SirCharles77's Hasbro Millennium Falcon Conversion - COMPLETED!!!

Re: SirCharles77's Hasbro Millennium Falcon Conversion

Alrighty then!! So about 2 weeks ago I posted that I had a dilemma regarding the panavise camera mount I wanted to use. I was worried about how to hook it into the model to support the structure of it without the model warping. Well I think I came up with a pretty awesome solution!

So I was looking at the interior of the model and I noticed the 6 support pillars that span the middle of the model have about a 1" space between the walls that run up the length of the support beams.
qlXQzMnD70aUGf8jFboWNxEA=w2200-h1238-no?authuser=0.jpg

zwMpsQoPWOxgkLASa_wCqUlQ=w2306-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

So I was thinking, that row of pillars it the optimal place to support this model from. That way the weight of the model is distributed fairly evenly, its in a central location so the model will balance pretty well, and it seemed to be easy to design for. So this is what I came up with.

I designed this model and printed it out. This is the first model I made on my new 3d printer btw!
zx5YrMm6H8Kbw5Z8AQQ007Xw=w2200-h1238-no?authuser=0.jpg

It fits together like this. The 6 holes are perfectly lined up with the 6 pillars in the falcon and the tall peg lines up with the spot on the model that I wanted to cut out my hole.
wem08juerWItQW5d8RkOfDXg=w2306-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

Here's how it fits into the model.
i6zOzyr5q4zD-N-nAVz9R3xw=w2306-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

You can see here where it fits with the existing turret.
fdu5PLxOi7qLEISZpCQej6Jw=w2306-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

Here's a shot if it with the top together. The gap in those pillar walls on the right is because I didn't have it squeezed together enough.
7zbmc028qkVs8bspYOT1XzSw=w2306-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

Then I printed out these 2 little guys. They have teeth on them that are opposing so that when they are pressed together they create tension and stop the other from moving.
The smaller one goes on my camera mount, the larger ones goes on the end of the mount peg on my support model.
HDH9GHgdGZw1G_PvOsIeyHoQ=w2306-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

As you can see here...
qe9no62jEN5Va040wTHwzxMg=w2306-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

Also note the hole that I cut out of the Falcon turret is minimal. I had a thought to design it so that it looks mostly like the turret and then replace the whole thing but it would be too much work for this project. Maybe if I ever do another one...
DKBmph0B8E4VgAMV_5MKuISw=w2306-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

And here is where the small washer goes.
MZTmJRG-9bBE_sBVaf8_g7pYw=w730-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

KafrwzhwD-0LQw4Ubb63UN6pQ=w730-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

Next I went to the store and purchased some hardware. Got a 3 pack of 1/4" coupling nuts and a 1/4" x 12" threaded rod. The panavise mount uses a 1/4" thread.
vqkYI8D4U7NmDclS02XKTB5w=w2306-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

I cut 2 pieces of the threaded rod off small enough to use with the coupling nuts.
wmG5eWnZC2AwtVkMIwMy6D_w=w2306-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

Those go together as such...
YSTrV1Ok1pxzRGQePV5miAyQ=w2306-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

And that becomes the post that my new 3d printed mount will rest on.
Ef-BggZe4ab6D3UnygrrJUYKA=w730-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

Now because it's not screwed in, I can take the falcon off the mount with ease and look at it or display it someplace else!

Next I got a nice sturdy board about the right size to be a stand for the Falcon and screwed my panavise mount into it.
XLpl2psYROovohSJYDGVvsrw=w2306-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

And here it is all put together! You can see the teeth at work in this picture. They work amazingly well!
RohiyDQwKA9ijis6oijTwF0yw=w730-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

7aUn9i5swxOoC98DWm-I_rJw=w2306-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

The last step will be to design a cover for the stand so that it's not just resting on a piece of wood. I was thinking death star surface but I have seen that done a few times. Would also be cool to do a tatooine landscape. But I am not sure how to get it to really look like sand and stay put. I am going to think on that one a bit more.

Last edited:

A Tatooine landscape would be cool.
Just use some kind of air-hardening clay to sculpt some dunes, then spray it with one of those textured paints you can buy at Hobby Lobby.
If they don't have one in a sand color, just buy one with the right texture and paint a sand color over top of it.

This display mount is the bee's knees, btw.

Looks awesome, glad to hear the new printer is working out well for you too.

I love it. I'm wishing I had a 3D printer now.

Is that PanaVise mount the PV827-09 model?

Last edited:

that armature/support system is great. I suppose you could design it to fit any number of those pillars, it wouldn't have to be just horizontal across the middle, that way you could place the panvise mount anywhere on the ship, rather than in the middle.

Love the design you came up with to mount this! Any plans on making this support part available to the masses?

I would pay for a set of printed panels if you made them available.

I would pay for a set of printed panels if you made them available.

Are you referring to 3d printed panel templates? I dont have any plans to build them that way. The 3d printed material I have wouldnt be good for that. And honestly I have spent too much time on this model as it is. I might still do a vector file that can be printed on styrene or paper and then cut out. But that would be the most effort I have time to put into this one.

Are you referring to 3d printed panel templates? I dont have any plans to build them that way. The 3d printed material I have wouldnt be good for that. And honestly I have spent too much time on this model as it is. I might still do a vector file that can be printed on styrene or paper and then cut out. But that would be the most effort I have time to put into this one.

Templates are what I meant, not 3d printed.

So I am getting ready to build my Falcon. And put it all together and I have one last thing I need to figure out...running lights.

Does anyone have info on where all of the exterior lights go on the Falcon? There are 2 headlights on the front of the mandibles, 2 lights inside the jaw box, and then I know there are a bunch of red and white lights around the bottom of the hull but I don't have a good image to show where they all go.

Does anyone have any good info on this? A image of the bottom of the hull with them called out would be ideal.

The only lights the 32in model had were the 2 mandible headlights. With the refurbishment of the 5ft model for The Empire Strikes Back lights were installed into the mandibles as well as the underside. The images I've attached only show one side but they are mirrored on the opposite side.

5ft lights.jpg 5ft lights (rear).jpg

Hey Sir Charles, Nice building love the 3D printed mods, well done.

Have a look at my post my building with lighting test: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=251528&p=3849005&viewfull=1#post3849005
I've used this template, by Mark Kozik:

landing_lights.gif

Hope its helps ;)

MB.

So I am getting ready to build my Falcon. And put it all together and I have one last thing I need to figure out...running lights.

Does anyone have info on where all of the exterior lights go on the Falcon? There are 2 headlights on the front of the mandibles, 2 lights inside the jaw box, and then I know there are a bunch of red and white lights around the bottom of the hull but I don't have a good image to show where they all go.

Does anyone have any good info on this? A image of the bottom of the hull with them called out would be ideal.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back