Kurtyboy's Hoverboard project 8 Feb 2017 - Vinyl and velcro almost done plus foot pad

Re: Kurtyboy's hoverboard project - 10 November: Starting on the graphics.

Can't wait to see how you get on, I'm just about to start a MDF board next week as well, fingers crossed. You made any progress with this recently :)

Re: Kurtyboy's Hoverboard project. 11 November - Started on the graphics.

Roland shared his Hoverboard file I believe, and it pretty accurate... as long you're using it for yourself, I'm sure he won't mind :)

Roland shared his Hoverboard file I believe, and it pretty accurate... as long you're using it for yourself, I'm sure he won't mind :)

sorry to hijack your thread for a question kurtyboy. Don't mean to be rude.
Emma would you know if Rolands graphics are made for a board measuring 28 X 8"? I am going to get them printed on self adhesive vinyl but have no way of altering them as I'm only on an iPad. Thanks

I always prefer doing my own graphics. And I want it to be separate layers as well.

Roland's are indeed for an 8" wide board with the graphics themselves being 187mm wide (approx 7.36").

sorry to hijack your thread for a question kurtyboy. Don't mean to be rude.
Emma would you know if Rolands graphics are made for a board measuring 28 X 8"? I am going to get them printed on self adhesive vinyl but have no way of altering them as I'm only on an iPad. Thanks

It could be done, but I'd need Roland's approval for that.

There's no need. You can freely modify all my files if you think you can improve them in any way. Just leave the author notice (especially in the file properties) intact if you release any changes. And add your name as the author of the modifications, please. :) Regarding my Hoverboard files, I would suggest you to wait. In the very near future I will release new versions of the files with corrected colors and dimensions. For example: When I made my first files, I didn't notice that the bottom decal has to be smaller than the top decal of the board.

thanks for the reply Emma, I really appreciate it. Everyone's been super helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

There's no need. You can freely modify all my files if you think you can improve them in any way. Just leave the author notice (especially in the file properties) intact if you release any changes. And add your name as the author of the modifications, please. :) Regarding my Hoverboard files, I would suggest you to wait. In the very near future I will release new versions of the files with corrected colors and dimensions. For example: When I made my first files, I didn't notice that the bottom decal has to be smaller than the top decal of the board.

I wouldn't know where to start with making decals Roland, I'm just grateful that you took the time to make them and also make them freely available. I would happily pay you for a copy of your next decal run Roland.

Did you bin the MDF board in the end mate? I've got my board ready to go but I really can't decide how I'm going to tackle the "furry" edges. Was thinking just sanding,priming, filling and repeat but I'm not sure that will be the best option :/

It went to recycling!
Not sure what I'd try next time. Filler or something.

Ah that's a shame, thanks for the tips though. I'll possibly try some filler and sand it down. I may have to be satisfied that it won't end up looking as smooth as I'd like it to in the end.

I always prefer doing my own graphics. And I want it to be separate layers as well.

Roland's are indeed for an 8" wide board with the graphics themselves being 187mm wide (approx 7.36").

Damn, my board with the bevelled edge is 185mm wide! My bad!!

Just resize them slightly and nobody will notice other than yourself.

Man I'm useless on computers lol, even something as simple as shaving 2mm from the edge. I did hear Roland say that he may be making a new set of decals soon though which would be very good for me. How are you getting on with the progress of yours Kurtyboy :)

Waiting until I get my foam board.

I'll modify the graphics for you. Pm sent...

Replied.

That actually means a lot you offering to do that for me pal. I wouldn't have been able to do it myself and for you to offer to do that for me when I've only just joined is really good of you.

Thank you very much.

A year later and I still haven't got very far with my board!

I did eventually get two foam boards but they were a disaster. What was advertised as 'solid foam' actually turned out to be two layers of foam and four pieces of thick paper all glued together! :rolleyes

After a few months one board started to split and eventually completely split into two curved layers of foam with rippled paper stuck to them. :facepalm

The seller was not interested in offering any help to deal with his sub-standard product and dishonesty either. You know the type, who think that silence and ignorance are the answers to everything.

I was still without a set of magnets so I still hadn't worked on the graphics.

A few months later the second board started to split as well so I clamped it together to stop it splitting further and shelved it, utterly disgusted with the whole thing! :sick

So, where am I now with this disaster of a project? Well I bought a set of resin magnets off ebay - substandard but not much choice otherwise, and managed to save the second board by widening the split between the layers, forcing two-part epoxy in, and clamping them together.

Unfortunately all this work has left the board quite rough around the edges which needs a lot of tidying up.

Filling and sanding this foam is a nightmare as it tears the paint off the foam. I have 'foam coat' but it's too brittle and has a horrible sand like texture to it.

What is the correct type of filler? And what is the correct type of paint for this foam that is available in the neon/fluorescent pink? It's the type of foam that is eaten by solvents.

Re: Kurtyboy's Hoverboard project. 2 Dec 2016 - Disaster city! Paint help.

Just to recap this project :

MDF board ruined with PVA and fiberglass resin.

A member steals my original pink lenticular.

Another member sells me two junk foam boards.

The run of accurate magnets goes the way of the Dodo...

- - - Updated - - -

If I end up making my own foam board, what is the correct screen accurate foam to use and how do you shape it so accurately?

Re: Kurtyboy's Hoverboard project. 2 Dec 2016 - Disaster city! Paint and foam help.

Sorry to hear about everything going wrong for you! Your project started off so good! The best person to ask about foam is hdtheater as he makes the doc brown tombstones (some paint and finishes can damage the foam)
hope you done give up! All the best and hope you can pick this back up :)

Re: Kurtyboy's Hoverboard project. 2 Dec 2016 - Disaster city! Paint and foam help.

hey man, just saw your thread. I've been there, it took me an entire year to build my ones. But I've never been happy with them due to the lack of correct lenticular material on them. Plus when I did make them I knew nothing of the RPF and had to do it all with estimation from DVD's.
Researching materials is massively time consuming (2 years worth) but also rewarding with you get it.

Im not a hoverboard guru but Id be happy to help out on any issues you may have where I can.

I currently completely rebuilding my 2 from scratch as I have located the Lenticular material amoungst other bits that are more screen accurate.

Here's you tube links to the build I done years ago

https://youtu.be/u1TkA_6-r2A

https://youtu.be/eki2vYlKWno

And here is a quick little model of a plain Hoverboard with the new Lenticular on it

What part of UK you from? I'm Portsmouth
image1%202_zpsvukqvsm3.jpg

I could use some help with the foam, what to get, how to cut, shape, prime, and paint!

That lenticular looks good but it's upside down ;)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back