New to foam and here's BATMAN WIP

NickDanger

A few weeks ago I went to the Fayetteville, NC ComicCon on a whim. I got in free with a guy I knew who self publishes a comic...here's his site for props http://kirklindosvampressluxura.blogspot.com. Naturally there were a lot of people in costume but I didn't see but a few that I thought were REALLY well done. I have always been a creative guy and used to make costumes every Halloween. I even won a few contests. I haven't made a costume in about 20 years and thought, I WANNA MAKE SOMETHING! So I started looking at ideas. I didn't know what costume to make...Star Wars, super hero, fantasy...I found this web site and sniffed around a bit and then saw this guy...http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=225936. LOVED IT!!! So I decided to make Batman based on Reznor 9's Arkham Origins build. I'm not a gamer but have really enjoyed the neo-retro Arkham costumes. My build will be very similar to Reznor 9's and the Arkham Origins version but with my own tweaks.

I have never worked with EVA foam so thank God for Youtube videos! Like I said, I am a creative person and have 25 years experience as a graphic designer. So, I'm pretty handy with artsy/crafty stuff and with a little practice I got into a groove with cutting and shaping the foam. I made a body form from my body and started working...

Here come the pics...

IMG_1865.jpgIMG_1875.jpgIMG_1876.jpgIMG_1887.jpg

I started by tracing Reznor 9's armor in Adobe Illustrator. I adjusted the outlines to fit my body. The pecs were not wide enough and I had to redo that. The abs were fun to do. I bevel cut from the back side of the foam and sanded the sharp edges to round them off.

I made my body form after I had made the abs and chest. Once I had the abs hot glues together I used contact cement to adhere the abs to the chest backer. The I worked on the sides.There was a little trial and error there and I had to add to them after I glued some of the parts together. I did all the minor touch up work with some caulk and sprayed it with plastic dip. I glues then sewed on the rings on the upper corners and last cemented the pecs. I have to paint some and I'll be done with the front of the torso...all but the big ole bat on the chest. That I'll have a buddy laser cut and it will be the very last bit of the body I do. So far I'm into it about 20hrs.

I tried some shoulder pads/pauldrons but they were a little too small. Not sure if I'll start over or try to modify the nearly finished ones I have already.

Attachments

• IMG_1895.jpg
    IMG_1895.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_1897.jpg
    IMG_1897.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_1900.jpg
    IMG_1900.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 634
Last edited:
Thanks cavedweller.
Something that's driving me crazy is the slight asymmetry. I'm pretty anal about having things line up just right...well...I'm still hit and miss. Most of the torso the slight asymmetry is not noticeable but to somebody like me...ugghhhhh!!!!

Looking great Nick. I did not notice any asymmetry until you pointed it out, and even then it seems acceptable. You will never notice it once you put everything on.

Here's the latest update...Boy have I Iearned some things as I work with foam, cement, plastic dip and paint. I have started on the shoulders, upper arms and gauntlets and will post pics soon. The chest/abs turned out pretty well if I say so myself. The metallic black paint on the bat wasn't even dry when I took the pic.
IMG_1906.jpg

Thanks Kitty. One thing that is puzzling and bothersome is painting. I really wanted to paint the bat before adhering it but then would not have been able to see registration marks nor airbrush the faint shadow behind the bat. I am reluctant to cut a mask stencil to cover the chest and airbrush or spray paint the bat. I'm concerned the stencil would not be precise enough. I ended up painting the bat by hand with a brush and there are some brush strokes. I don't want brush stroke. Any pointers...anyone? Anyone?

Whew!!! Fortunately I still have the sheet of foam I cut the bat from so I can use that. If I did not still have that however...any ideas on making a mask/stencil?

Have you tried painting it with a foam brush? That way you don't have any of the strokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as the stencil I will just use the foam piece I cut the bat from and airbrush the paint on. Bigbat I'm unsure of the cowl yet. I will try foam but if it doesn't look right I will try sculpting, casting and molding. I have done that before but that piece did not have to be smooth. I want my cowl smooooooooooth. I am concerned that foam will show the seams more than I am wanting.

I'm sure you could knock out the foam cowl no problem. Of all the Origins suit builds I've been following I think I'm the only one who went with the foam cowl. Not taking anything away from the other's at all. It can be done and looks pretty cool as well.

Latest update. Sorry about the poor quality pics. The light was not too good. I have left upper arm and gauntlet armor. Also completed torso with pauldrons and strapping in back.I'm not sure about using a black spandex shirt for the base either. I may use dark gray. I plan on connecting the pauldrons to the upper arm. I have had to reenforce a spot or two because the foam cracked/tore/broke. I think I may have made the torso a little too tight for donning and it's stressing a few spots too much.
FullSizeRender-10.jpgFullSizeRender-9.jpgFullSizeRender-7.jpgFullSizeRender-5.jpg

Last edited:
It has been a while since I have posted updates. I did not work on my costume much the first few months of this year and picked back up at the beginning of May. I have completed the belt and gauntlets and shinguards. I got great spandex type cape fabric at a store that was going out of business. $17.99 a yard for $8.99 on close out special. I thought the carbon fiber decal material looked pretty cool. I have that as accent on several parts of the costume. It will not stick to acrylic paint however so I will have to use contact cement to adhere it to the frame of the abs. Pics of the belt and gauntlets are new. My goal is to be done by mid October 2016.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    525.2 KB · Views: 482
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    970.1 KB · Views: 377
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    769.1 KB · Views: 392
It has been a while since I have posted updates. I did not work on my costume much the first few months of this year and picked back up at the beginning of May. I have completed the belt and gauntlets and shinguards. I got great spandex type cape fabric at a store that was going out of business. $17.99 a yard for $8.99 on close out special. I thought the carbon fiber decal material looked pretty cool. I have that as accent on several parts of the costume. It will not stick to acrylic paint however so I will have to use contact cement to adhere it to the frame of the abs. Pics of the belt and gauntlets are new. My goal is to be done by mid October 2016.
Mate that looks amazing love detail finish on that belt [emoji106] [emoji2]

sent from samsung

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back