Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
That's quite the endorsement.

Coming from me, yes it is! :lol

And yep, McQuarrie lives. Or Ken Adam, I'm not sure who followed who with this design, which was apparently done for "Planet of the Titans," the unmade movie that was abandoned for Phase II the TV series and finally TMP the movie.

enttmpkenadams01.jpg

phaseIIprot.jpeg

phaseIIenterprise.jpg

Even the asteroid drydock seen in the STD teaser comes from McQ. (although Star Trek Enterprise used it first, in Mirror Darkly pt 1).

Star%20Trek%2004.jpg

mcquarrie-unmade-star-trek.png

I recognized the design from way back in Trek history. The new design is close but not as bulky as the original Titans design. I kinda like it.

Coming from me, yes it is! :lol

And yep, McQuarrie lives. Or Ken Adam, I'm not sure who followed who with this design, which was apparently done for "Planet of the Titans," the unmade movie that was abandoned for Phase II the TV series and finally TMP the movie.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19949348/hostedimages/enttmpkenadams01.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19949348/hostedimages/phaseIIprot.jpeg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19949348/hostedimages/phaseIIenterprise.jpg

Even the asteroid drydock seen in the STD teaser comes from McQ. (although Star Trek Enterprise used it first, in Mirror Darkly pt 1).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19949348/hostedimages/Star Trek 04.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19949348/hostedimages/mcquarrie-unmade-star-trek.png

I'm thinking using his designs pretty much confirms a show between TOS and TNG.

I wish they'd do a post-VOY/Nemesis Trek.

Re: Star Trek Discovery (2017)

Judging by the perfectly round saucer and design of the front of the nacelles, I do believe your hopes are going to be dashed. That's very clearly TOS era tech.

I guess you're right. I'm not familiar with the registration numbers of Star Trek ships, but NCC-1031 sounds older than NCC-1701.

NCC-1031 sounds older than NCC-1701.

Matt Jefferies, designer of the Enterprise, said that "1701" meant first ship in the 17th series of starship designs. But then we have the anomaly of the USS Constellation, identical to Enterprise, which has the number "NCC-1071."

I'm not a huge Trek fan but I like seeing more of McQuarrie's old designs being used. I agree it's not the prettiest but I do like the 70's vibe.

So after watching that tease as well as hearing the whole we're not on a network so we're free to push the limits, I feel like we're going to get the BSG version of Trek.

ST 1-6 is my favorite era for Starfleet vessels. I'm not in love with this design, but I certainly don't dislike it as much as I do the reboot Enterprise.

The fact that the show will be in the Prime universe makes me happy enough to give them some slack in the design aesthetic department.

There's some speculation that this might not take place that early on in the Prime Timeline.

Looking at the color of the hull, the design in general compared to everything else we've seen in Star Trek AND the music that plays over the teaser, it's possible that what we are seeing here is a new Starship created by an alliance between the Federation and the Klingons. An alliance where they worked on designing a ship together would be a very new thing for Star Trek and certainly not in a pre-TOS or even immediately after. This could be how the show runners make a Starship that's set potentially post-Nemesis not look too high tech compared to all the other ships.

One detail I pinpointed that puts this further down the timeline are the nacelles. Note how each one has the three bussard collectors. You know what other starship had three bussard collectors in each nacelle? The Enterprise-E. And yes, that detail IS IN THE MOVIES. You can see them in the front most part of the nacelle when you see the Enterprise diagram on the bridge. So this could very well be modern starship design in a very crude starship class.

I see windows, but no huge gigantic bridge window view screen! YES!!!! Freaking sold!

Gotta say, the design is awkward at first, but that shot from beneath sold me. The lighting, the shape, it just works. And I couldn't be happier that they went with a name like Discovery instead of it being another Enterprise. Star Trek can be diverse within itself!

I will choose this over the NX anytime anywhere. Probably Voyager too.

I agree! The design looked kind of wonky to me at first but it gets better the more I look at it. And does the triangle remind anyone else of the starfleet insignia? Or is that just me?

I see the insignia too, but I'd prefer the original triangular shape. This design was all wrong for the Enterprise, but I always liked it in general so I'm glad to see it here.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back