Nautilus Kit

Yes, I am Mr. B. and I honestly don't know how any Nautilus fan can ignore your model. The price imho is really low for all the work you guys put into.
I built the Nautilus as a 3D model some years ago and know your pain ...

So looking forward to receiving your model!

Yes, I am Mr. B. and I honestly don't know how any Nautilus fan can ignore your model. The price imho is really low for all the work you guys put into.
I built the Nautilus as a 3D model some years ago and know your pain ...

So looking forward to receiving your model!

Hi,and thank you.

Well as promised just a couple of pics of the WIP as we started late today on it.

I started the rear section.

2017-02-28 15.45.08.jpg2017-02-28 16.16.07.jpg2017-02-28 16.25.01.jpg

And Steve started on the forward section.

2017-02-28 16.24.38.jpg

So glad we did as we found a couple of minor errors and there now rectified. And for a change not all mine.

Will keep you posted.

Jon

I wish I had somewhere to put one!

Mind you, I can't guarantee that I won't get one after I've seen the finished article in the flesh...

;)

Hi Doc,

Not long now before it's complete.

Good progress today after a few more minor glitches and fixes.

2017-03-01 10.51.10.jpg2017-03-01 10.52.25.jpg2017-03-01 11.54.16.jpg2017-03-01 12.32.40.jpg2017-03-01 12.32.54.jpg2017-03-01 12.33.30.jpg2017-03-01 14.35.57.jpg

The discolouration on Nemo's cabin wall "perspex" is the clear protective film.

It's actually a bit further on as the whole internal structure is complete all bar the dive Chamber as we're still working on the mould.

You're welcome Jon. I hope to have this delivered for my birthday in April.

I don't think that will be a problem Jim.

Would the structural integrity be compromised, if one would leave out the perspex parts?

No it wouldn't but it will leave slots where the tabs go and also leave the Map Room and Wheel House open to each other also the spiral stairs would end up floating as they are secured in the dive prep room and the wheel house floor.

2017-03-02 14.34.28.jpg2017-03-02 14.34.55.jpg2017-03-02 14.35.14.jpg

2017-03-02 11.08.19.jpg2017-03-02 12.22.34.jpg2017-03-02 14.39.00.jpg

Some shots of the clear perspex bits.
Spiral staircase.
Hand rail being held around a paint pot to dry to help it fit into the wheel house behind the pilot.
And finally slow progress today but it's coming along.

YOU'RE KILLING ME JON! I was re-reading this entire tread and just spotted that little comment slipped in there. I have QMX's BDR and look forward to seeing what you come up with for Serenity.

That made me laugh.

I thought when you didn't say anything when I posted it first off that you'd got the hump or just dismissed it and wouldn't rise to the bait.:devil

In all honesty that's a way off as I've probably only spent about 6 - 8 months on that so far.

Serenity suffers from the same thing as The Nautilus in so much as the film set wont fit in to the physical shape / size of the ship and there's at least 3 variants of ship.

Must admit that the QMX ship is stunning and am so jealous!

Progress was slow today as Steve was making the final tweaks to parts as we were going and there was a fair bit of stop start re-cutting bits. I'll have to include at least 3 of the curved hand rails as the first 2 attempts crumbled. Ended up wetting the middle sections laying it on sellotape and then gently coaxing it round the paint pot. Hopefully it will be dry tomorrow if it's not frozen overnight and I'll crack on.

Hopefully more pics tomorrow of the rework of the dive chamber and some of the exterior structure going on.

That made me laugh. Serenity suffers from the same thing as The Nautilus in so much as the film set wont fit in to the physical shape / size of the ship and there's at least 3 variants of ship.

Cant wait to see what you have for Serenity. Maybe start another thread?

Did you ever consider picking up a set of QMx's Serenity cut-away posters? They did a great job fitting everything into the ship's hull.

Last edited:
Cant wait to see what you have for Serenity. Maybe start another thread?

Did you ever consider picking up a set of QMx's Serenity cut-away posters? They did a great job fitting everything into the ship's hull.

I've got a few other projects that I need to get out before I carry on with Serenity or my wife will throttle me.

TBH it never crossed my mind about the posters. Probably because I'd seen that much, it was information overload. I had talked to a couple of artist though who had done something similar but they said they had used a bit of artistic licence when it boiled down to it.

Jon, I was wondering if you had pictures of the box art for the Nautilus kit?

Hi Jim,

It comes in a plain brown box currently.

If you know what I mean "nudge, nudge, wink, wink"

Sorry for no Pics yesterday or today. Yesterday I was on my own as Steve has gone back home and I've been trying to sort out new transport after my wife wrote off our van. Bit of a treck out today but we've finally got an old jalopy as a run around for now. Tomorrow is going to be a fullish day on the outside of the tub placing most of the ribs and stringers on.

Re done the dive chamber master and tunnel as I wasn't happy with the first one.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh!

The trick with wetting the rail and wrapping it round the paint pot worked out OK.

Just don't stick the rail to the tape, use the non sticky side!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back