Donna Troy Wonder Woman

hovercarracer

Hi all! Long term lurker finally posting! I'm working on a Donna Troy as Wonder Woman cosplay for Supanova Brisbane (any other Aussies out there??) in November. I have to admit I'm a Marvel person myself (David Aja's Hawkeye is my go-to cosplay), but my sis is going as Diana!Wonder Woman (the one with the leather jacket) - her first serious cosplay - and I thought it'd be cool to do something matching. At first we thought New 52!Donna would be cool, but upon realising she's kinda crazy we agreed on Dodson's Donna Troy Wonder Woman. Needless to say, what was meant to be just a quick build while working on my other project (Classic!Hawkeye!) has spiraled into a rather more involved, labour intensive and not-quite-budget cosplay!

So here's a thread to mark my progress and provide some (somewhat entertaining) insights, particularly for Aussie cosplayers. No doubt there'll be some mistakes that'll make seasoned cosplayers shake their heads but that's how you learn, right? :D

... To give you an idea of what I'm working with:
  • No Worbla / thermoplastic - not easy to come by in Aus :(
  • I live in a regional area and don't have a car - so most of what I use must come from the local $2 store... and ebay! Ebay means planning ahead!
  • The hardware store (Bunnings) is too far to get to and...
  • ...Only 1 craft store in town (Spotlight) and it takes me 30 mins to cycle there (not tempting in 30 deg heat!) - that means limited access to fabric, spray paint / varnishes / glues (e.g. Mod Podge) and craft foam bigger than A4
  • No sewing machine...
  • No heat gun...
  • Work 9 - 5 weekdays and some Saturdays - so most of this is done at night. Timeline ~ 5 wks

So... here we go!

Reference Pics

Donna's WW costume is featured in a fairly limited number of issues...
Note to self #1 : Omg next time choose a costume with more references!
Note to self #2 : ... Imma need to grow my hair about 15 cm in 2 months lol

2007-DC-Direct-Wonder-Woman-Series-1-Action-Figure-Donna-Troy-as-Wonder-Woman-002-375x500.jpgWonder Woman 001 (2006) (digital-Empire) 003.jpgWonder Woman 002 (2006) (digital-Empire) 002.jpg

Ideas for the costume:
  • Skirt - vinyl / painted brown (or black?) fabric + split pins for the studs
  • Add in some tights b/c honey I aint got the physique to show that much leg :p
  • Cloak - some kind of satin-y type material (omg how to walk around the convention centre with a huge cloak billowing around?? :wacko)
  • Elbow / Knee guards.... probably leave out. Laaaazy!
  • Armbands - elastic + glitter glue / ribbon
  • Lasso - spray paint rope + EL Wire for added Awesomeness?
  • Sword - leave out?
  • Breastplate - foam + snaps / velcro / zip? Going to have to be jigsaw-ed from many small pieces since no big pieces of foam available....
  • Belt - foam.... but how to make it look all shiny like dat?
  • Shoulder armour - foam
  • Greaves - foam + elastic
  • Boots - spray paint boots gold...
  • Bracers - foam + ...elastic / velcro / snaps?
  • Tiara - foam or cardboard + elastic

Note to self #3 :
...Gonna need a loooooot of foam :wackoI promptly went to the $2 store and blew way to much on stuff I probably won't end up using. But then that's cosplay, right? .... right??? :facepalm
20150926_145910.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to start small, so first item is the tiara = gold contact paper around foam.
Note to self #4: Contact doesn't actually adhere to the foam very well. Next time try glueing to surface to avoid crinkly-ness

20150926_175633(1).jpg20150926_175649(1).jpg20151025_151511.jpg
Left to right: Pattern for 3D star, made from metallic cardboard; Inside of tiara; Front of tiara

20151025_152144.jpg
Does this tiara make my head look fat?? (Is this just a chance to show off my geek!wall? well.... yes ;))

Buoyed by my success, I moved on to the hardest part (Note to self #5: Bad idea!) - the breastplate. I haven't really worked with craft foam before - I've made bracers but that's about it. Nonetheless, there are tonnes of tutorials around on how to make foam breastplates / corsets, so I thought I'd give it a try. The first step always seems to be making a duct tape clone of yourself. (Good resources: [1] , [2]) "No worries," thought I - tape is cheap and it looks straight forward enough...

