Sliders Timer...Egyptian Timer!!

Slider

Can you spot the real prop??

I can't believe the luck.....
I ran across a guy who owns one of the "hero" props from season 5 (I think).
He was kind enough to loan it to me to use as a reference for building my replica Timers. I spoke to the guy who built the Timer originally and that too was quite interesting.

I must say this prop was very nicely built. You can tell some thought went into making this....which I think is usually, not the norm for t.v. props....I've seen where most times they look good on film...not so hot in person.

What I think is most unusual is this prop has a red cover that is cut from a CNC machine, as well as the opening in the remote casing....and the cover fits perfectly in the opening. 2 days, and 10 remotes later....I was able to duplicate this on my own CNC machine so I can duplicate this over and over.

Of course, anyone who's into these Timers knows....the Scarab is the main piece to this Timer. I must confess, I still don't know how he did that. I had asked him about it but, he didn't recall. He thought he may have chemically etched it, but couldn't remember.

So, can you tell which is the real prop and which is the replica?

I'm still new to posting photos, and I think the server changed things on me, I can't figure how to post the full photo like I did before....It gives a thumbnail now for some stupid reason.

I am going to say it's the middle one, the buttons like to be discolored with age. Got to tell you they look flawless..

Wonderful he did and you did a great job recreating them.

What CNC machine did you use? I really don't know much on the hobby side of CNC machines.

Thanks guy,
You are correct, it is the middle one. (darn buttons)

I have a small CNC machine made by a company called Black Labs. They no longer sell them anymore, unfortunately. Great machine though. I actually have two of them. It's great for small parts making, routing, engraving, most anything I'll ever need to do......

I'm just really happy to have had a real prop for reference. It's really amasing what you "think" you see on screen and what is actually there. It's a lot different than what I would have made without it. I'm sure I could have gotten it close...but, the quality, as they say.....is in the details.

He also sent me the prototype of the "Jensen" Timer used in a few eps. I'll be making that next.

Just when I had given up on seeing any good timer replicas you show up! Just wow is all I can say, I've tried and tried countless times to try to make this prop and all I came up with was a pile of plastic. Those are Perfect, thats all I can say. I can't wait to see more.

William

Thanks to you too BTTF!

I have quite a pile of plastic myself. I'm estimating 10 cases wasted trying to line up the CNC program. I used a CAD program to create my templates then converted the code for the machine.....but, dang.... ever try to get a CNC machine to cut out a flat plane on a curved object?

By the way, I have the electronics built and installed but, I'm still in the process of programming the microprocessor chip that drives it all. So, as of today it's not operational. I should have it complete in the next week or two.

I molded the original one.

I should probably say though, I kinda agreed to changing it in some way on the ones I'll sell. Nobody seemed to care either way. The prop owner gave me permission to mold it and the guy who designed and made it even told me he didn't care, and if he did, he didn't have the authority to tell me not to anyway. All the same, I didn't feel right about it.

The only concern is one I expressed to the prop owner that if I used this exact one then that would take away from the uniqueness of his prop.....and quite honestly, it's the scarab that makes the prop as special as it is. I also felt that with an exact copy it would surly be recast in the real world and then you'd more than likely have people selling these on Ebay as the real deal and end up conning people out of money.

I do have a version of the scarab I carved out on the CNC that's nearly identical that I am planning to use. To the average person....they would swear it's the real thing, yet to me or others familar with the real prop, could confirm it's authenticity very easily.

Probably a longer answer than you were looking for....just thought I should make that point real clear before I got accused of ripping someone off.

Seconded...

I sent slider an email after he originally posted and asked if he would consider making/selling copies of the scarab. He declined. :unsure

His choice, I realize, but that's the one part (even slightly modified to protect the original as a tell) that will keep a LOT of people from making their own, including me. It's a shame that he wouldn't share...

Last edited:
Hi guys.

Yeah, this thread is kinda old but, I still make them when I can. I've been selling both The Egyptian and Original Timers since I built them. The Original is $800 and the Egyptian is $700. Unfortunately, I don't get a lot of extra time to make these. I just came out with a few new products for my company that I've been designing the past year and it's selling like flap jacks. :love So, it kinda takes away from Timer building.

If anyone is interested, and don't mind a lenghty wait, let me know and I can either put you on a list for when I have something ready or I can take an order and try to estimate a wait time.

Harbinger,
I hope I didn't give you the wrong idea about me.

Please understand..... It's not that I don't want to share.

As for the original Scarab,
I was loaned the Original Egyptian Timer prop to use for making the replicas. I was allowed to tear it apart to my hearts content, with the understanding I didn't recast the Scarab and sell it. I made the promise, and I kept it.

As for my version,
I've had many request from people wanting me to sell just the Scarab and I've declined. I only ask people understand. I run a fulltime business and I simply don't have the time. (for a lot of things for that matter)

Thanks for the update on the topic, and congrats on the way your buidness is going, you'll be getting a PM from me about the waiting list sometime in the future, or I think I still have your e mail, thanks again!

so can you post some pics of the inside of the timers for all to see. that would be so awsome and where did you get the bullet shaped things for the emmiters i need to get some for my timer

Just wondering how you made those scarab's, they are flawless.

From the looks of the picture of the three timers
the Scarab's look like the original was photo etched.
Which is an acid etching process on magnesium plate
this type of plate is used to hot stamp gold foil on book covers

Any good printing company should be able to do this

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back