SirCharles77's Hasbro Millennium Falcon Conversion - COMPLETED!!!

Re: SirCharles77's Hasbro Millennium Falcon Conversion

I love the work you are doing. How did you cut the notches in your hull panels? I want to replace the sticker locations with styrene, but I rue the thought of cutting all those little notches by hand.
I created templates using paper and doing a rubbing. Then I cut them out of standard for sale signs you would get from Home Depot. And I did cut them out all by hand. Surprisingly that part was far less tedious than masking off all of these panels for painting!

If you look earlier in my build I shared the templates I made for the panels. You can print em out and use as stencils on your plastic. Won't save a lot of your time but will save some!

Ok lets keep the updates flowing!!

Next for me was starting to apply a coat of oils using Windsor & Newton Lamp Black fast drying oils and a microfiber cloth with some Q-tips. So I went through all of the smaller parts first. With plans to do the hull last.

Here are a few pieces I did.
Before:
Po0-u6kqrkYfjfqz7JRE1EwhTcmy9F9ZmmZko=w840-h473-no.jpg

After
HCmMydfTawrOEUxmTo7V8zudn4481RBfV2id8=w840-h473-no.jpg

Before:
2fIrUayKag9op0g-AAicEfZCVImA_5z84N2IQ=w840-h473-no.jpg

During:
YGsRwTsHCGVUAMBRYVMDSpjoGuvPve_EzcK5o=w840-h473-no.jpg

After:
FsnGj1fdoGu9zHExcWaMMZCSDtWLmeU8fKqXs=w840-h473-no.jpg

And Finally...Before:
sSH00ekE8a9AQJEEIkNEpR3tJqJlpmJH3XY1o=w840-h473-no.jpg

During:
XUUaarDMdhmg_PL-lWH_NM5ZMJet12iL5NFV0=w840-h473-no.jpg

After:
iwxkSgzZuYSIYkNvh4xAQAjsYCJT75HuWpCQg=w840-h473-no.jpg

And here are all of the parts after applying oils.
H10gSSQD7vxGEykt1uRi8__TYthCZz3QBkfgE=w840-h473-no.jpg

One problem with this plan I discovered is that I should have painted any colored panels before doing the oils!!! Luckily there are only a couple on the parts that I already oiled that I had to touch up. So I masked those off, painted the panels, and then applied oils after the fact to get it to match. Worked pretty well.
l1TfNJgKbuAk1OZPthIa54wpZC9QBXoxlyDlE=w840-h473-no.jpg

UjhJCAvOxNOnOHQSJzpvFcynHofHE3wBLdDqE=w840-h473-no.jpg

QMBxuhN-QKN-oDyS0tw2vf6aM4GExkIPN8SZM=w840-h473-no.jpg

7lIpvMVxxAwPiOFCyqERPrMH2qUh5iPO66QNg=w840-h473-no.jpg

6RB8BzCLDXhBedTQyeKu2gKfhPS52NNoJSoMc=w840-h473-no.jpg

AUCl8CULDhMVHHHUhKxMF93zekK9C9Vnr2mYk=w840-h473-no.jpg

Super glad I discovered this mistake BEFORE I starting applying oils to the main hull!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Also I took this picture to post it just so I could show off the difference between the base model and the model after painting Insignia White over the black wash. Base colors are surprisingly close, but you can really see the details pop thanks to that black base coat!
kKJqNOBfe1gzap_h1DQJ27ssxGnBx5yb1AcnU=w840-h473-no.jpg

Last edited:

I created templates using paper and doing a rubbing. Then I cut them out of standard for sale signs you would get from Home Depot. And I did cut them out all by hand. Surprisingly that part was far less tedious than masking off all of these panels for painting!

If you look earlier in my build I shared the templates I made for the panels. You can print em out and use as stencils on your plastic. Won't save a lot of your time but will save some!

Thank you! I found them on page 6. Are there any printing instructions to get them the right size?

If you print them to the scale the image is saved in it should be correct size. I print them directly from Photoshop at 100% scale and they come out perfect.