Note to self #5: Duct tape-ing yourself is an experiment in contortionism when you have no helper and little t-rex arms. Cutting it off afterwards is also an... interesting experience. *facepalm*
Note to self #6: DO NOT DO WHILE YOU ARE ON CALL, YOU SILLY PERSON! bwahahhahahahaha :facepalm

So after much stretching and shimmying I got this somewhat mangled form of the front of me (figured I'd just ad lib the back) - ROFL. (A case of Expectation vs. Reality, haha). I then cut out half of it and after much umming, ahhing and head-scratching wrestled out a design, cut out all the duct tape pieces and patterned it onto the craft foam. I also guesstimated the back part (it's going to end badly, I can tell, lol). Luckily I was able to umm, liberate, some A3 craft foam from my sister during my last visit down to Brisbane so I was able to keep the W motif and the back parts seamless (width-wise). I'd have liked to do the same with the entire front part of the breastplate but didn't have enough for that, so I guess it's going to be more a modular armour look than an embossed armour look.
20150926_230744.jpg20150927_132341(1).jpg20151009_225322(1).jpg20151010_124934(1).jpg20151010_124643(1).jpg

Drawing inspiration from this amazing DoJ WW tutorial, I decided to also do an under-layer of foam. Rather than going with the duct tape thing again I just used a close-fitting shirt as a pattern. After more deliberation than was probably necessary I decided to put the zip on the side rather than the back. I sweated through the gluing process (literally: it's hot here..) and to my relief everything fit together relatively well. I couldn't find contact glue in-store so I decided to risk ordering some off e-bay - which was fine except I had to get it delivered to work since it's a 'hazardous material' (flammable!) - I got some funny looks, lol.

20150928_220047.jpg20151025_160608.jpg

Tonight's progress: Putting together the top part of the breastplate. Wasn't sure whether/how to seal the foam so I painted the pieces with "gesso universal primer", dried, then applied a layer of PVA glue and covered each of the pieces in gold contact paper using a similar technique to this stretch vinyl and foam tutorial. The glue of the contact paper on its own does not stick very well to the primed foam, and I had hoped that the PVA would help that but found it didn't do much in the end. I experimented a bit with using the stronger contact glue but found that it eats away the foil, so had to confine the glue to the side and back of the pieces. This means the front is a bit crinkly when bent but it's not too bad and good enough as a cheap way of getting that shiny/chrome gold look.

Glueing the pieces together was also a trial in anxiety! Luckily it all turned out in the end, with a tiny bit of trimming and a lot of patience... It's a bit shapeless at the moment so I might have a go at heat-forming it using the stove (when the flatmate's away so I don't look like a crazy person, lol) - though I suspect that'll make the foil go weird... :/

06 20151011_154456.jpg06 20151011_221249.jpg

I've covered the breastplate pieces in multiple layers of gesso and sanded them, using 80 / 120 / 240 / 320 grit sandpaper. (Note to Self #7 : Need... more... muscles...!) Note sure how to tell if it's 'done' - I could still see brushstrokes but it felt smooth to the touch. Covered the whole lot in cheap gold "Australian Export" spray paint (the only type I can find and fumes like nothing else, eww) and while there are some pits / irregularities here and there it's not too bad. Obviously it's not the smooth gold metal look I was wanting but at a distance it's not too bad either. Nonetheless I'm whimped out of glueing the pieces together as I suspect they won't quite fit (Note to Self #8: Foam shrinks when heated (?)) and I'm not entirely sure how to fix that...

