Arkham Origins - Batman, Mk I

No room in my house, so I'm going to put this project on hold until I get a larger space all to myself. Because in the next few steps require a mannequin. Mainly the torso.

Still alive...just been REALLY busy with school and work. Kinda hard to work in between the two. Plus I'm still searching around and trying to find new techniques and tools that can help me further my progress. I just got a book called "Foamsmith: How to create foam armor costumes" by Bill Doran. You get all this info -around 183 pages- of painting, tools, straps, and lights. It's not expensive...only $10. But it's been helpful. ^^ Now If i only have that time.....

So I got back to making the biceps and I ran into some hiccups.

As you can see, I first create the foam piece and then apply that onto a bigger flat piece to give it that overlapping effect from my first attempt. I don't know how to rotate the image, so please bear with me. IMG_7891.JPG

I then decided to use the "ductape dummy" method for more of an accurate depiction of the shape of my arm. then drew-on the details.IMG_7745.JPG

After detailing,I then cut out the pieces and used them as a template,cut out the foam and heated it.
IMG_7746.JPGIMG_7747.JPGIMG_7754.JPG

Problem: I'm not going to paint this, instead, I'm going to attach a textured vinyl that looks like Kevlar armor, but I don't know where to get it. Secondly, the base that this is supposed to be glued on has to be of a sturdy material other than flimsy 5mm foam. lastly, I'm still experimenting on the edge details, the hardest part in the arm-build, I could just cut the lines out and heat it to give it more definition, but I want to hear from you guys since you have more experience in this field.

Okay, so I started out by getting the fabric at Joanss. I was looking for a pleather like material that looked....tactical. Luckily, I came across one, I'll let you know what what material it was in later posts. But after getting about 2yrds worth, I went to cutting. I began dremaling the sides of the foam as usual, but this time, getting a more deeper groove.
IMG_8650.JPGIMG_8649.JPG

After cutting the material, I sprayed the adhesive and stuck it on the foam. I then grooved the edges to give shape.
IMG_8651.JPGIMG_8652.JPGIMG_8656.JPGIMG_8657.JPG

After gluing it on I trimmed the fat (unwanted flaps) and got the result you see here. Yes, I need to practice it a bit more to get it perfect, but for right now...baby steps.

Okay, so considering that work and school got me on SO munch crunch time, it appears that this project will have to be on hold for a a full year. but by then I'd be in a new state or location. I'll try and do small things in the meantime....like straps, holsters, and small armor pieces.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back