I got them printed, and they look great! this weekend I will try to get them cut out. Do you know it there is a template anywhere to scratch build the satellite antenna mount? I am trying to be as accurate as I can be without sending my kids' college money to Shapeways...

No idea on a template, but I am selling my antenna mount if your interested. PM me.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Another update incoming!!!

I have been spending a lot of time lately masking off and painting panels on the hull! I started with the bottom as it's not going to be as seen. Figured I would get some practice on it before I do the top. What I have learned...masking off the panels is the MOST tedious part of this project to date!!! Especially when you are a perfectionist like me. And honestly its no where near as good as I want it to be!! Fighting the paint bleeding into seams of the mask and tape is painful!

Here are a few images of some areas I masked. Won't bore you with them all.
N43HRyG76hevpzuZGXOy1mcF2iToLJ0fJgGxI=w840-h473-no.jpg

7an7Hi0qKswtIF3cOzFGznsg=w2200-h1238-no?authuser=0.jpg

xD1GsWlOGUFwmOfw45SWZdyA=w2306-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

Then I painted again with thinned Tamiya paints and a brush. These pics are after only the first coat. I think I did about 2-3 more coats after this. You will see it better what the final look is later.
pLYfU_ChI_F0mBm8o9r5D1y4C7VUqgDJAyasg=w840-h473-no.jpg

tuJe5l2DWft1-v5P6welDRYw=w2200-h1238-no?authuser=0.jpg

VXb_VUtaBY4pzXRg8O4s4SBQ=w2306-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

In the process of masking and painting I realized I missed a few hoses. Needed something I could add on without cutting the hull to make room. Found a wire from an old laptop I scrapped for parts and cut these and replaced it.
10RBg5xEPJVxWVOpuu-yDqt4iMf6ve19FfGwg=w840-h473-no.jpg

jliEMh9yVgdaj_bTtVO4iMv1HRsDRaS1UFaig=w840-h473-no.jpg

zaYDEzagGUMGsoN0BHwqBXb9PD-CLxZOPFjp4=w840-h473-no.jpg

Here is the bottom after doing all of the red and yellow.
1JtuRY1X3hxL1JCDm2Nj-Ah37UzPwRLTx4PM=w840-h1494-no.jpg

MRYez9JRdj0oS1NC1WKKqQ9hvmhLgBqRypPzI=w840-h473-no.jpg

NxaaZCN2AWuch-_Bm6zBY_54axvs0nUV2uYsg=w840-h473-no.jpg

Then I did the top.
Mrdslk3sr94guNLLpNbI6j-CkwhVhFfV6FjoM=w840-h473-no.jpg

4CMhN8Bd_Vn0sjEM8niB9NN-QSFJmABrwngWY=w840-h473-no.jpg

4x7N5bTAnWZ-p1VekZRynCqkywOr2FOXOo9j4=w840-h473-no.jpg

And the top after final red panels.
bCucJzYMPPw8kjx5FypdplpudWRGKfdZtMjVk=w840-h473-no.jpg

More updates in a bit.

Last edited:

Wow. Looking really really great.

whats the blue stuff you're using for masking?
Is it possible to paint them by hand ?

whats the blue stuff you're using for masking?

Masking fluid, also called liquid mask. there is various brands and makes, His looks like MicroMask, its blue in color like that. Depending what you are working with you can use thinned white glue for a same use.

Last edited:

That is correct I am using MicroMask. It works pretty good. Sometimes it's a little hard to get off but usually it's good.

If you have an airbrush (or even if not, can be done with a brush too) apply a coat of "Future" to the mask. The clear coat will seal the edge of the tape, preventing bleed through. Since it is clear, if IT bleeds through, no worries.

The varying sheen will be consolidated at some point with a flat (matte) clear coat application.