In the meantime, tonight I worked on patterning the shoulder, elbow and shin armour: AKA An Exercise in Frustration. It seemed so simple when I sketched out my ideas but somehow the shape and layers seem to be a lot more complicated than I thought! Anyway, the shoulder pieces are 3 layers with the top layer being quite a bit smaller than the other two. The elbow armour is two pieces, though I'm unsure whether to make them static (single strap around the elbow) or articulated (one strap above, one below the elbow, enabling it to move with my arm). The first option is much simpler and seems truer to the comics (what limited panels I can find) , but the second is def. cooler!
shoulder 1.jpgelbow 1.jpg
07 20151010_162527.jpg07 20151010_173347.jpg

The leg armour especially is driving me nuts (no idea why, it's basically just a tapered cylindrical shape, right??)

legs 1.jpg

I did one version and forgot to make allowances for leggings and boots underneath and so had to redo them. Then after a few hours of frustrated scribbling and taping I finally arrived at some patterns but realised they needed to all be wider so they could overlap.... and then the 'waves' weren't symmetrical and didn't line up properly between the tiers and blergghhhhh! And finally I eneded up having to split the pieces even more because they didn't fit on an A4 sheet of foam (I have no A3's left). No idea yet how I'm going to strap it to my leg considering they wrap the whole diameter of my leg as opposed to just the front half (zip? velcro? snaps?) . In the meantime, lots of cutting, painting and sanding ahead! By this stage I'm fairly certain I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be, lol! :facepalm

07 20151011_161932(1).jpg
Foaaammm! Aaaaallll the foamsssss!

...Seriously - I think I've gone through like 4 packets (6 sheets per packet) already. The staff at the $2 store are starting to give me funny looks :p

Hi Hovercarracer

Noticed you're using Export paints, and getting results that aren't to your liking. Two words bud. Supercheap Auto. Well, ok..... Maybe three words then. :p Anyhoo. Once you enter the store. Head to the automotive paint section. There you'll find paint in every colour imaginable, from just about every make of car on Australian roads, by the name of Dupicolour. ( They also sell Export. But trust me, when you see the range of colours of Auto paint you can get. You'll never look back. ) The only word of warning I'd give you is the spray cans are considerably smaller. And more expensive. Everything they have should also be available at Autobarn, and Autopro.

Here's the page of their website. Take a look.
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/on...sories/paint-and-panel-repair.aspx?id=1021683

Also a Dupicolour booklet explaining their range, as well as the colour options. here's a their PDF.
http://www.saauto.com.au/userfiles/file/Catalogues/Duplicolor/Dupli-Color Guide 2011.pdf

And they don't just sell paint. One highlight would be this product.

Septone Spray putty. As the name suggests. Its a spray putty the fills scratches, and imperfections. Just make sure your foam is sealed properly. Considering you've sprayed it already with enamel. I'd say you've done that already. lol
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/on...e-Acrylic-400g.aspx?pid=33228#Recommendations

Just make sure to call ahead if you notice a paint online you want, and make sure its instock instore.

As for sealing foam. I think the usual option is diluted white glue as the sealer. And then Plasti dip over the top. You should be able to find Plasti dip at Supercheap too. But seems the Gesso is doing fine.

And then, since you're going through a few packets of that craft foam. And if you want to build other things later on. Try hunting down a foam supplier. I just did a Google search. And there's on in Burleigh Heads on the Gold coast.But being a local. You'd probably find one closer. But here's the link to the place I found.

http://www.pjbowers.com.au/foam.html

Ask for the thinnest Eva foam they have. Don't get PE. Ugh. Don't ask me how I know. And off hand. I'd say firmest EVA as well. Its hard to tell when you haven't bought it through a supplier before. One mans firm is another persons soft. :p

Should be way cheaper than buying it in packets. Can't for the life of me remember what price I paid. I think it was $26 for 2 sheets. And they were massive. And whatever you do. Don't go to Clark rubber. They'll rob you blind.

Good luck with your cosplay project bud. Hopefully I've been more of a help than a hindrance.

P.S. this post took so long. I timed out, and had to log back in again. lol

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for all the info and the links Valdore!

