Kurtyboy's Hoverboard project 8 Feb 2017 - Vinyl and velcro almost done plus foot pad

kurtyboy

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Not much to show so far LOL! Should the hole go right through the wooden board and be covered by the magnets?
hoverboard1.jpg
Looks like I'll be forced to use my slightly damaged sheet of lenticular because I can't get my good sheet back from Clock88. Some people...

Last edited:
Re: Kurtyboy's hoverboard project

Not much to show so far LOL! Should the hole go right through the wooden board and be covered by the magnets?

Depends on your personal preference, I think. It may go all the way through, or not.

Attachments

• shot0004.jpg
    shot0004.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 252
  • shot0003.jpg
    shot0003.jpg
    633.9 KB · Views: 273
  • shot0002.jpg
    shot0002.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 270

If you have a paperchase near you, I have seen they were selling pink lenticular sheet but I believe they are only 10x10" square, would need to double check!

Any pictures of this stuff please? I can't find anything online. Is it the proper Sommers Plastic bubble stuff?

If you have a paperchase near you, I have seen they were selling pink lenticular sheet but I believe they are only 10x10" square, would need to double check!

Any pictures of this stuff please? I can't find anything online. Is it the proper Sommers Plastic bubble stuff?

Sadly I don't have a picture of it, I'd had to head to my local paperchase, I don't know when I'll go to the city center, but will make sure to take a picture when I go there. Probably sometime next week.

Kurtyboy's hoverboard project - 25 October

Do you know what they are selling it as? I searched the online store but there's nothing listed as 'lenticular'.

Small update. I drilled the handlebar hole right through and I asume it will be covered by the magnet.
hoverboard2.jpg

Started the very lengthy process of sealing/priming/filling/sanding the board to a glossy finish for paint.
hoverboard3.jpg

The hoveboard will join my 'Most Iconic' props mini-collection that's on display in my living room
most%20iconic%20props.jpg

I had a plaque made up a few years ago and have been trying to fill that gap ever since, but it's been one disappointment after another so I'm hoping it goes well this time round...
hoverboard4.jpg

I don't want this display to get too cluttered but I might squeeze this in there behind the board and Nikes. Someone in the USA had it signed for me at the same time as he had his own one signed. It's a pity Lloyd used a silver pen because even over four years later the ink has still smudged :(
doc1.jpg

And here's something I got from Roland recently. I like it a lot.
licenseplate1.jpg

Re: Kurtyboy's hoverboard project - 25 October

Nice display :) I don't think they sell it online, it's only at my local papershase, I'll have a look tonight if I manage to come back in time (I'm in Edinburgh right now haha)

I thought the 2015 license plates were just silver on orange. Is there a reason your is different?

I thought the 2015 license plates were just silver on orange. Is there a reason your is different?

There is a version that has this plate in BTTF2.

By the way I went to Paperchase, and got you 2 different lenticular sheet, they are 25.5cm x 20.4cm. One is baby pink, and one is hot pink. They are not self adhesive, that's the only problem, but they had quite a few. I'm sure you can fill a hoverboard with less than 10 of them (probably 9 as you'll probably have to find a way to hide the extremities under the velcro and such). It's night now, so the colours don't pop up really well, but it should give you an idea:

DSC_0660.jpg

DSC_0662.jpg

Kurtyboy's hoverboard project - 29 October

They look interesting but would need to see it in person to check it's an accurate pattern. Thanks for picking these up.

I made a sanding block for the bevels so I don't soften the edges too much.
hoverboard5.jpg

hoverboard7.jpg

hoverboard8.jpg

Still a lot of work to do. I think using PVA as a sealer was a big mistake as the slightest bit of moisture turns it to sh**t. So how in the hell am I supposed to do wetsanding??? Also not helping is the can of U-Pol high build primer I got from Halfords is faulty. It keeps spluttering, spraying huge blobs of paint and running onto my hand. Last time I tried taking a faulty can of spray paint back to Halfords (it was coming out in dark patches) they said we cannot take it back because you have opened it. So how are you supposed to know it's faulty until you try it???
hoverboard6.jpg

They're fully silver in BTTF 2 and 3 only. At the end of part 1 and the beginning of part 2 the number "3", its code bar and the word "CALIFORNIA" are golden.

Have you tried fiberglassing resin to seal the wood. I do this on my MDF sheets with a roller...it soaks into the MDF a little without it swelling and then I can wet sand to get a smooth finish...doing this also makes the MDF less prone to damage if it takes a knock cause it strenghtens it.

Hope this helps

Never thought to try that. Will it not run and 'pool' on the underside/drip?

I find the best thing to use on MDF is sanding sealer. It's mostly used for french polishing, but you actually get a finish that is like glass!

M

Your board looks super clean, nice project!
Where did you get your pink lenticular from? Rowland, Sommers?

Typical. Can't get it locally.

Since its cellulose won't it react with acrylic spray paints?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back