Kurtyboy's Hoverboard project 8 Feb 2017 - Vinyl and velcro almost done plus foot pad

Re: Kurtyboy's Hoverboard project. 2 Dec 2016 - Disaster city! Paint and foam help.

This is what a 'solid foam' board looks like :facepalm Couldn't be made of more layers if you tried.

hbcrap1.jpg

hbcrap2.jpg

hbcrap3.jpg

hbcrap4.jpg

hbcrap5.jpg

Re: Kurtyboy's Hoverboard project. 2 Dec 2016 - Disaster city! Paint and foam help.

Nobody know what the BTTF foam is called?

Maybe insulation foam boards? They come in different thickness.

Have you looked at foamex? We've used 10mm stuff for faux armour on Land Rovers, and it might come in thicker sizes - I think it's also known as PVC foam? Be careful when buying online, a lot of places list Foamex as Foamboard (and vice versa). You could always phone Amari Plastics?

I am using the HC plastic board as a base, and just completely revising it. Already has the correct color and dimensions (pretty much, kicktail is a little high). Having a 3D-printed insert made for the footpad hole so that I can relocate the footpad and place a lazy susan-based pad in the correct position. Getting cnc-machined magnet parts.

Just have two other projects I'm trying to finish first...

Nobody know what the BTTF foam is called?

Did find this. If you are still looking for a foam material to build it with...

https://www.generalplastics.com/rigid-foams.html

the FR-4600 looks like it might be worth a shot.

'Tooling foam' might be a good google also . Hard as nails but light. You can even plain the stuff!

I believe he isn't looking for products that would "work" for the base or be "close enough", but rather the actual material used on the production stunt boards. He seems to be wanting to make his as close to the original, using original materials, as possible.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Polyurethane foam, PVC foam, foamcore, insulation foam, foamcore... :wacko

I'm waiting for a sample of PVC foam to arrive.

I was hoping someone would know what the originals were made from though.

- - - Updated - - -

We're the originals CNC'd? I can't imagine it being easy to shape the bevels by hand and get them straight.

PVC foam is quite strong and rigid but too open cell, very rough.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME???
Ibought some Sommer's lenticular, and i noticed on one side the 3D effect is more animated and looks like it leaps off the surface,
And the other side looks a little less animated and the 3D effect looks sunken in.
so... which side should face up when applied to the board for it to be accurate?
PLEASE let me know or pm me.

Also what are people using to stick the lenticular down as an adhesive?

I haven't tried that yet.

Kurtyboy's Hoverboard project 21 Jan 2017 - Repairing the foam & reshaping magnet

One thing that I noticed right away while measuring/scaling for accurate positioning of the magnets was that the rear magnet is supposed to overhang the kicktail. Every replica I looked at (including officially licensed) seems to have overlooked this for some reason. So I used a heat gun (took a LONG time!) to soften and reshape it.
hoverboard14.jpg

hoverboard15.jpg

hoverboard16.jpg

With all the repairs I had to do on the foam layers the edges ended up very rough, so I started on the laborious task of reshaping them using automotive filler. Sanding painted foam is not fun as it simply tears, so this will take many passes until perfect.
hoverboard17.jpg

hoverboard18.jpg

hoverboard20.jpg

hoverboard21.jpg

hoverboard19.jpg

Pink lenticular has been under a pile of heavy books for a few weeks to flatten it out.
hoverboard22.jpg

Chrome vinyl will be used to back the lenticular which I'm told is accurate.
hoverboard23.jpg

Kurtyboy's Hoverboard project 28 Jan 2017 - Board repaired and lenticular cut

I'm about done repairing the board but I think I'm going to have trouble attaching a strip of lenticular around the edge as it's slightly warped. Also, I noticed the flat edge on these foam boards is wider than it should be.
hoverboard26.jpg

hoverboard27.jpg

Lenticular is cut and backed with chrome vinyl. I need to add another piece to the kicktail area but I want the seam to be hidden by the velcro so I'll wait until I have the graphics finalized.

Notice the honeycomb pattern is mirrored compared to the screen stuff. This is the pink lenticular from Phillipes. You can't simply flip it over like you can with the clear lenticular as the pattern looks completely different on the other side. Clock88's was also mirrored like this.

hoverboard24.jpg

hoverboard25.jpg

I take back what I said there. My lenticular is the old pink stuff and I just noticed that the pattern looks completely different on the other side so if you want the pattern running the correct direction you want the clear stuff to look sunken in and not floating.

Sorry I had no idea as I hadn't compared the two lenticulars until today.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME???
Ibought some Sommer's lenticular, and i noticed on one side the 3D effect is more animated and looks like it leaps off the surface,
And the other side looks a little less animated and the 3D effect looks sunken in.
so... which side should face up when applied to the board for it to be accurate?
PLEASE let me know or pm me.

Re: Kurtyboy's Hoverboard project 28 Jan 2017 - Board repaired and lenticular cut

What's wrong with this picture? :wacko

Whoever designed these magnets and battery has some issues. Magnets too big, brackets way off, and battery too small. :facepalm
hoverboard31.jpg

Re: Kurtyboy's Hoverboard project 28 Jan 2017 - Board repaired and lenticular cut

I'm about done repairing the board but I think I'm going to have trouble attaching a strip of lenticular around the edge as it's slightly warped. Also, I noticed the flat edge on these foam boards is wider than it should be.
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv142/kurtyboy2/props2/hoverboard26.jpg

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv142/kurtyboy2/props2/hoverboard27.jpg

Lenticular is cut and backed with chrome vinyl. I need to add another piece to the kicktail area but I want the seam to be hidden by the velcro so I'll wait until I have the graphics finalized.

Notice the honeycomb pattern is mirrored compared to the screen stuff. This is the pink lenticular from Phillipes. You can't simply flip it over like you can with the clear lenticular as the pattern looks completely different on the other side. Clock88's was also mirrored like this.

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv142/kurtyboy2/props2/hoverboard24.jpg

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv142/kurtyboy2/props2/hoverboard25.jpg
Looking good! Very smooth!

- - - Updated - - -

What's wrong with this picture? :wacko

Whoever designed these magnets and battery has some issues. Magnets too big, brackets way off, and battery too small. :facepalm
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv142/kurtyboy2/props2/hoverboard31.jpg

Yes I can see what you mean!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back