I'm actually planning on a rather long (and probably wet!) cycle up to Bunnings this weekend (I don't have a car, lol) because the $2 store ran out of gold spray paint - the charms of regional living, haha. I think Supercheap is actually on the way so I'll stop by - not sure if it's a full on store or just a service centre as from memory it's fairly small but I guess I'll find out! Probably won't make it to Autobarn because that's an extra 20 mins of cycling, lol

Also had no idea PlastiDip was available in Australia (always assumed it was a USA thing) and this is the first time I've heard of that spray putty stuff, so I'll keep an eye out for that as well. That being said, I'm still trying to keep this project fairly budget, so while I may stand there in the shop and and salivate over the paints like a kid in a candy store, paying $20 for a can of paint or primer is not something I'm likely to do. As much as I'd love to do a proper job of it, in this case I'll take the downgrade in quality for the cheaper price...

As for foam, I'll keep that in mind for next time. For the moment I have enough for now and the A4 sizes are cheap ($2 a packet) and 'good enough' for this beginner project. I'll work my way up to the big stuff! (Though finding a local supplier in Rockhampton may be tricky :p )

---

No progress tonight (completely tuckered out from work!) but here's a quick piccy of my sister's belt (from the Odyssey costume). From what I understand it's several layers of foam stacked for a more 3D look.

...It looks kickass and I'm totally jealous! Can't wait to see it painted!

mms_img1469901174.jpg

No problem. glad to help if I can. I have a confession to make. When I read your thread title. I thought to myself "How they gonna do the sparkly space effect?" lol

At least you get rain. We haven't had a true downpour in Melbourne for a while. Or not that I've noticed in my part of Vic.

I did check the foam supplier I linked you to. And reread it. Had to face palm, because I didn't notice the minimum size was 3mm. And you're using 1mm sheets. Right now in the middle of a build. Last thing you'd need would be change.

Plasti dip has been available here for a while. As well as a few different brands. I picked up my as yet unused can of Rustoleum's version at Bunnings.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/rust-oleum-312g-flat-white-peel-coat-removable-coating_p1580759

Its fairly pricey at 22 bucks a can though. Its actually to bad you can't post aerosols via Australia post. I have the unused can of Rustoluem, as well as an unused can of Spray putty you could have. Lol And Rustoleum is another brand I didn't know we could get here either.

Not sure if it'd help or not. But when I was building a batman cowl for a friends 3 year son. I found a witches brew of Talcum powder, acrylic paint, and PVA glue not bad for filling. Since you have to make it yourself. It can be thin or thickened to what you want it for, Tinted, or colour matched to your work. Sanded. And with the white glue in it. It remains slightly flexible. I have a picture of the cowl somewhere. But I'm buggered if I know where. And in the long run, after being told the kid had a "Hugish" head, and going through 8 versions of various results. The bloody think didn't fit. And I had to cut it down. I can laugh about it now. But it t'weren't no fun at the time.

Belt is looking good. But looking at the table. Me thinks you might need a cutting mat. LOL

Speaking of PlastiDip - https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/217996 :D I'll have to see if I can grab some for the ever-present but never-realised 'future project' :p

Also, hahaha - yes, I keep telling her to get a cutting mat - so long as Mum doesn't see it... :p

----

Progress has been made! Mainly because I've just realised that owing to a trip to the Land of the Long White Cloud (aka NZ) I actually only have about 2 weeks to finish in!

Finished cutting out all the foamies. Heat-sealed. Covered with 3-4 coats of gesso primer, then sanded with 240 grit paper, sweat and elbow grease. This took approximately FOREVER. Then glued the pieces that had darts in them, and did a bit of heat-forming.
07 20151011_181805.jpg07 20151011_182016.jpg07 20151011_181925.jpg
Left to right: Elbow part 1 / Elbow part 2 / Shoulder bottom layer // Not pictured: (2 more shoulder layers. Knee pad. 3 layers of greaves, Bracers) * 2; way too many breastplate/belt pieces

...Then I got a bit excited and spray painted them all gold / chrome (the Export stuff)....
10 20151018_173317.jpg

...and subsequently realised I still wanted to embellish the shoulders and kneepads. So I went through an truly insane number of hot glue sticks (seriously - like, 25 or something) and did some fancy squiggles. It was a lot messier than I thought because of all those hot glue 'strings'. On the upside - I discovered an exciting new use for eyebrow tweezers (and tears). :p
11 20151022_222730.jpg11 20151023_232752.jpg11 20151019_213127.jpg
Left to right: Lots of glue. Aaaaalll the glue / Shoulders with and without glue strings painstakingly tweezed/cut off... / Kneepads. All up it took about 3 episodes of X-Files... ;)

