Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
I hope they will actually look like Klingons this time around ;)

So Michele Yeoh isn't going to the captain of a Chinese starship after all? And what kind of name is Georgiu? That doesn't even sound remotely Chinese to me, is this a case with the character name being set before casting even began or is the showrunner having no idea of what a real Chinese name sounds like? I hope that it's the former, then it can (hopefully) put to rest all of the cries of pandering to the Chinese market and all of that. If it's the latter, they need to do a better job, granted that Sulu isn't Japanese (though it could be a bastardization of Suru), at least it sounds Japanese, unlike Georgiu.

U.S.S. Georgiu Takei? :lol

That far in the future, with the continued mixing of cultures it makes sense to me that first and last names come from different cultures.

I agree with that, to a degree. Even with a mixing of cultures I'd argue that names would still bare a resemblance to their national origins even if bastardized. Sulu is a good example of this, even though there's no way you could actually spell Sulu in Japanese it sounds close enough to Japanese to believe that it was derived from something like Suru, which is possible in Japanese. Georgiu, on the other, doesn't sound even remotely Chinese so unless Michele Yeoh's character is either from non-Chinese parent (as in adopted) or is married to someone with the last name Georgiu I just don't buy it.

What makes you think her name is even a human-earth based name? Maybe she's named after some famous Andorian or Rigellian. Think outside the confines of the planet.

And here she is.

sonequa-martin_0_zpsw9zkgmra.jpg

Sonequa Martin-Green to lead 'Discovery' cast on CBS All Access

When does TWD shoot? She could possibly manage both. And it would seem like an obvious spoiler for her to be free to shoot the show because of no longer being on TWD.

Then again, it's TWD, so there's a pretty good chance she's dying. :lol

The article I read on the announcement states she will still be a Walking Dead regular. Granted they could be intentionally misleading folks with that.

Looks like the ship design has not changed in any major way since SDCC peek. The vector insignia on the uniforms will have a line through it?

I certainly don't mind my worldview being challenged if it's smart. However, diversity as product placement is insulting.

That being said, after a few years of forcing diversity on us might not be bad. If anything, it will widen the type of bankable actors out there.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back