Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-22%20at%202.03.40%20PM_zpsgxj4sthj.png

This is what I said years after years after years… but I can try to reason with other fans till I am blue in the face. This is why ENT makes me so angry… they wasted a potential and most of all, I am so sorry of Scott Bakula, because he's a favourite actor of mine.

True, but I discount that data point because it's from Enterprise.

I shall keep proselytizing so long as I have breath (or fingers, I suppose) that Enterprise -- despite the official stance from Paramount -- does not work as part of the Prime timeline. From technology to timeline to innumerable fiddly details, it gets more wrong vis a vis everything that came before than what it gets right. On the flip side, it perfectly fits as a prologue to JJ-Trek -- up to and including the model of this show's NX class on Admiral Marcus' credenza in Into Darkness. I am always happy to re-list all the things Enterprise got wrong, should anyone be foolish enough to ask/challenge. *chuckle* I lay Our Heroes' meddling in First Contact as the fission point.

--Jonah

Wordings, just wording… it's a sad excuse for being unimaginative and borrow terms from the real continuity and twist it to fit this stillborn.

The saucers may have looked similar, but the NX-01 was cramped inside. All of the technology might have looked more advanced, but was indeed less sophisticated than TOS. You have to understand that TOS is a product of it's time. They're not going to make any of these shows look like the bridge is made from boxes and flashing lights. Yes they did it on Enterprise during the mirror universe episode and although it was neat, it still looked dated.

As for the phasers, they were phase cannons which are different. Look them up in Memory Alpha online. There's a lot of variance on phasers, pulse cannons and pulse phase cannons even through TOS and it's movies let alone the other series. There's also a difference between the NX-01 photonic torpedo and a photon torpedo which again can be looked up on Memory Alpha online.

Human made transporters were invented in 2121 and the first operable transporter was developed before 2139. Since the NX-01 was launched in 2152 I don't see why it wouldn't have a transporter. They even said it was cleared for bio transport and none of the crew had ever done it prior to being on the NX-01. Again all of this is in Memory Alpha online.

The Shenzhou in the Discovery trailer looks like an advanced NX ship and could be older than we think. I'm hoping it is and that the Discovery and it's technology will mimic, but not replicate the TOS era. Enterprise is very much indeed cannon and even though there might be a couple hiccups, it's in the prime timeline.

This is what I said years after years after years… but I can try to reason with other fans till I am blue in the face. This is why ENT makes me so angry… they wasted a potential and most of all, I am so sorry of Scott Bakula, because he's a favourite actor of mine.

Yep. agreed.

Enterprise was a case of star trek loosing it's way. and it all started with Voyager.

Voyager should have been a generational ship. with LOTS of alien crew members and borg rescue-ees. we kind of got the latter a bit. but probably due to cast expenses, we never would have gotten the former.

Part of the reason to blame is the network for not allowing the show to explore it's full potential. the other half is berman and braga burnout.

Yep. agreed.

Enterprise was a case of star trek losing its way. and it all started with Voyager.

Voyager should have been a generational ship. with LOTS of alien crew members and borg rescue-ees. we kind of got the latter a bit. but probably due to cast expenses, we never would have gotten the former.

Part of the reason to blame is the network for not allowing the show to explore its full potential. the other half is Berman and Braga burnout.

Voyager didn't need to be a generational ship to work, they just needed to take more chances with the show and take fuller advantage of its premise. Instead of making it basically TNG light, they really should have played more with the base premise that they were in a distant part of the galaxy, far from any support from Starfleet, much further out than any Federation ship has been. They should have shown the Voyager's condition slowly deteriorate from episode to episode, put more emphasis on keeping the ship up and running. Yet in every episode and after every battle Voyager was always in pristine condition, they only paid lip service to them getting food supplies, and for being in a completely different quadrant of the galaxy that has had no contact with the Federation at all spare parts are rather easy to come by and remarkably compatible with Federation/Starfleet tech.

Voyager didn't need to be a generational ship to work, they just needed to take more chances with the show and take fuller advantage of its premise. Instead of making it basically TNG light, they really should have played more with the base premise that they were in a distant part of the galaxy, far from any support from Starfleet, much further out than any Federation ship has been. They should have shown the Voyager's condition slowly deteriorate from episode to episode, put more emphasis on keeping the ship up and running. Yet in every episode and after every battle Voyager was always in pristine condition, they only paid lip service to them getting food supplies, and for being in a completely different quadrant of the galaxy that has had no contact with the Federation at all spare parts are rather easy to come by and remarkably compatible with Federation/Starfleet tech.

isn't it nice where we can converse with each other without declaring war with challenges? :eek:)... reminds me of how forums used to be :). :facepalm:devil:$:lol

Yep, I totally agree. again, part of it i feel is series fatigue and part of it was network fatigue. IIRC, it was the network that wanted a safe TNG clone. upn was new at that point and they needed a success...

isn't it nice where we can converse with each other without declaring war with challenges? :eek:)... reminds me of how forums used to be :). :facepalm:devil:$:lol
Who has declared war on you? Seems a bit off topic to me. :angel

Before you go all AAAAAHHHHH I have a stalker! Please sympathize with me! I'm a victim!
I just wanted to shine a little light on your hypocrisy.
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=50505&page=4&p=4251185&viewfull=1#post4251185
it is a wonderful circle when people don't stick to using the ignore feature, isn't it?
Move along.....

Oh yea, this new Trek looks awful. I'll pass.

Last edited:
Wordings, just wording… it's a sad excuse for being unimaginative and borrow terms from the real continuity and twist it to fit this stillborn.

Nope, it's all in the prime timeline and is explained in the show, not just on a website. Now, tell me what the continuity driven show Enterprise did to you. It's okay, we're all here. :lol

Last edited:
...As much as I didn't like some of the details of ST: E, I found the series concept and thrust were 100% Trek. So what if production design and stuff were inconsistent with other series. It was a new expression of the idea, and so some artistic license was allowed...
This is the very reason Enterprise was the only spin-off series I liked--to me it had the same feel/vibe as the original series. To me The Next Generation always felt like a bunch of adults doing cosplay with a strong budget, and I could never truly take any of the characters or situations seriously as a result. What little I saw of Deep Space Nine and Voyager gave me the same feeling, so I didn't waste my time on them.

Hmm... This looks so different than what we have been used to see. And it looks even more like JJ Trek. I am curious to see if the new show fits well in the original "Kirkverse".

Maybe a bait and switch--is being played--and these are the Hur'q--or some early Klingons who worship them
I thought about that too. It would be a fantastic bit of fan-trolling, but for some reason I have a hard time picturing the production doing something that outlandish.

Based on a YT video I watched the other night, this production has so many problems it'll be a miracle if it is released at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Based on a YT video I watched the other night, this production has so many problems it'll be a miracle if it is released at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With the same Alex Kurtzman who has pretty much torpedoed Universal's Dark Universe films do to his unbelievable ineptness....I can't wait to see what happens. Guy is already on an apology tour about screwing up the Mummy.

With the same Alex Kurtzman who has pretty much torpedoed Universal's Dark Universe films do to his unbelievable ineptness....I can't wait to see what happens. Guy is already on an apology tour about screwing up the Mummy.

Sadly, The Mummy is thriving. Films driven by Ineptitude is alive and well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back