New to foam and here's BATMAN WIP

Thank you Creative Stress. I am pretty anal retentive about my artwork. The costume looks great in pictures or up to a few feet away. Up close however the asymmetry and flaws in the cuts of foam or small globs of glue I missed before painting drive me nuts. The belt was fun to paint. You can go wrong with weathering when you build it in layers rather than heavy and fast. The base gold was a nice color. Rustoleum I think. I debated on glueing the belt right to the armor or attaching with Velcro. I opted for Velcro. The thigh armor and neck pieces are next. I'm saving the cape and cowl for last. Oh and a harpoon gun and maybe a bat-a-rang.

Thank you Htofstead. Although I have never worked with foam I have over 30 years of modeling, fabricating, prop and costume making and graphic design.

Almost done! I got my mother in law to sew a cape. After three tries I was able to make a useable mold of my head so I could make an armature of myself. I used the armature to make a template of the cowl and made the first draft. I have made some adjustments and will get the final (I hope) piece made this weekend. It looks like I will have everything ready to go for the local comic con on Oct. 15!!!
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyway to get a few shots of the neck piece and some tips on how u made it?i am needing to make one and am at a wall. Amazing job as well

Great job!!! Everything is coming along nicely!!! If you don't mind, how did you form the chest? I'm trying for the first time and wasn't sure how your getting that center crease, between the pectorals. Are you doing two separate pieces of just one?

I used floor mat foam for the pecs and lobes of the abs. To get the hard vertical line in the middle of the chest I cut about a 1/8"- 1/4" wedge out of the back almost all the way through and then glued in a slightly wider wedge. I heated and tried to make the pecs bulge outward but the chest still looks a little flat. I would remake it a little differently now and add separate pieces of foam on the bottom of each pec to make them more contoured. I'm sure gluing seperate pieces of foam would work too. I hope that helped.

Last edited:
Thanks man. The real test will come when I spray the cowl with plasti-dip. I want it very smooth and seamless...fingers crossed. You've got some good stuff going on with your outfit. I'm really digging how you made the pieces for the neck and traps. Don't kick yourself bro. I have a life time of art/graphics/design experience.

Anyway to get a few shots of the neck piece and some tips on how u made it?i am needing to make one and am at a wall. Amazing job as well

I used 3mm foam. I measured the diameter and height of my neck and made a rough draft from thin cardboard. I trimmed it until I got a good fit and could move my neck around with a decent range of motion. Then I transferred that to the foam. I used reference pics of other Arkham Origins cowls and pics from the game to plan the layout of the pieces. Mine is more linear with straighter lines than one of the coolest reference pics. I heated and formed the curve of the base collar and then super glued the individual panels on. I hot glued Velcro at the neck. This piece still need to be sprayed with plasti-dip. I hope this helps Cjames3.
this helps...image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back