV can be for the true believers, thus they can milk both Trek teats, so to speak.

I fully think the vast majority of the TV audience couldn't care less about Star Trek. They want the Kardashians, not the Cardassians.

That being said, Paramount rebooted the franchise in an effort to create the next generation of fans, so it would make more sense for them to base this new series on the current incarnation rather than base it on Trek that existed before most of the new fans were born. You might even say it's logical.

Face it folks, Paramount no longer cares about those of us who have been watching Trek for the last 50 years; they're only interested in the people who will keep it going for the next 50 years.

So lets just create a reality tv show that happens to be set in the Trek 'verse?

Keeping up with the Cardassians - which follows Xhim Cardassian, a 30-something Klingon-metal musician and her wacky family :lol

Might actually be fun?

So lets just create a reality tv show that happens to be set in the Trek 'verse?

Keeping up with the Cardassians - which follows Xhim Cardassian, a 30-something Klingon-metal musician and her wacky family :lol

Might actually be fun?

A Star Trek sitcom would actually be funny. "Two and a Half Klingons". :D

Maybe let the movies be the mass appeal drivel and TV can be for the true believers, thus they can milk both Trek teats, so to speak.
That's not a bad idea, but I doubt Paramount would do it. I honestly think they believe their Trek audience isn't smart enough to figure out that one is based on pre-reboot Trek and the other is based on post-reboot Trek. I'm at the point where I don't care if it's "Classic Trek", "Reboot Trek", or "Even newer Trek--now with feathers!" I'd just like to see good Trek.

For everyone who thinks that this new Star Trek series will just be your average "run of the mill" bore fest even with the awesome talent involved, don't worry. They brought in Joe Menosky. This is a writer who REALLY took Star Trek into strange uncharted territory. Remember Darmok? That's his. And yes, so is Masks but he was on vacation when they were shooting it.

For everyone who thinks that this new Star Trek series will just be your average "run of the mill" bore fest even with the awesome talent involved, don't worry. They brought in Joe Menosky. This is a writer who REALLY took Star Trek into strange uncharted territory. Remember Darmok? That's his. And yes, so is Masks but he was on vacation when they were shooting it.

Did not remember Darmok, so I had to google it.
That was a good episode :)

5a179-darmok.jpg

Yeah it was a really good first contact story wasn't it? Quite a challenging one at that, for all the characters.

Uh oh, this may not be for me depending on what they mean by "graphic"....

Star Trek TV series to be more graphic, Bryan Fuller hints
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/23/star-trek

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh, I don't think that reads like "Let's Game of Thrones this biatch!" Imagine what DS9 could have been like on a service like this? They had to hold back a bit, I would think this allows more freedom like what we would see in a film where even Data says "Oh s#*t".

How come when a director says terms like 'gender blind', before a single frame is shot or cast, I'm thinking this is going to be more 'SJW' hollywood stuff?
I hope that's not what they turn modern star trek into.

And Swearing does NOT a star trek series make! Neither does nudity. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should.
I also don't want to see excessive gore and 'realistic' medbay scenes.

this does not bode well. New hollywood is not for me.

How come when a director says terms like 'gender blind', before a single frame is shot or cast, I'm thinking this is going to be more 'SJW' hollywood stuff?
Because you're the sort of person who got their panties in a knot over Rey being the hero of TFA. Get over it, it's 2016 (and this will be 2017) and the cast doesn't have to be straight, white, cis men. Geez, did you moan this much over Sisko, or Janeway?

I hope that's not what they turn modern star trek into.

Given that it's likely to be an original story I have no problem with them begin "gender blind", it just means (hopefully) that they don't have their minds already made up on the gender of the characters yet and they'll just case whomever they like best for a given role regardless if they're male or female. It's a much bigger deal if they were making some sort of sequel or reboot and saying that they'll be "gender blind", then I'd say that they're playing SJW and wanting to recast characters as the opposite sex just for the headlines.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back