Regards, Robert

It's been awhile again!! I seem to have a tendency to work for a while and go dark and then do big updates all at once! HAHA

Essentially all I have been doing for the last month is slowly trying to get the paint job done on this baby. Masking off all of those panels and painting them was very time consuming!! Way more than I thought it would be but it is now done!!! Here are some various pics of my girl over the course of that process.
Dto6n8HLzgJR169WubDHMO6VsavBdE2HWJVo=w840-h1494-no.jpg

Nf2bklaDf16DRE1LvTm7afdiTr6bqGhJ7P06A=w840-h473-no.jpg

fNUwg6Wdw2leUW4Cntar_kSjiT2Wpy6Ju1-pk=w840-h473-no.jpg

nvpvnPxfrYu56Kwlz0h2hhL9WBbkCUCy5HOg=w840-h1494-no.jpg

qg1DfbCV33qJyAbvddXf3mjC-1u9sJsEi3X0M=w840-h473-no.jpg

JvXen6cu6PlLtUCxSML8dc5P3DS7Oe8lgu2lc=w840-h473-no.jpg

Ht-veQjSg7fIswhJKKTskFqOHNL_ZE3WRykYk=w840-h473-no.jpg

wSQhvLSI4ISNBpToEUYdzsJ2piuYz4bOksvU=w840-h1494-no.jpg

FkMw2GzkP1zEk2tE2YFdpsubMETNfbHRsUaa0=w840-h473-no.jpg

Here is the bottom with all panel painting finished!
zjV1HqrS_OuX9tNtA7FpFlag2F-vy3OYxJu0=w840-h1494-no.jpg

Next it was time to start on the top.
AWUKF-jROlztShk19lRm-Z2fsq1M7w3umD1Q=w840-h1494-no.jpg

UfecRAeJujnFBcyBxH9XxsX14JpsFEzqZXmME=w840-h473-no.jpg

_g8Slr1XZTlvxPHPs_ey4PHb4exIeRMSWkeD0=w840-h473-no.jpg

And here is the top with all panels painted and ready for weathering!!
17QrFKqvsFMjGYIB_P3BaBw1SYjpK3vthxzc=w840-h1494-no.jpg

QoerwoFiGTTRGK0r4bzpn6ZlSCtwlBOGqzRkk=w840-h473-no.jpg

eM4EcwxBENqECrWMAfyVrklN47yrnhMQb9QOo=w840-h473-no.jpg

Next step is weathering!! The scary part! Will get to that in a post soon.

Last edited:

So I had a problem. My next step was to start weathering. I planned to use the oil technique that I showed earlier in this thread which worked great on my test panel. I attempted it on the bottom left mandible to see how it went and it was too dark! Way darker than it was on my test piece which had me concerned!
Here are some shots of that.
h00UY8Fz0i7LXmIUFtpBC4KmwNyfS5CxSzgU8=w840-h473-no.jpg

8PBu5JddEIUJQGtH-S1aUxM_-rpTAeZluJ3EM=w840-h473-no.jpg

So I thought that maybe a dull coat would make it not soak in as much. So I did a dull coat over the piece and tested it again and its even darker!!
tBCnPnvSi0cPIiDfS25cggQlcexpyCaRwDJkM=w840-h473-no.jpg

You can see my test panel below this shot. I am very confused as to why this happened!! I used the exact same process both times and yet different results. This is why I am so scared of painting!!! Such a finicky thing!
wtwYuUw6gWNsPIGFJe9gjSGuooyaKsQ4pfJeI=w840-h473-no.jpg

Well I decided to try something different and got much closer to the results that I was expecting. So for this one I used the regular oils (As opposed to the fast drying ones).

First I brushed over the surface with some turps to get it wet.

Then lightly put down oils in the areas where I wanted it to be heavier, and then brushed the oils in with a little more turps on my brush.

Then let it dry for a few minutes. (You don't want it to be completely dry but you don't want it really wet either.) Then rub off the oils with a microfiber cloth. You can use the rubbing to really clean it up in some areas or leave it heavy in others.