... I was pretty pleased with how they came out and was all excited to re-spray paint them.... only to find I had no paint left!! And the store I bought it from also had no paint left!! D: So on the weekend I took a cycle to Bunnings (40 min each way!) and got a different brand - "British Paints" for $7. I also spent an inordinate amount of time drooling over the more expensive brands and the varnishes and the sealers and getting ideas for future projects... At home I noticed this label on the can and had to laugh:
20151101_112358.jpg20151031_155200.jpg

Well. I'm sure it'll be fine, even though this is northern QLD :p

In the meantime I also faced the music and finally got to work assembling the breastplate. I had to add in two pieces under the bust because they didn't quite fit - I think because of the whole shrinking-after-heat-sealing business.
12 20151025_132502.jpg

It doesn't look too bad even if it is a little.... wide? Idk. Probably if I heat-formed it it would look better, but I don't have a heat gun and the stove doesn't affect a big enough area. Haven't decided yet how to close the piece - whether to risk wearing it on it's own and put a zip on one side (assuming it fits - I still haven't checked yet), or stick with my original plan of gluing it to the foam under-layer I made earlier. I'd also like to make it look a little glossier / polished. Experimented a bit with combinations of: a 'clear spray' (Export spray paint again) but it seems to dull the metallics - the chrome more-so than the gold (Note to Self #9: Dat stuff it no good!). Also tried some car polish (lol). Read a few tutorials using "Future Floor Polish" which is supposedly "Pledge" in Australia and bought some "Pledge 5 in 1 Wood Magic" but not much success with that either.
I'm not too fussed with leaving it as is - i.e. unsealed - since I'm probably only wearing this once and it'll be indoors. Might try some PVA/water mixture if I have time (got no Mod Podge and it's kinda expensive) but I'd prefer not to get that plastic-y shine that it's given me in past projects. For now I'll leave it.

I also worked on a few smaller bits and pieces (Note to Self #10: Work on small things in between big daunting things!). Managed to snag a pair of boots at Rivers (2 for 1 clearance shoes = cost me $8, awww yeah!) that might be good. I was thinking I'd leave them red as a tip-off to Donna's old costume, rather than spray-painting them gold. We'll see.
08 20150926_124825(1).jpg

When I got home from work I was pleasantly surprised to find my EL Wire had also arrived. I got 2 m and it seems to be a good length (3 m would've been better, but $$). It's pretty cool when it's all lit up (I haven't had any experience with the stuff whatsoever). The plan is to plait/weave it with some spray-painted gold cord to give it a bit more substance and a more metallic look.
08 20151016_172208.jpg

And I also did the sparkly armbands using some $2 store ribbon on stretchy black fabric. Ribbon is stitched onto the fabric in only a couple of places (using silver thread from a cross-stitch project) so that the elastic can still stretch (if that makes sense). There's also some of that iron-on hemming tape so I didn't have raw edges.
09 20151024_161109.jpg20151104_223745.jpg
For the eagle-eyed reader: yes, I've finished the armour bits! All painted and weathered - but more on that tomorrow night ;)

Still so much more to do, haha! (...*sob*)

----

And just a sneak peak of my sister's costume bits:
DSC_1502.JPGDSC_1499.JPG
Left to right: Fabric for the top part, which has apparently been made but she hasn't sent me pictures yet! I think it's a red metallic spandex-y type material / Pants (store-bought) - with some panels for a bit of visual interest.

