Transformers Devastation (game)

Deric

Sr Member
Anyone pick this up? It's nice to get a G1 style game. The game is not without it's issues. I would be completely lost without the map but dismissed it as cybertronian GPS lol. It does become a bit of a button smasher after a bit but the nostalgia factor is a home run. The cel shading looks really good on all platforms. My only complaint on the characters is Megatron's vents or whatnot on his forehead aren't dark enough and Primes face plate movement moves like a speaker animation. Outside of those complaints I felt like a little kid again playing the game. It felt like a real cartoon. I would have loved it if they planned some dlc with more missions or additional characters.

Also sorry if there is already a thread on this but I searched and found none.

I'm still waiting for amazon to freaking ship mine. They're shipping is completely messed up lately. One complaint i hear is the voices are off but folks fail to realize that it's been 30 years since G1 and those actors aren't as young as they were so these voices put a lot of stress. I also heard the writing missed at times, kinda wish they could have gotten Flint Dille or another G1 writer in for some parts as I heard it was Megatron and Starscream's banter that wasn't right.

Wait, Starscream's banter? Isn't Chris Latta dead? That could explain some of the "the voices are off" comments.

Chris died in 1994, the closest we've gotten was the voice in Transformers Animated by Tom Kenny and it still isn't the same. Honestly the best imitation of Latta was the guy who did Cobra Commander in GI Joe Resolute. If you look at the G1 Cast there was literally only about 10 actors with Peter Cullen and Frank Welker providing most of them. A good few of them actually got back together for Transformers Animated and the Cybertron games but you never get them all in one place outside of Botcon. We've also lost a few over the years: Latta, scatman, orson welles, Nimoy and probably a few others that were older. The best imitation of a G1 actor is the dude who plays Jazz in the Cybertron games.

I've been watching parts of it online and I love that they gave the generic enemies forms that look right for G1: the ground soldier cars look like the toys just how they transform. I am annoyed that once again Megatron is a tank but it makes more sense than him being a gun since he only got that mold as a toy since they were reusing stuff they had laying around back then. So i finished watching a playthru and I really hope it earns a 2nd game with more characters from G1 in it. This is as good as it's going to get since they crapped on the Cybertron games by linking it to bayformers. They actually linked this one into the G1 cartoon's timeline around Season 2 with neat little hints.

Last edited:
^ We've also lost Don Messick, Lionel Stander, Robert Stack, Casey Kasem, Roger Carmel... *sigh*

As for the gameplay, it looks a lot like Dynasty Warriors, which I rather like. Button-mashey, but in a way that I enjoy. I really, really want to support this, if only to demonstrate yet again to Hasbro that people prefer G1 to Bay.

--Jonah

Honestly this is what I had envisioned the 3rd cybertron game after Fall of cybertron to look like: G1 based but with that studio closing another company got it and sold out to Bayformers. I'm waiting for it to go down in price used before i get it. I love that on IMDB Vince Dicola who did the music for the animated movie gets writing credit because they used some of his music in the game. This also shows you how popular G1 is in Japan which is the entire thing. Had this been an american made game it'd probably look either like bayformers or the last few crappy cgi cartoons they did. I haven't even played it yet and i'm ready for a sequel lol

I'm vaguely curious how many other folks on here "continued" their G1 collections past when the series ended States-side with the Japan-produced Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory? I always liked seeing the way it might have gone, versus "The Rebirth" that we got here. :rolleyes

--Jonah

I actually just got the Japanese headmasters and our G1 in box sets and am going to move on to the other G1 japanese series. My buddy actually had them on vhs fan subs back in the 90s along with the japanese beastwars. That said he's also got an entire room in his house that's transformers from the US and japan. He made a lot of money once bringing over Japanese fortress maximus figures he got cheap there and resold for big bucks. I'm looking into getting the G1 comics that are newer, i have nearly all the originals and them in the latest trade paperbacks. I'm still wishing for a GI Joe/Transformers crossover toy line.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back