It's MUCH easier to control using this method and it allows me to control the heaviness of the oils a lot better! I can do it in layers this way to get it thicker or thinner in areas and I don't have to worry so much about overdoing it on accident. Here is how it looked.
GHsSlmqJzXx-_ZNXcezcUREWjw3ZwZMXK9XM=w840-h1494-no.jpg

G0_BqeOzN6pI1pD3-AzIG7oYgAIpvrnxAAKI=w840-h1494-no.jpg

So now that I know how I am doing it....again...time to fix the mistake! I masked off the area I screwed up, and repainted it with a coat of Insignia White, then masked off the panels again and re-painted them to get back to where I was and added another dull coat layer. Very little difference between it and the areas I didn't redo this process on.
5ftoodan0dJTGM3XbB3xPBOM_E1BnZMRGkv2U=w840-h473-no.jpg

Ronv5qd2HcHgyZaZuvdSq_-cMOvmKnusfhLYg=w840-h473-no.jpg

G48HJQJVBzo1cp12kvvVZCbDCJ75SgGPL4lWg=w840-h473-no.jpg

Now on to actual weathering!!

Last edited:

Nice to see you re-did the oil weathering there. It was too dark indeed. What will you use for the next wash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I explained I am using the regular oils with turps for the wash. Only doing it in layers when needed or if I want an area darker.

Personally, I am not a fan of putting a thin layer on and then wiping it away. I am also not a fan of darkened panel lines. If you want some great technique, the the fitchenfoo vids on YouTube. Or that one tantive 4 painting masterclass video.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Are you talking about this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wreblsPaUhU

Because that's what I am doing. This video is where I got the idea. I am just expanding on it to use some oils lightly first just to get a bit of dirt look into the crevices before I use this method to get streaks.

Personally, I am not a fan of putting a think layer on and then wiping it away. I am also not a fan of darkened panel lines. If you want some great technique, the the fitchenfoo vids on YouTube. Or that one tantive 4 painting masterclass video.

So on that note, here is another update.

This is the turps\oil\turps\wipe method I described earlier put into practice.

Dropped some oils on in the crevices.
b8K_66KYFDDPkiKQa0YG3hNFiKiaJt5Ye5EcM=w840-h473-no.jpg

Wiped over it with turps. And as you can see in the bottom right of that section I wiped away part before I took this pic so you could see the result in comparison.
ZGKMBDyYg9uqy_PQ5G1JNpR4DqwCfZ23ejISo=w840-h473-no.jpg

Here she is with just that same top right section done. I will note that in this first part I accidentally forgot to put turps down first, AND I left it on to dry too long before I started wiping it away. As a result you will notice that it is darker than I liked and the middle areas where the oil was the thinnest is darker in spots than the edges where I wanted it. This sucks. But at this point I am just working around it. I could easily mask it off and fix it but to the bare eye its not that visible, and the way I am displaying this one you will rarely see the bottom anyway. I will post a pic of an area I did correctly next so you can see the results.
x9oQ1hZJEEt-mke379F1HQuxy8bkwpSUGho4=w840-h1494-no.jpg

Here are some areas done correctly.
xD3n1z9aBqanWIEPm2uu6yJyqWcF4V1oB9CI0=w840-h473-no.jpg

a3XWWH7OZZsUBG6TUydN4Z8Zb39iKx2O-QJh0=w840-h473-no.jpg

O2io0_uTZyFa0mTp0_g4cSaf-PS7Qjs77S-Dg=w840-h473-no.jpg

I didnt use any other colors when doing this like Blue or Rust. If I did it would probably add a nice discoloration to these crevices. Maybe next time I will add those.

Last edited:

Are you talking about this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wreblsPaUhU

Because that's what I am doing. This video is where I got the idea. I am just expanding on it to use some oils lightly first just to get a bit of dirt look into the crevices before I use this method to get streaks.
One thing I do when I do oils is that I also use some dabs of u.n. white (it's basicall
4ba799da82cfa94271129301f6d3835a.jpg
y the basic coat) and it adds highlights. That way I'm not just darkening it. You really don't want to go too dark. Ideally, you want depth, not dark.

Here's my Bandai falcon that I'm fairly happy with

I agree with not going too dark! That's why I went away from the fast drying oil rubbing methid. It's just making it too dark. Your Bandai falcon looks great! I hope mine looks half that good when I am done!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back