DSC_1608.JPGDSC_1609.JPGDSC_1610.JPG
Left to right: Various foam parts - bracers, belt, a couple of logos - not sure where exactly they're going but I think perhaps the chest emblem / top of W logo / back of W logo. Apparently it's a 3D W stitched onto a flat W - I'm kinda baffled on how she managed to wrangle the top W into that shape and stitch it o_O . She also tried to use Rub 'n Buff (which I can't get in Rocky, but she could in Brisbane) but I don't think she's happy with it. Maybe not polished enough? IDK. but it looks cool nonetheless! (Although I am a little concerned that she's moved her work surface from her desk to the keyboard....!! >_< )

So the breastplate is now almost finished! Over several nights I gingerly glued the design part to the underlayer and it fits - kinda. At first I just glued the two layers together at the sides and top part, as the design layer seems to be slightly wider/larger than the underlayer (i.e. they can't be glued exactly together, edge-to-edge). However the abs part of the design layer ended up rather floppy/shapeless, so I attempted to reinforce/harden it with a combination of wire and papermache to give it a bit more shape. Didn't work that well (unsurprisingly) but it was better than it had been. After everything dried I glued parts of that to the underlayer, which provided some additional stiffness. I guess that's why all the tutorials I read used >3 mm foam! (Note to Self #11 : Use thick foam for parts needing rigidity and shape) . This is what I ended up with:
20151107_150841.jpg20151107_150852.jpg

As you can see there are a fair amount of creases there since I only used thin foam, but so far as I know there's no easy fix for that and I don't mind all that much. I'm planning on touching up the paint later (when it's not storming/hailing!). I also need to add a hook or something to hold the lasso (which still has yet to be made....)

I also finished the bracers:
bracers.jpg13 20151025_161450.jpg
Foam spray painted painted chrome, unsealed. In retrospect I realise metallic cardboard would've done the trick as well (and been less time-consuming) since forearms are essentially straight and Donna's WW bracers are (a bit disappointingly) plain. Strangely, it took me two goes to make these - I first tried to cover them with foil contact paper (the same I used for the tiara) and then spray paint over that with the idea of getting a smooth finish quickly which of course didn't work (the paint just flaked off the contact paper). I also had planned on using velcro to close them, but found that the thickness of the velcro prevented the ends from sitting flush and it was noticeable enough that I scrapped the lot and started over. These are closed with snaps - a mixture of plastic and metal ones because I didn't have enough in my haberdashery stash, haha.

Another quick week-night project was the earrings. Metallic cardboard (two layers so that the back is silver too - because I'm pedantic like that...) glued to a pair of unused studs that, ironically, say 'Star' ;)
earrings.jpg20151106_215057.jpg20151106_220435.jpg

I also have a swishy cape, kudos of mum's sewing machine. Currently just a rectangle but I might change the top to make it sit better when the breastplate is finished. Bizarrely, this turned out to be rather expensive, even though I bought the materials at Lincraft half price! 2 materials, ~1.5 m of each at $7/m = ~$20!
20151107_172624.jpg

Finished most of the armour bits and they look pretty awesome!

They're all done except the greaves (which are still giving me grief - more on that later...). That paint I bought from Bunnings is pretty awesome! It's a lot glossier than I was expecting and I was a bit reluctant to weather the armour pieces, though they do look better that way. Here is a process pic for one of the elbow pieces:
20151101_142130.jpg
Left: Piece after spray-painting with the new Bunnings paint
Middle: After applying black acrylic paint (with a tiny bit of gold mixed in because I was a bit nervous!) with a cotton bud
Right: Finished piece! Wiped off the majority of the paint with a bit of water and a chux cloth. I wanted to get that spray-paint gloss back so I sprayed a cloth a few times and then rubbed that on to the piece, which worked quite well.

20151101_131616.jpg20151101_170123.jpg20151101_170220.jpg
Left: Pieces pre-weathering. You can't see it, but I also painted the under-side of all the pieces brown, just in case. I was going to paint them gold but in the end decided it was not worth the effort / paint :p
Right: Pieces after weathering (awwwww, yeah!)

20151101_182239.jpg20151104_223606.jpg
Left: Assembled shoulder armour! The three layers are held with my favourite tool - the humble split pin! They could perhaps do with a bit more shaping but I'm more than satisfied with them as-is!
Right: Assembled elbow armour! Again, held with split pins and with a bit of elastic stretched across. I decided not to make them articulated so I ended up hot-gluing the two pieces to prevent unwanted moving.

Ugh, Note to self #12 : If it's done, stop working on it!!.

I had finished the breastplate, with the skirt attached and everything. Then I re-sprayed it with the new gold and it looked super awesome. Only I didn't quite mask the non-gold parts well enough and ended up with a bit of overflow. "No worries", thought I, "I'll just re-spray the other parts too".... And of course then I didn't mask the gold parts well enough - rinse and repeat... >< So now I'm in the process of re-painting the skirt and waiting for it to dry so I can mask it off (properly this time!) and re-gold the breastplate (again!)... Here is what it looked like before any of that business.
20151107_151658.jpg20151107_160944.jpg20151107_161620.jpg
Left: With shoulder straps attached. The gold chain was just something I had lying around - didn't have enough so had to make up the surplus with elastic (it's hidden under the shoulder armour anyway)
Middle: With skirt attached - I originally had it brown but on close inspection of the panels realised it was probably blue (not that it matters all that much, I know) and so re-painted it blue/silver. (Hence why the back is brown and the front blue, lol)
Right: Breastplate pre-re-painting disaster

In other news - finished the greaves, finally! The original pattern didn't fit so I had to glue on little extra pieces here and there. They're mostly on the inner side of the leg so not that noticeable. Then I couldn't figure out a good say to close them - originally I attached an overly complicated, hellish system of velcro strips but eventually realised that with a bit of squirming I can get my legs in and out with just the bottom layer left open (just!) . Here they are with the knee-pads attached (split-pins again); the kneepads :
20151109_215300.jpg
I decided to enlarge the kneepads as I thought they were a bit small - just stuck-em onto a larger piece of foam, like a border.

...And then I decided to go all out and embellish the boots as well. I ended up using a different pair because the ones I had originally planned on have a rather wide ankle opening, making it difficult for the greaves to sit over them. These ones have a narrower opening, though they were my only pair of black boots, lol. A few process shots for those interested:
20151108_134750.jpg20151108_122305.jpg20151108_132333.jpg20151109_214841.jpgboot.jpg
Left to right: Boot, Boot + cling wrap + masking tape, with design on it. pattern pieces, finished boots!
Pretty pleased with how they turned out considering it was something of a rush job. I even changed the toe shape a bit to be pointier rather than blunt. It's a bit hard to see from the pictures, but the middle piece sits slightly underneath the toe and heel pieces.

Last couple of things for tonight - the lasso and a sword (!)

Lasso: EL wire + cord spray-painted gold + hot glue. Not quite as metallic as I would've liked but nevermind. Also the EL Wire makes a high pitched noise when turned on???? What's all that about?? o_O
20151109_220755.jpg20151109_220740.jpg

Sword : foam on a piece of light-weight wood (I think it's balsa?) - it's actually hacked off one of those cheapie shoe-racks you get from the $2 store, lol.

(Remember waaaay back when I started I said I was going to give the sword, kneepads and elbowpads a miss??... *facepalm* (go big or go home! lol). )

Was originally going to make the eagle hilt entirely out of foam but thought maybe clay would give me better detail faster. So it's clay on top of foam (a bad idea, I know). Waiting for it to dry so I can glue it on and gesso it (also fill in the cracks). Sword is yet to be painted too. It's only very rough - just 2 pieces of foam (4 mm thickness? IDK, whatever thickness a pet bowl mat is, lol) back-to-back, with the edges bevelled (very unevenly!) with a pair of scissors.
20151107_215733.jpg20151107_223244.jpg20151109_221304.jpgsword.jpg

Planning on making the pommel out of clay, and then the twisty-bits of the hilt probably out of cord or hot-glue. Can't be bothered to make the scabbard (although, knowing me.... :p )

Updating a year later, lol. For completeness sake, here was the finished product:

20151126_220002.jpg20151110_224632.jpg

Considering it was my first foam-based build I was pretty pleased with the way it came out! Which is to say - nothing fell apart while I was wearing it! XD Unsurprisingly, not many people at the con knew who the character was unless I was walking next to my sister- but it was hella fun and that's what it's all about :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back